Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Hamster on a Wheel ( )
Date: January 15, 2017 09:22AM

Rotherham branch is dissolving (Sheffield stake)...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: January 15, 2017 09:32AM

Happy.

Posted by: cityworker ( )
Date: January 15, 2017 09:51AM

i know the area well, drive through the area most weeks. i guess its a tough sell for the american salesmen...

i have family in the neighbouring ward

Date: January 15, 2017 10:16AM

To be fair Rotherham has a very high Muslim populace. What ward do you consider neighboring cityworker? Sheffield 1? I'm intrigued, are there any signs of defection from your family?

Posted by: cityworker ( )
Date: January 15, 2017 10:19AM

further west, hyde in manchester

not much signs of defection, though the ward isn't doing great, they are having to import leadership from other wards.

Date: January 15, 2017 10:22AM

Wowsers, imported leadership in England?! Ouch that's gotta sting.

Posted by: yorkie ( )
Date: January 15, 2017 10:48AM

Hamster on a Wheel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wowsers, imported leadership in England?! Ouch
> that's gotta sting.

Yep, happens quite a lot I understand, they're just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic......

The thing that gets me though is that members have to attend their own geographically assigned wards even where it causes them great inconvenience and a different one would be more convenient, but tscc can assign members to attend a different ward when it suits them to do so.

Posted by: edzachery ( )
Date: January 18, 2017 01:38PM

yorkie Wrote:

> they're
> just rearranging the deck chairs on the
> Titanic......

:)

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: January 15, 2017 10:04AM

Jolly good show!

Posted by: tigertom ( )
Date: January 15, 2017 12:18PM

My experience of 2 wards at opposite ends of the UK are that they are haemorrhaging members under 40. The ones that are still active aren't willing to give up their lives for the Church and would be considered social members, or they have doubts. I've seen attendance drop from 120 to less than 60 before I left, this was a newly built ward as well. They've already adjusted the boundary with the neighbouring ward to booster the numbers, they wouldn't have had any priesthood leadership otherwise. As usual new bishop called is a tyrant. One of his first moves was to make the closed ward Facebook group such that all posts had to be approved by admin. Him in other words. No surprise its going down the saw by really.

Posted by: Britboy ( )
Date: January 15, 2017 04:18PM

I wonder where they will send the Rotherham members as it's quite a journey to near by ones! When I was on my mission Hyde ward was a booming ward held up as an example to all! How times change!

Posted by: Hamster On A Wheel ( )
Date: January 15, 2017 05:22PM

Might bolster branch 4? Could split between 1st and 3rd maybe even Chesterfield? Strange times afoot.

Posted by: yorkie ( )
Date: January 15, 2017 06:08PM

Years ago Rotherham was part of Sheffield 2 ward before it became an independent branch.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: January 15, 2017 06:36PM

These tipping points are an interesting experiment. Once a ward is dissolved, I'm assuming that the remaining members won't want to travel but so far for church. Will they remain home? Will that hasten the decline? I would think so.

Posted by: F ( )
Date: January 17, 2017 08:09PM

When they pulled missionary support from a Northern European mission, loads of branches died on the vine and lots of members left the rolls because it was too far to drive to the nearest operating branch or ward.

Date: January 16, 2017 10:44AM

Jehovah's Witnesses have five congregations, churches, in Rotherham ! And seventeen churches in Sheffield including a mandarin speaking one, a Persian speaking one , a Slovak and French one too! If they can maintain five units in Rotherham but the Mormon church has none things are really in the toilet!

Date: January 16, 2017 11:29AM

From what I am given to understand from a JW friend, JW units are generally much smaller than lds though, at least in the UK. An average role call reveals between 80 and 120 on the books for a particular Kingdom Hall. And like LdS that doesn't mean all attend.

Date: January 16, 2017 04:12PM

From the 2017 Jehovah's witnesses yearbook there are 138,000 active Jehovah's witnesses in Britain! They only count those actively going door to door! That works out on average 80 ACTIVE MEMBERS PER CONGREGATION! So Rotherham would have at least 400 active Witnesses with more attending , children etc and Sheffield would have 1,360 active Witnesses! From my experience of the Mormon church in Sheffield about a 1,000 more active Witnesses than Mormons!

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: January 17, 2017 08:47PM

The JW's are every bit as rigid and authoritarian as the Mormons - why are the former having much more success than the latter?

Wouldn't the fossils in the COB like to know?

Posted by: Hamster On A Wheel ( )
Date: January 18, 2017 05:50AM

JWs shut down to all information from external sources. Ask them about the Mormon couplet of in the world but not of the world and they'll get almost apoplectic with rage that "true believers" have no place to be in the world, that's not what Jesus taught etc etc.

If the LDS church suddenly tried to enforce such a drastic change I'm sure it would create more leavers than ever before. Take my mother in law (please someone?!) She is too busy to study anything more than what she has too. She's 20 years in in a high paying (6 figure salary in UK) role, she's not incapaincapable of research. I'm imagi when she retires if she doesn't get swamped with callings she will leave too.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: January 18, 2017 01:23PM

Perhaps another reason the JWs are more successful (relatively speaking) is that they are selling the bible (even if they have an idiosyncratic view of it ;-).

The PR for the bible has been going on for millennia. Also it is (to a large extent) what it purports to be: a collection of myths legends and oral traditions from Iron Age Judea plus a mix of first-century myths, legends and, possibly, oral traditions written down decades after the claimed events. Selling the BOM is much more difficult because it's a fake - and a pretty poor one, at that. Even harder in Europe, where the American setting must be a hindrance in many cases.

But even the JWs aren't doing very well considering that overall UK population is about 63 million...

Tom in Paris

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2017 01:24PM by Soft Machine.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.