Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kativicky ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 03:08PM

I really need to vent right now. For the last two weeks, Mom has had this pain that started in her hip and groin that has been getting progressively worse each day to the point that she couldn't even walk or put weight on her leg. So at the beginning of the week she finally calls her pain management doctor to see if anything could be done so they started her on some more pain meds that were a bit stronger than the ones she has. That didn't help. Wednesday morning with the help of a local medical transport company, she goes and gets a MRI to see if they can find out what was going on. We at first had been thinking that it was her arthritis/Rheumatoid Arthritis mixed with the winter weather we had last weekend but soon realized that it wasn't. This morning Dad and I were trying to help her get from the recliner to her wheel chair so she could go to the bathroom and realized that she that she wasn't able to do anything because of the pain. She called the doctor and told them what was going on and they recommend that she finally go to the hospital.

We are not sure what is going on at all and at the time that Mom called and asked for help, they didn't have the results of the MRI yet. I had tried getting her to see the doctor last week but she thought that it would just go away and that there wasn't anything that they could do for her because she doesn't want to be operated on and now I am pretty sure that there might be an operation happening in the near future.

This puts another kink in what is already a complicated issue with my poor mom. For those who read through my threads that I posted from this summer know what crap that Mom is going through already. Up to this point, she had been doing really really good and was able to get around the house real well with the help of a walker and for a few weeks had been only using it when she left the house.

Thanks for listen. I am going to give updates as they come for those of you who are interested. Good thoughts will be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gatorman ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 03:15PM

Good thoughts to you and your mom... be certain they have ruled out a femoral neck fracture

Gatorman
9-4
13-3

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 03:18PM

My good thoughts are going out to you and to your Mom also...

I hope for the best possible outcomes for both of you.

Posted by: gowl ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 07:43PM

Groin pain is a symptom of a kidney stone. It radiates to hip and leg. I have a really bad back, and my long-term doc and I chalked it up to that. A friend recommended her doc for a second opinion, I went, CAT scan found a dime-sized stone stuck in a ureter that had to be removed. It was causing hypervolemia in my kidney.

Years ago, my mom, who suffered sciatica, had symptoms identical to those you describe, and it was a stone. She passed it. She described the stone pain as acute, sometimes more acute, than the sciatica.

With kidney stones, urine is described as "tea colored," which is blood in the urine. It doesn't always look as dark as tea, but may look darker than normal - not bright yellow.

I'm sorry about your mom. I hope the MRI finds something that can be helped.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 07:46PM

Hope they find out soon the source of her pain.

Keep us updated.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 07:49PM

Isn't it wonderful that she has you both to help look after her? Hopefully the docs will be able to get a handle on it.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 07:52PM

Good thoughts on the way.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 07:55PM

Good thoughts and well wishes your way, kat. What a sweet daughter you are. Please keep us posted.

Date: January 13, 2017 08:36PM

So I just found out what is going on with my mom. She broke her damn hip and it is not something that happened recently. She does have to have surgery but we are not sure if it is to repair the damage or if she will have to have a full hip replacement. So know that we know what is going on, we can finally get it fixed. Thanks for the good thoughts.

Date: January 13, 2017 08:39PM

And my sister in law and I think she did this right around Thanksgiving going into early December because she did trip over a little throw rug in the living room and landed on my dads tv tray by the Christmas tree.

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 09:00PM

Oh, I hope that she will be okay. Here's wishing her a quick recovery!

And wishing you comfort and any assistance that you need. Are there others around to help ease your load?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2017 09:00PM by peculiargifts.

Date: January 13, 2017 09:04PM

Yeah, I have my brother and his wife and mom has access to home health care from when she was in the hospital over the summer.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 09:42PM

I'm hoping that this is nothing too serious. Please keep venting as needed! We're here to support one another. Very best wishes for your Mom. Boner.

Date: January 14, 2017 12:02PM

I just got to the hospital to see mom. She is sleeping now and is on some morphine for the pain but she is still in a lot of pain. We are waiting on the surgeon to come so we can go over a plan of action for her hip

Date: January 14, 2017 01:18PM

I'm glad she isn't in pain! Please take good care of yourself and your Dad. Remember to eat healthy, and, if possible go outside and walk and take n some fresh air. (((Hugs))))

Date: January 14, 2017 01:26PM

The surgery will likely be a blessing in disguise. She will get the help she needs whether she wants it or not.

A family member of mine had both hips replaced. It turns out that when the surgeon went in, both hips were a lot more damaged than had been apparent on the imaging.

Date: January 14, 2017 02:44PM

Well she is going to get a partial hip replacement. she has a compacted fracture in the head of her hip joint that has been there for about 4-6 weeks which lines up with the fall she had after thanksgiving. We were given a couple of options but the partial hip replacement surgery was in moms best interest. The surgeon saids that they are going to try and get her in tomorrow morning if everything checks out. The dr did allow her to eat so I order her some scrambled eggs and an ensure drink.

