Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 08:13PM

Girls, don't order the large dirty soda. Think Deseret, not dessert. Be careful to have no opinions, he'll tell you what you need to know. He is the priesthood to you. If your date succeeds, and temple marriage follows, you will have to obey him, so beat the rush and kowtow to him now.

And always remember, if you're chaste, you'll be chased.

Posted by: evergreen ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 05:42PM

Love the Chaste=chased

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 08:24PM

C'mon, that's not so bad. My girls would be the ones reminded not make gross noises because I believe have taught them well how to belch creatively.

This isn't a challenge for college students, right?

Posted by: Cpete ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 08:27PM

I'm glad I already graduated.
https://youtu.be/iKcWu0tsiZM

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 09:53PM

micro-management

the GAs have their surrogates say/write things they think are 'Good Ideas', but a few steps short of a full deck (not quite doctrine).

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 10:17PM

1. I never dated Mormon guys
2. I didn't go to HS in Utah

I'm scratching my head over here wondering why this is even an assignment. Why not have a class/assignment dedicated to basic manners or the signs of an abusive relationship instead of this schlock? Do girls in Utah never pay for dates, even in 2017? What if someone doesn't want to date ANYONE?

Had I a child in this class, I would be livid at this wasted of school resources, time, and paper.

Posted by: Betty G ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 10:52PM

While I don't agree that a date should be part of any homework assignment, I think those sheets actually have some good suggestions for those going on dates.

A LOT of it is common sense, but with today's kids, this might not come to their mind first.

I like how it tells girls, if you don't want to go out with the guy, tell them. Don't make up excuses.

On the otherside of the equation, guys, don't chew with your mouth open (please, oh, please, remember this one), no gross noises, be polite! Be on time, don't brag about yourself, and don't feel entitled to a kiss (or more in our society today). Don't use vulgur language or swear, and don't check out other girls on your date.

It's not just the boys that could use this advice, grown men could as well!

Appropriate as a school assignment...no. Good advice for girls and boys going on dates (and men as well I'd add), yes.

Posted by: canary21 ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 10:57PM

I did a little Google search on Utah's high rate of domestic violence and found that they have the highest rates of domestic violence at 42 percent compared to the national average which is 30 percent. They also have really high rates of domestic violence homicide and sexual assault.

Aside from this being viewed as a private, family problem, does this have anything to do with priesthood authority and the way the Mormon culture views sexual development in their culture?

Date: January 12, 2017 11:38PM

But in a nutshell, in everything I have experienced, watched other women and their children and even men experience from various cultures and subcultures, plus in-depth research on both a personal and academic level, I would say there is a strong connection between patriarchal rules and violence of any kind.

The Ancient Greeks, Romans, Chinese, and some Native American tribes had terrible social punishments for those that didn't conform to the patriarchal standards, for both men and women.

I suggest you start doing your own research to make up your own mind on this subject.

Before anyone starts whining about matriarchy, I dare you to name at least 2 matriarchal cultures without googling before running your mouth. I'll even give you with one for free, the Hopi.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 06:18AM

Didn't northeastern Indian tribes like the Algonquin have tribal councils made up completely of women? And everything got passed along matrilineal lines.

An extremely interesting question, for sure. The only ones I could think of honestly were native American Indian tribes. I don't know of any other world cultures or groups of people that have strong matriarchal notions or have cultural ideologies that promote female equality Or even superiority. But then again I didn't look on Google.

What a stupid assignment. I don't even think you should be encouraging kids that young to date. Didn't somewhere in the article I read that this was an assignment for juniors in high school? I knew a lot of people where I was from you didn't really date until they were in college. A lot of them just didn't feel comfortable doing it.

Point is, it seems like the assignment is to try and see how best one can conform to antiquated notions of not only gender stereotypes but cultural stereotypes. Who says you need to date when you're in high school? The whole suggestion that you need to prepare in someway is idiotic. The only way you need to 'prepare' is by learning not to be a schmuck, male, female, however you identify, schmucks come in all sorts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2017 06:20AM by midwestanon.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 08:13AM

took less than thirty seconds...

http://mentalfloss.com/article/31274/6-modern-societies-where-women-literally-rule

http://www.heliotricity.com/matriarchalsocieties.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2017 08:15AM by anybody.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 08:40AM

I wasn't discounting the possibility that other societies existed, just stating that I only knew of the ones that existed in North America. Jeesh.

Date: January 13, 2017 10:47AM

I honestly am not as up to speed as I would like to be on the eastern tribes as the plains, southwestern, and pacific northwestern ones.

The only other matriarchal societies that still exist that come to my mind (and the names never stay in my mind) are a tribe of women in an African country, a small province with a tribe in China, and a few tribes in the southwest USA.

"Point is, it seems like the assignment is to try and see how best one can conform to antiquated notions of not only gender stereotypes but cultural stereotypes. Who says you need to date when you're in high school? The whole suggestion that you need to prepare in someway is idiotic. "

I agree with this wholeheartedly. I had boyfriends regularly in high school and while I don't regret those decisions, that boy-crazy energy would have been better spent in studying and working on making myself emotionally and mentally well. Not everyone is ready to have a romantic partner at that age or even go on casual dates and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

If that school wants to teach a class on "adulting" as the kids call it today, they need to start moving into the modern age with all its issues and problems *today* instead of looking back several decades ago.

