Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: January 10, 2017 10:43PM

Admittedly, the Young Boner was pretty trusting and naive. So, it should come as no surprise that I asked two church leaders at BYU if I should pay tithing on the money my parents gave me for school. Both said the same thing, "If tithing has been paid on the money, then you do not need to pay tithing." Okay, I said, but my parents were non-Mormons and obviously did not tithe. Then, I was told, I needed to pay tithing on the money they gave me.

My folks gave me $100 each month for school. $50 went for rent (6 guys in a 3 bedroom apartment). That left $50 for food or anything else I needed. So, I paid $10 to my BYU Ward each month. That, of course, left me $40 for the month.

My Dad told me he didn't want me working, he wanted me studying. Because of my learning issues, he was probably right that studying was more important than a student job. To my credit, I did graduate when I was 21 and have worked hard ever since.

Even as a tender Boner, it struck me how unfair it was that my roommates never were required to pay tithing because their parents did.

Just curious, anyone else out there young and dumb to tithing?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: January 10, 2017 11:26PM

it never occurred to me to pay tithing on the meager amount of money my parents gave me to live on at Ricks, or to ask about it.

I did pay tithing on the money I got for working.

Posted by: blakballoon ( )
Date: January 10, 2017 11:41PM

I was such a Pharisee about tithing *sigh
I remember having my tithing envelope stolen by a YW investigator I was giving a ride to church to. So of course I repaid the tithing.. a test of faith an' all

My biggest dilemma was whether to pay tithing on the money mum would send me each time she won on the horses:D

Date: January 10, 2017 11:45PM

I once won $300 playing the slots, and (((alas))) I did tithe!

Posted by: blakballoon ( )
Date: January 11, 2017 08:16AM

Ha ha! I honestly can't remember if I paid tithing on it or not.
I remember thinking it was kinda 'ill gotten' or dirty money, or something. It was always great though, to receive it in the mail!

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 11, 2017 12:34AM

My mission prez required us mishies to prove to him that we were tithing on our [barely] monthly living expense. We had to get a printout from the ward-branch that we were paying 13 out of meekly 130. Anybody that failed to comply had to endure an extra-lengthy interview. Almost everyone not in compliance came out crying, teary-eyed from a 90 minute interview.

My point: Depending on the church leader will yield a different interpretation of what tithing was supposed to be paid on.

And the dumb clucks that are supposed to be inspired/chosen to lead; never have clarified what was to be tithed. In fact, I personally believe that they love that there is murkiness. They truly delight in the idea of double even triple tithing the same source of money.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2017 10:07AM by messygoop.

Posted by: Anon4now ( )
Date: January 11, 2017 03:30AM

Talk about unrighteous dominion. What an asshole bully. Wait, I take part of that back.The asshole's actually a hard working part of the body that's essential to good health. Definitely can't say that about this guy. Also, when I was at an lds church college, I found out the hard way that complaining to the SP gets you marked as having an attitude problem and so more closely watched/questioned. I got out in a few months, once I found out Pell grants aren't dependent on which college you pick, much less church attendance, and state schools might even have better scholarships. (It's embarrassing to admit ever being that gullible. But education in a small 95%+ lds town is a whole other topic.)

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: January 11, 2017 09:19AM

Here is what I suggest as a method of paying tithing. Cash out each paycheck you receive, and put the cash on your desk or dresser top before bed. In your prayers, invite god to take how ever much of it he wants. At night while you sleep, god will then come and take his share. Whatever is left of it in the morning, is yours. Then you can feel good that you're giving god, the portion of your income that he expects from you. Problem solved!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2017 09:19AM by azsteve.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 11, 2017 10:06AM

azsteve Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In your prayers, invite god to take how ever
> much of it he wants. At night while you sleep, god
> will then come and take his share. Whatever is
> left of it in the morning, is yours.

I've done that, steve. "God" never took anything.
Which makes sense when you think about it -- why would an all-powerful "god" need money?

So, clearly: it's men claiming to speak for "god" that want your money. Not "god." He never takes any. :)

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 11, 2017 10:10AM

I liked a similar version of throwing all your earnings into the air to allow God to take whats his and what lands back on the ground is yours.

Date: January 11, 2017 11:14AM

Well, fuck, I've done this with Uncle Sam, and the money gets taken. Oh no, you don't suppose that government is god? :)

Posted by: Serge ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 12:20PM

I think that is a great idea. If God wants his money, then come and get. Speaking of tithing, I have been our ward financial clerk for the past 18 months. I told my wife early last year that we were not going to pay tithing. She kind of freaked out and jokingly stated that I should worry about being struck by lightening. As you all know, tithing settlement happens at the end of the year. I was waiting for the Bishop to call me into his office as we did not attend settlement this year. He has not to this point. I was also expecting to be released from my calling. This also has not happened. He even submitted the tithing settlement declaration to SLC and I saw that we were declared as non-payers. Crazy.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: January 11, 2017 09:49AM

I use to tithe on money earned through a paycheck. But as a young adult who was in college, I never had that much money to even be bothered by tithing. Now a sibling of mine worked in a Mormon owned ice cream shop for less than minimum wage. Somehow in Utah its legal and proper to pay workers less than federal laws require? They laid the guilt on thick for the young women and had to fork over piles of cash for girls camp as well. And raise funds for those girls who didn't have enough money to go.

