Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cftexan ( )
Date: January 14, 2017 04:32PM

So, my TBM dad is very delusional and self-righteous. I feel like he considers himself a prophet.

Well, the other day on Facebook he made a comment that, "I do get carried away defending truth. Feel kind of like Nephi when the Nephites wouldn't listen to him. Not that I am anywhere close to his purity and knowledge...At least what I see from scriptures and relentless research what is truth."
When he says, "not that I am anywhere close to his purity and knowledge"- I'm pretty certain he thinks that he is!

This comes from the guy who has lately been posting article after article from Fake News sites and who only reads Mormon written things about mormonism and god.

I can't ever discuss things with him. His view is so narrow and limited, while he thinks that he's open minded and knows everything about everything.

I just needed to vent!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: January 14, 2017 04:58PM

I would rent out one of my spare rooms to Nephi if he would pay the rent and promise not to proselytize me.

That's the thing about folks who drive us nuts: they still have their uses. We just need to think strategically about our transactions with them. I can't tell you the number of people in my life whom I detested and with whom I had little in common...but their wallets were fat. That was good enough for me.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: January 14, 2017 05:14PM

I'm sorry your Dad is so hard-assed about Mormonism. I'd steer clear of the closed conversations with him. Sometimes, hard-liners need someone or something to rail about. I wouldn't want you to be his kicking post. The Boner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2017 09:15PM by BYU Boner.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 14, 2017 08:13PM

My father claimed that he was like Alma of the Book of Mormon to one of my nephews. He said my nephew was like Helaman, the son of Alma the younger, who had fallen away.

My father, I suppose, fancied himself a great patriarch with fallen sons. He treated my brothers and me miserably, and we resented him for it. So dear old Dad had to pin his Mormon heritage hopes on a daughter's son.

Yes, Mormon men really can be that horrible.

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: January 15, 2017 12:42PM

You might want to start wearing two layers of chain mail around your necks, just in the off chance he does find himself as righteous as Nephi one evening.

Posted by: cftexan ( )
Date: January 15, 2017 02:32PM

Haha. Good thing he lives thousands of miles away then!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.