Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: January 15, 2017 09:45AM

5 a.m. rant: What evidence do apologists or TBM's have for the removed "plain and precious" things removed from the bible? What I mean is, the bits and pieces of text that show gaps in a narration that probably skips a chunk of information or, perhaps, an obvious reference to two or three things, but only one them remains. Perhaps an example would be Paul asking about baptism for the dead: There is no further discussion of it beyond a couple of sentences that are ambivalent; did evil men mess with this text to make it look like Christians aren't supposed to do it? Most commentary notes that Paul is talking about a sect that probably baptised for the dead (hey, like mormons!), but he doesn't condemn it; so Mormons could point to this as evidence, but it seems to me that the "evil men" would have removed this obvious mention of it.

I'm not expressing this well, but hopefully you get the gist of it. I need more coffee this morning.

There is a ton of apocryphal stuff that the Catholic Church did *not* include in the bible, but they have it; if there was some odd stuff that agreed with LDS theology they'd be all over it. If the Great and Abominable Church was so bad, you'd they would have burned or buried what they didn't agree with. Plenty of mistakes were made in the bible, but *many of those mistakes were copied over into the BoM!!*

And of course, another HUGE elephant-in-the-room problem: the BoM itself is untouched by these "evil men", so where are these Plain and Precious Truths that Jesus himself imparted that the Nephites *should* have had, but apparently Jesus neglected to mention them, and not revealed until they were given by JS to white people in the 19th Century???

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: LeftTheMorg ( )
Date: January 15, 2017 05:18PM

When I discovered the research work of Bart D. Ehrman I discovered a treasure!

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: January 15, 2017 08:09PM

So, let's speculate what some of Joseph's plain and precious truths are that are lost from the New Testament and Book of Mormon:

- one has to be married to get to heaven
- we existed in a pre-mortal state
- alcohol, coffee, and tea are bad
- black men were unworthy for a long time to hold the priesthood
- normal clothes are unfit to worship in
- the Biblical Rachel had nose piercings, these are bad
- handshakes get you into heaven
- temples are for works for the dead

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 15, 2017 08:22PM

mormon kindergarten theology at its finest.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.