Date: January 14, 2017 05:20PM

This is good news! She can receive a less intrusive surgery, be on some pain meds, and heal. Hip surgeries are very routine now a days. I wish you, your Mom, and your family happiness and health! Boner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2017 05:20PM by BYU Boner.

Date: January 14, 2017 05:27PM

I hope that everything goes well, kativicky. Hopefully your mom will start to feel more comfortable soon.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: January 14, 2017 05:33PM

Good news. I hope it all goes well and she's better than ever!

Posted by: pugsly ( )
Date: January 14, 2017 07:42PM

I hope everything goes well. Good thoughts coming your way:

Date: January 15, 2017 10:20AM

So I have some good news and mom made it out of surgery great. My Sister in Law said that she will be back in her room in about an hour. I am really glad that things went well. I wish my back and leg was in better shape that would allow me to sit for long periods of time to sit with her.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2017 10:21AM by kativicky.

Date: January 15, 2017 10:46AM

Thanks for your report! Glad to hear things went well and she'll soon be on the mend. Take care of yourself.

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: January 15, 2017 01:30PM

Excellent news! I hope that she heals quickly and well. And that you have a chance to rest, now and then.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 15, 2017 12:52PM

Hoping she get a proper diagnosis and timely treatment. Good thoughts to her and you.

RB

Date: January 15, 2017 07:08PM

Mom is doing much better tonight. Dad is staying up at the hospital with her tonight so it will be just me and the cats. My sister in law did say that mom was really mad at the world after the surgery but has since calmed down from that so I am thinking it might just had been the pain and medications coming out. We were hoping that they would let mom up and walking around tonight but they are going to wait til tomorrow to do it because of the pain. Thanks for all of the good thoughts.

Date: January 15, 2017 07:57PM

I'm glad that she's doing better! I'm going to share this with you so if it happens, you'll know that you're not alone.

Sometimes when their lives are disrupted, the elderly will get more than just mad with the world. My own mother, upon entering a skilled nursing center, asked me to get a gun and shoot her. I told her to knock it off, I loved her but not enough to go to jail for her. She quit saying it.

Another time, an aunt (who's my favorite relative) asked me the same thing. Again, I told her to knock it off. I reminded her that her son, my cousin, would have been devastated to have heard this. She told me I was right and stopped saying it.

So, your Mom may have some bad days. You'll need to become the parent to anything really childlike that just more than a venting. Reassure her, but, be firm. She's having a bad day, but that doesn't mean she has the license to hurt those around her by saying stupid shit. Very best wishes and (((hugs))). Boner.

Date: January 15, 2017 08:08PM

I really appreciate that Boner and you are right with everything you said.

I know last night around 9pm she called the house mad at my dad because he wasn't at the hospital and she demanded that he come and bring her home and start telling him that he didn't care for her and hasn't for months. My sister in law and I knew she was delirious from the pain and medication but my sil did call the hospital and talked to the nurse since mom was complaining about the pain meds not working because I had no clue how to it myself.

Date: January 15, 2017 08:20PM

Sorry, my friend, but I've experienced this too. My Mom would get urinary tract infections that gave her a kind of "situational dementia." Sometimes, things were funny (she thought we were on a cruse ship docked in Istanbul). Other times, very frightened for her (she thought aliens were stealing her body parts). Generally, I'd comfort her and then say, "Let me go talk to your doctors and nurses." I'd just go visit with the staff for a few minutes and generally she had forgotten her concerns. This is hard, but the worst, for me, was the cold mean hurtful statements.

Sometimes, my Mom would get very angry at me and call me every name in the book. On a couple of occasions, she would tell me I was trying to get her money and that she was going to sue me. These really hurt! So, what I'd do is if the anger was directed at me I'd say, "I'm sorry that you feel the way you do. I love you. And, I'm doing my best but obviously you want to say hurtful things. I'm leaving for a while, when she come back, I hope that you'll stop saying nonsense." Then, I'd leave for a couple of hours or overnight. This stopped the abusive language.

I'm not saying that your Mom is doing this. But, aging is so hard when someone's way of life is thrust from under them. Always be calm, firm, and reassuring that you love your Mom.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2017 08:21PM by BYU Boner.

Date: January 17, 2017 09:53AM

Mom is doing much better. The pain is subsiding to the point that it only hurts when she moves it which is probably normal at this point in time. Dad has been at the hospital since Sunday morning when she had her surgery and is coming home today because he has a doctors appointment that he has to go to and I need him to take me grocery shopping to get light bulbs, and cat food and probably some food for me to eat for the next few days. Mom is going to be going to a rehab facility but I haven't been given the details on it. I haven't seen mom since Saturday and I am hoping to go that I can go up today for a couple hours.

Date: January 17, 2017 11:56AM

Thanks for keeping us up to date with the news. Be sure to take care of yourself too.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.