Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Craig C ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 10:10AM

There are now two MormonLeaks websites. I regret the confusion this has created, and I hope this post will help explain how this came to be.

I am the owner of most of the domain names for MormonLeaks, including mormonleaks.com, mormonleaks.org, and a few others. The website that I operate with two other people is here:

http://mormonleaks.com

For about five years, I have worked with two friends to build the MormonLeaks, a website dedicated to the use of computing tools and historical evidence to figure out where Mormonism really came from.

About a month ago, Ryan McKnight, a person who has now released insider Church videos and financial information, contacted me about buying MormonLeaks.

We turned him down.

For a time, Mr. McKnight used the name "MormonWikiLeaks", but a few days ago, he unexpectedly trademarked the name "MormonLeaks", and he is now using the domain name mormonleaks.io. As it turns out, this is a domain name that I did not purchase.

I do not know Mr. McKnight personally, but now I am now receiving email for him, some of it hate mail.

We have responded by posting the following note at the landing spot for our site:

**Many visitors to this site may have seen reference to "Mormon Leaks" in the news, involving the publication of internal documents and videos of the LDS Church in Salt Lake City, Utah. The individuals behind this effort are in no way affiliated with us, and we do not have an explicit opinion supporting or denouncing their efforts. We want to make it clear that we are in no way associated with or connected to the recently posted leaks from the LDS Church on Reddit, or the video series on YouTube that have been published under the same name.**

Craig Criddle

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 11:10AM

Thank you for the explanation.

As a fan of your work, is there a timeframe for when you plan on releasing episodes 7 and 8?

Date: January 12, 2017 01:13PM

Thank you, Hangar XVIII.

It's really encouraging to hear that you have enjoyed mormonleaks.

Episode 7 is close to completion after more than 2 years in preparation. It covers scripture published between 1830 and 1835. We have a lot still to do on Episode 8. It will cover scripture generated in the 1836-1844 time period.

I'm a bit leery of giving out dates when we will make releases, but I am hopeful that we can have Episode 7 done within two months. We expected to have it done this month, but we were hacked over the holiday, and we've had to spend a lot of time recovering lost material and protecting the site.

Craig

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 01:40PM

Thank you for this explanation.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 02:00PM

mormonleaks."io"?

Never heard of that one.

You'd better make sure you own the rights to mormonleaks.eieio.

(Just trying to inject a little levity here....)

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 02:36PM

If they've registered a trademark, you'd better talk to an intellectual property attorney ASAP.

Posted by: Headache ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 05:57PM

Part of the trademark law is who used it first and associability of the trademark to the product. Think of thst woman who sued JK Rowling over her use of muggle since she owned the trademark on muggle, not JK. But if you go back in time, first use of the word muggle was by Louis Armstrong.
Application for a trademark plus his notoriety he may be able to wrest one of them out of your hands. Frys did it.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 06:11PM

Craig -

A bit of a bummer. But could you guys link to each others sites? Maybe it will increase traffic.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 10:42PM

Also, be aware that whenever McKnight mentions MormonLeaks on the other site, he puts a (TM) after it. Is this his way of saying he trademarked the name?

Date: January 12, 2017 11:24PM

Yes, I think that's the idea.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 02:03AM

Hey CC - I appreciate your work, and play! And, as I would say... "I'm a leaker, and a spiller" (and that's pretty killer) - 'my coffee cup runneth over' so send red rover right over!

M@t

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.