Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bettydee ( )
Date: January 11, 2017 06:57PM

I sent my resignation letter to SLC two weeks ago an cc/sent a copy to the asshat Stake President of the Tallahassee Florida Stake.

Although I have not been active in almost 10 years this asshats recent actions regarding my daughter led me to make my exit official.A very detailed letter with documents confirming the actions of the P O S was included. It is more then apparent SLC did not take the time and or did not give a damn about the reasons for my exit and I was sent the standard pre typed fill in the blank letter.

Has anyone actually met with there ward bishop or been contacted by him after receiving one of these dumb ass letters?

Disgusted with religion as a whole!

Thanks for letting me vent.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 11, 2017 07:53PM

I got the same letter years ago. The bishop called me, insisting he needed instructions about my kids. I didn't meet with him. I confirmed who I was over the phone and told him I wanted no contact.

A lot of people ignore the letter. You already informed them. You're out. You can ignore their attempts to contact you. Their lame ecclesiastical rules are their problem, not yours.

Sometimes they fish to see if they can find a way to ex you instead of letting you resign. That makes them feel better if they can say you were a bad person and leaving was YOUR fault and not the fact that the church is stupid.

Whatever you decide to do, do it on your terms. Congratulations on your exit!

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 11, 2017 08:15PM

I did it by email. I told them I had not considered myself Mormon for decades, therefore had no membership number or whatever, and I told them explicitly that this was NOT to be referred to a bishop. That my name was to be taken off their records immediately. I received the letter saying I was out after a week and a half without any of the "ecclesiastical matter" nonsense.

Posted by: canary21 ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 02:32PM

Email SLC back and and be respectfully blunt to them. Keep it short and to the point.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 02:53PM

Bunch of silly nonsense from the LDS Church that you can ignore.
Once they get your letter of resignation, you are out, done, no longer a member. They have no right to contact you again. You are not a member. What they do with their bookkeeping is their business, not yours.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 03:02PM

I got a call from the bish (never met him face to face or been in his church) and he asked if I was certain of my decision. I replied that I was and he replied that he'd waive the usual 30 day waiting (in case I fucking change my mind?) period and process my request ASAP. A couple weeks later I got the "YER OUT AND NOW YER GOING STRAIGHT TO HELL IN THE EXPRESS ELEVATOR 'CAUSE THE LARDS BLESSING ARE FOREVER LOST TO YOU" letter.

RB

Posted by: canary21 ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 11:15PM

Will you share it on RFM?

I wish RFM had one of those 'upload' or 'attach' abilities. That way, we can share photos and other kinds of things.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2017 11:16PM by canary21.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 11:24PM

You can see pretty much all of the correspondence here

http://www.salamandersociety.com/x-files/

Posted by: Happy2BeMe ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 11:30PM

Are people misreading what you wrote?
When I read what you wrote I think what you're saying is wishing the Bishop would at least care enough to talk to you. Is that correct?
Thanks.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 01:55AM

The bishop (I'd never met) called one Wednesday evening asking if I was ME and really wanted OUT, while I was at another religious (community) church event.

Said I, YES, and, without a doubt, I've got to go. And THAT WAS THAT!

M@t

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 05:39AM

The "ecclesiastical matter" letter is standard, although lately some people receive it and some don't. No, you don't have to meet or speak with the bishop, although it can help in some cases to speed things up. Given your situation with your daughter, I wouldn't bother. If you don't receive your final confirmation letter within 60 days, give the Member Records department in SLC a call and they will finalize the process.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 06:09AM

Just one last controlling grab at you. Legally, you were out as soon as you posted the letter. And now you can do it by E-mail, so why even use the post?

Posted by: lolly 18 ( )
Date: January 14, 2017 08:01PM

The bishop is the one who processes resignations, not the SP.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: January 14, 2017 10:21PM

Wanna be free? Get free! Like me.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.