Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 12:14AM

Can anyone tell me how much info is revealed in an IP address? I know that it is possible to look up the IP address of anyone who posts on a site and I'm just wondering how much is revealed in that?

I was also just spooked a bit because I just entered a comment on a random site and my url was shown as my house number and street. I'm not sure how that information appeared there.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 12:17AM

If given the correct access to your ISP's records, with your IP address we can all assemble in your driveway and sing, "Give Said the Little Stream."

It can also be done with your wifi:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/geolocation/

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1668304/how-does-google-calculate-my-location-on-a-desktop

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2017 12:23AM by Tall Man, Short Hair.

Posted by: ericka ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 12:20AM

At which time i'd show up and hose you down with a not so little stream from the garden hose. Cheryl taught me that.

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 12:27AM

Cheryl was no fun at all. When we showed up at her house we tried singing, "The Golden Plates Lay Hidden," but she just picked up rocks and threw them at us while shouting, "Here's your Golden Plates!"

Posted by: Redneck Wonderland ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 10:01AM

Your ip address isn't linked to a physical address. Basically the public ip, mac address (device address (00:A1:B2:C3:D4:E6), operating system, browser version, plugins like java, flash, ect. Your modems mac address is usually removed from the headers after it leaves isp network. The modem mac would be tied to your account number.

Your private information is kept in separate databases. If your account number is leaked then so could your physical address, phone, billing info, credit card. Your isp could be sued for the privacy breach.

Your ip address only locates you to a region. When I look up my ip it usually shows me as being in a city 30 miles away.

Most likely your address was either entered on that site by you or it was stored in a advertising cookie from another site you visited.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 05:29PM

I would think all they could see is just the IP address, so if you change user names they could still see if it's coming from the same computer. But I don't think they could see where your network is (router) or home address?

Maybe Susan or Erik could enlighten us on what an admin can see?

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 11:45AM

IP addresses are able to be looked up to a specific location, down to exact street addresses, or longitude/latitude coordinates accurate down to fractions of a second of arc.

However, they may not be *right.*

If you're using cable internet, for example, your IP address that's visible to the outside world varies from day to day, even hour to hour. That's because it comes from a pool of IP addresses that your internet provider keeps, and dynamically dishes out as its users get on/off the internet. That way they don't have to reserve one IP address for every one of their users, because they're not all on-line at the same time. You share a pool.

And those IP addresses all "look up" to one of the service provider's server locations, not to your house. So if everyone in your neighborhood has Cox cable internet, all of them would appear to have a "location" of the nearest Cox server farm, not any of their homes.

If your hosting company uses static IP addresses, then the situation is different...but hardly any do.

This might help:

https://www.iplocation.net/

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.