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 07:04PM

Date: January 13, 2017 11:16PM

ltzpaplotl, I have done research on the cultural norms of Mormonism and my Mormon neighbor even admitted to me that the church is patriarchal.

After reading the article where it mentioned that Utah has a much higher rate of domestic violence compared to the national statistic, I googled to find some information on their statistics.
And I did not just wish to say something negative about Mormonism under assumption, so I just asked.

Date: January 13, 2017 11:17PM

Oh, yes, when I said "how they view sexual development" I meant normal sexual things like masturbation.

Date: January 13, 2017 11:54PM

I want you to know I wasn't being condescending or rude. I encourage people to read as much as they can about a subject, study their own lives in regards and the world around them.

Being blunt is either a virtue or an annoyance. ;)

Mormonism is as patriarchal as it gets and you understood that intuitively, I think.

Sexual development in Mormon culture is a dismaying, painful issue and it's surprising when people get out unscathed. Here's a post I wrote a few years ago about my "masturbation problem":
http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,466411,466411

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 01:03AM

Saw this first the other day on KK's post. Quite alarming. Some good suggestions but also noticed, besides the redickulousness of it all, that the girl's assignment was printed on PINK paper and the boy's on BLEU.

Is etiquette taught alongside delicate education, pseudo religion, or proper MANners? HELLO! A $5 date is the problem!! Give the kids $50 (at least) and they may not HAVE TO "park".

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 10:33AM

"don't feel entitled to kiss or more" hmmm, sounds as if they are suggesting guys will take advantage?

"don't correct his personal habits" sounds like girls are overly critical and annoying?

Ya the assignment needs some rewording/reworking.

Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 10:50AM

In the first place, it says that the boys made the list for the girls and the girls made the list for the boys. I don't believe it. Girls want flowers and gifts on their dates? That could be true, but it sounds 50s-ish. I think parents made the lists.

Also, I saw similar lists when I was a teenager in the 70s. This is just updated with technology and stuff. I remember one item on the 70s list for girls from guys "Boys dislike hanging bra straps." Now exposed bra straps are in style.

Posted by: T ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 07:04PM

Which boys dislike hanging bra straps? I'd like to meet him.

Posted by: kativicky ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 11:01AM

I don't agree that a teacher should assign a date as a homework assignment. But in terms of real life for anyone going out on a date, these are some really good suggestions to go by.

Posted by: Mom2boys ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 09:45PM

What a horrible assignment. I had a hard time even reading through all the suggestions. I would not want my son to read that assignment let alone do it. If i had an assignment like that I would be offended. If my son ever came home with something like that, I would not be allowing him to do the assignment and would expect he would not be penalized.

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 10:35PM

If my daughter had come home with this assignment, I would be livid. This is a public high school. It does say this is a "financial literacy and adult roles" course but I see LDS overtones throughout in regards to gender roles.

Posted by: Anonnonnon ( )
Date: January 14, 2017 01:20AM

I wish it wasn't so assumptive of heterosexuality and traditional gender roles.

Posted by: ericka ( )
Date: January 14, 2017 01:47AM

Ok kids, sorry your parents didn't teach you basic manners. This goes for both boys and girls.

Until you learn how to be polite, have good table manners, and engage in everyday conversation, you shouldn't be dating unless someone begs you to go out with them. Even then, take a crash course.

It's crazy that kids aren't being taught the very basics of table, and social manners. Shame on their parents.

My kids used to get mad when I put them through table manner drills. Now they thank me. They know which fork, which glass, to use. They know to put a napkin in their lap. Etc. I even went so far as to teach them how to do proper table settings.

So far, all of them have needed this info. All of them have thanked me for teaching them what the different plates, glasses, and utensils are for. They can set an appropriate table, and they can dine at the fanciest places with no fear. ALL kids need this information. At the top of my manner list is chew with your mouth SHUT! Nobody wants to see that, it's disgusting. My kids have bought me some very nice dinners to thank me for teaching them to not make idiots out of themselves.

May the good times keep going.

Posted by: ericka ( )
Date: January 14, 2017 02:02AM

If you're going to a place where you're not sure of protocol/table manners, get online and read up!

There's a lot of info about basic manners. In some situations they can make or break you. Don't look like a slob and an idiot. Read up. Practice. Dress for the occasion.

I came from a backwoods Idaho farm mentality. My parents moved to the big city when I was young. They kept their mentality. I knew i'd have to learn a few things.

I was very very lucky. When I was in 7th grade, the girls were required to take home economics. Same with 8th grade. I was lucky enough to have a teacher from back east. She worked long hard hours teaching us how to hostess, how to entertain CEO's, how to set a table, How to do flower arrangements, how to dress, what to serve, and when. She even taught us how to make coffee and when to serve it. Same with cocktails. I owe so much to that lady. She helped me help my husband be a vp of a very large company. We didn't have to be rich, we just needed to know the in a and outs of manners, entertaining, and the art of conversation. These were things I had zero idea of as a mormon.

Thank you Mrs.Dodge. I wish I could tell you how much you helped me through the tough times. I would''t have had an idea of what a Martini is, let alone ho to pour one. You're a nevermo, but you sure helped me. Thank you so much.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 14, 2017 02:25AM

Homework? This sounds more like Schoolwork!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.