Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Stacia ( )
Date: January 11, 2017 01:28AM

Are there any people on here who are currently studying, or have at one time studied, at BYU Provo or Hawaii? I am curious how many people have managed to fake their beliefs in order to get cheap tuition... I've been wondering, because I know I cannot be the only one...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: January 11, 2017 10:57AM

I went to Provo's happy little 4 year high school extension in the 70's...attracted by financial consideration, plus a sweet spirit I dated during the summer talked me into applying.

I went as a non-believer who was willing to study my way into believing. I spent a lot of extra-curricular time in the library. All that study served to cement my lack of belief.

I graduated as a non-elder...

Posted by: BYU Atheist ( )
Date: January 11, 2017 05:41PM

Am currently at BYU Provo. I can't possibly recommend it for any except the very most ardent Mormons.

Posted by: canary21 ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 02:36PM

How much longer do you have until you graduate?

Date: January 13, 2017 02:22AM

Around a year or so. I was figured this was a cheap option for an undergraduate degree. It is not too terrible, but I had never expected it to be so...cult-like. I've known for years that the church is a cult, but this school has brought it to a whole new level.

Posted by: Pariah ( )
Date: January 11, 2017 06:04PM

I was too busy to go to my BYU ward. The girls in my dorm didn't give me a hard time about it--one less girl to compete with for the three decent guys there. When I moved in with my hometown friends (we could choose our roommates the second year), they didn't go to church, either. We were good kids, and good students, and only broke the dress codes and curfew a few times--but never drank or had sex, or rebelled. I did tell people that I was going to my relatives' ward, and my aunt and uncle were jack Mormons, so they backed me up on that. My parents at home thought I was going to my student ward. I never went even once--so none of the priesthood guys knew I existed, and I was safe under the radar.

My advice is to not go to your assigned ward in the first place, and stay off their rolls. Invent a relative, and disappear somewhere on Sundays, saying you are going to the relative's ward. You can find someplace to hide out, that's open on Sundays, and you might meet some other cool kids there. You might have to walk a couple of miles off campus, but that's good exercise, and maybe you would rather walk 4 miles in snow than go to church.

Friends, dating, skiing, sports, and studying. I had a good time at BYU. Hated the religion classes, though. I would sit in the back and write letters home.

Date: January 13, 2017 02:25AM

Thank you for the advice! I've been saying that I have been going to a friend's ward for the past month because he is not comfortable going alone... While they commended the "service" I was still berated and told I must attend my assigned ward. If you don't mind my asking, what years did you attend?

Posted by: canary21 ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 02:34PM

Stacia, did you convert or were you BIC and are now wanting to leave it?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2017 02:36PM by canary21.

Date: January 13, 2017 02:19AM

BIC but I have not believed since I was 11. I continued to go to keep up appearances because my parents are true believers. I have planned for the past handful of years to just discreetly leave...

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 02:46PM

I went there my freshman year in the late 70's. Yep, faked belief for the beaches, bikinis and pakaloco. Forgettable education, great tan.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.