Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: canary21 ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 02:23PM

Last Sunday during a fast and sacrament meeting, one woman around my age went up to the podium to bear her testimony and said "how taking sacrament is a true privilege."

I remember sitting there thinking "You are absolutely wrong." Sacrament and communion represent the body of Christ. When Christ died, he paid the ultimate price for all our sins we will ever commit in a lifetime. His sacrifice gave us the GIFT of salvation and eternal life. Therefore, taking sacrament is a free gift and not a privilege. It is for everyone.

What's interesting about this person is that she wants to serve a mission but her husband is a Jew and she wouldn't want to leave him behind (she is a convert to the church). All I have to say is: you're not going to convert many people with that kind of mentality.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 02:58PM

in the mormon church, taking the sacrament is considered a privilege. They say only the worthy should partake. Then they look around and see who is not partaking, and wonder what sin they committed.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 03:51PM

Its a privilege in the Mormon and Catholic Churches. As far as I can tell, Jesus has never bothered to say how he feels about that.

Even as a Mormon, I thought the Sacrament had pretty strong mumbo-jumbo overtones, as did consecrated oil.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2017 03:52PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 07:00PM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Its a privilege in the Mormon and Catholic
> Churches. As far as I can tell, Jesus has never
> bothered to say how he feels about that.
>

You are right, the idea of "worthiness" in partaking never came from Jesus, but Paul.

(1 Cor.11.27)

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 05:45AM

In Catholicism, a member is expected to confess his or her sins anonymously, and perform a small penance (usually a set of prayers or the rosary.) Then the member is free to partake of communion. But (generally speaking) anyone who shows up at the altar will be given communion. It's not like they do a check. It is extremely rare for a priest to deny communion to someone.

Date: January 12, 2017 07:05PM

canary21 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Last Sunday during a fast and sacrament meeting,
> one woman around my age went up to the podium to
> bear her testimony and said "how taking sacrament
> is a true privilege."
>
> I remember sitting there thinking "You are
> absolutely wrong." Sacrament and communion
> represent the body of Christ. When Christ died, he
> paid the ultimate price for all our sins we will
> ever commit in a lifetime. His sacrifice gave us
> the GIFT of salvation and eternal life. Therefore,
> taking sacrament is a free gift and not a
> privilege. It is for everyone.
>
> What's interesting about this person is that she
> wants to serve a mission but her husband is a Jew
> and she wouldn't want to leave him behind (she is
> a convert to the church). All I have to say is:
> you're not going to convert many people with that
> kind of mentality.

Scripturally speaking, according to Paul, partaking of the body and blood of Jesus unworthily is a sin against the body and blood of Christ.

""26For as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until He comes. 27Therefore, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. 28Each one must examine himself before he eats of the bread and drinks of the cup.…""

Date: January 12, 2017 10:34PM

Thanks for the bible passage, angela.

Repentance onto the Lord is important, but communion and sacrament is still a free gift to all.

liesarenotuseful, I know that about the church. From what I know, people who cannot partake in sacrament get talked about and talk spreads like wildfire in the church. Know anyone who has ever had to be excluded from taking sacrament?

Date: January 12, 2017 10:50PM

When you say free gift to all, what do you mean specifically ?

Going all the way back to early Christianity, not just anyone or everyone was allowed to partake.

http://www.christianitytoday.com/history/2008/august/early-christian-eucharist.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2017 10:54PM by angela.

Date: January 12, 2017 11:09PM

When Jesus died, he did it for everyone. It was a gift.

Date: January 13, 2017 07:53AM

Oh ok, thanks. :)

I thought you were speaking specifically of what is known as partaking of Communion/Eurcharist/ etc., within Christianity.

Both scripture and history show us that is/was never meant to be distributed to everyone, available to all. Only those in *communion* within the communities, (that is why it's called *communion*; one was in communion with not only the Body of Christ, but with the community itself), after having been baptized, were permitted to partake of the consecrated bread and wine.

The open communion where anyone can partake, depending on the denomination, is actually a newer development, historically speaking.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2017 07:56AM by angela.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 01:35AM

I remember my last one.

I was on my way out (had been inactive in TMC and very active in life, and reality, for a long time) when all came to a head and I came to rfm.

One fat & testicle meat-eating I was sitting on the back row (with a gap between the tight rows so the deacons passed to each one individually) while the sacrilegious mint was being passed, like gas, so I partook of the bread.

Then the water came around and the kid passed it to the dudes next to me and then turned and walked out the doors to the foyer to catch the morons therein. All the remaining blokes were standing at attention waiting for the dude to return so they could all approach the bench together.

When he entered the chapel I said, "you skipped me". He then had no choice but to offer me the water to wash down the bread. Imagine what the bishop-men thought when they observed my honorably completing the ritual. It was clear then and there that moron sacrament was fixed on judging others - seeing it up close - though I knew already, that was the case.

I already knew it was a farce but I also knew that would be the last time I would ever again participate in that lame, dogmatic richual and I've been drinking wine (wine not?) ever since, in MANY a church service, far and wide. NEVER in any true church does another judge on another's right (privileged?hahaahhhaaha) for the sacrament. Judge not, lest ye be judged!

Morons

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.