Posted by: anon exmo ( )
Date: January 11, 2017 10:42AM

My son did some work for a TBM. When it came time for the TBM to pay him, the TBM came prepared with a check for 90% of the pay, 10% of the pay in cash, and a tithing envelope/slip. Then the TBM sat there while my son filled out the tithing slip, then took the envelope to give to the Bishop. WTF!!

Date: January 11, 2017 11:17AM

"Free agency and how to enforce it." Now available at Desecrated Books by Barnabas A. Boner.

Posted by: Former Finance Clerk ( )
Date: January 14, 2017 05:59AM

What the hell...really?

Wow, that's just mind-blowingly nuts! Even when I paid a full tithe, I would have thought that was completely screwed up.

Can't believe how insane that is...

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 11, 2017 12:21PM

When I got to Ricks dad set up an account for me at a local bank and would send money down to it every month. It never occurred to me to pay tithing on it and I was never told by the bishop I had to.

RB

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: January 11, 2017 01:26PM

it is agonizing just to hear about that arrangement.....because that is exactly how god damn dumb that my family was on the matter of tithing and being MORmONS, and exactly how they expected me to operate ...... and most unfortunately I did as they expected.

In the end, the MORmON breathUrine got "their" money first, just as they always did, just as my DUMB ASS MORmON parents insisted that they would, and they got so much that they could do stupid crap like knocking down malls and building new ones with convertible roof sections just for their kicks, while I ended up GOING WITH OUT of so much and seriously financially disadvantaged for the rest of my life, IE paying student loans and interest on the money that the MORmON breathUrine took from me for their way overpriced and not very worthwhile MORmON version of an education. .....well I damn sure learned my lesson now !!!!

I am still fighting with my STUPID TBM mom over this insane crap.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 11:59AM

God, the mormon church is an organized crime syndicate. Stuff like this is absolutely criminal. And even if they don't tell you to tithe on stuff like that, the fact that any bishop will take it without telling you that it's not necessary makes them a co-conspirator.

My dad gave every extra penny he ever had to the syndicate. Now he's in a nursing home being paid for by the taxpayers. They will attach his life insurance when he dies. My mom will get by fine as long as she can stay in her home. If not, we have to hope there will still be long-term welfare in place for her also--even though they vote for that to end.

But what is my dad doing while the taxpayers are supporting him? Still tithing on what Social Security, retirement and veterans care that he gets. And he tithed on his gross when he was working. The amount he's paying in tithing would go a long way in just one year toward having a little bit of savings for my mom and her future needs. But no. Can't get to heaven and have the Godfather say "what??? You took care of your wife instead of paying me while you were on welfare?? Off to outer darkness for you!"

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 12:27PM

I teach at a community college, and about five or six years ago I had an older (maybe late 50s) female student who was very low-income; she was in recovery from a substance abuse problem she'd had for many years and was living and working part-time at a halfway house for other recovering addicts--basically getting free rent in exchange for the work she did there, plus a minimal living stipend. She also received financial aid for her tuition and some aid (I don't know how much) from her local ward. She told me she had been raised Mormon, fallen away from the church for many years, but was attending again now that she was sober.

Anyway, I forget how to it came up--maybe we were discussing her financial issues at one point--but she mentioned that her bishop expected her to tithe on the aid she was receiving from her ward (!) AND on her financial aid. I asked why the ward didn't just give her 10% less money--what was the point of tithing on charitable aid they were giving her? I don't recall her response, to be honest.

However, while that confused me, the fact that her bishop said she needed to tithe on her financial aid for school **infuriated** me. It was federal and state taxpayer-funded aid, and it is supposed to be spent on school and basic living expenses ONLY. I don't know if it's generally LDS policy to tell students they must tithe on financial aid, but if it is, I would consider that fraud.

Posted by: Former Finance Clerk ( )
Date: January 14, 2017 06:04AM

There is no "handbook" policy that requires tithing on financial aid. That sounds like something the bishop made up.

As that is tax money that is meant to pay for educational expenses, it would be completely INAPPROPRIATE to pay tithing on it as it is NOT income.

Another example of an a-hole bishop...

As far as Church aid, it makes no sense to tithe on that, plus the handbook points out that a person who is totally dependent on church welfare is not obligated to pay tithing. (Not sure if that applies here or not).

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 05:16PM

My apostasy began early. I never believed the LDS church had a right to one penny of my money...ever...even back when dad paid me a $0.50/week allowance or when I got my first summer paying job. He never told me I should pay tithing either. He was a good dad that way.

RB

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 03:31AM

TSCC gets you coming and going.

That was school, not increase!

Pick pockets!!

Posted by: brianberkeley ( )
Date: January 14, 2017 12:44AM

I can say with pride that I never paid tithing.

When asked I would say that I need the money more than a shopping mall.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 14, 2017 01:38AM

I seem to remember telling my SP...just before i left on mish that I wasn't a FTP....

Regardless, away I went!

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: January 14, 2017 04:24AM

Mormoni/ the ldsC is so quick to conflate your private gifts, rewards, finds, earnings/ pay with it's TAKE; to confuse any increase by you as a gift-increase to the "church" (of the latter day suckers); to assume that just because you made out, worked hard, found treasure, got lucky or traded work for pay that they were entitled to gain, prosper or get a bonus too!

It's like the robber that follows you to the atm, EVERY WEEK: you take money out and they CONSTANTLY attempt to atake it out of you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2017 04:28AM by readwrite.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.