Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: January 10, 2017 09:21PM

A Sister Missionary and a woman I know from the ward I once attended came over to my house to try and convince me to allow my kids to come to church. After some chit chat the Sister Missionary asked me why I no longer believed in the church.
I told her I couldn't get any honest answers, so I did the research and followed the logic to the only real possible conclusion, based upon the overwhelming evidence that Joseph Smith is a fraud and a con man, that the First Vision never happened, the Book of Mormon is a poorly written plagiarized collection of 18th Century naive, racist myths.
She was taken aback and asked me how I drew those conclusions.
I said, because my children asked me honest questions and I felt they deserved honest answers, not just the pablum that satisfied the past 5 generations of my family.
She asked me if I still believed in God.
I said, "Which one, there are 300million in the Hindu pantheon alone. I like the God of Einstein, only one who does play dice with the universe, on a sub atomic level, like the God Particle works, only the dice are loaded, in favor of life. Otherwise we wouldn't be here."
She said, "Do you think that your beliefs will get you to into heaven?"
I said, "Do you think your beliefs make you more worthy to enter into heaven than Mother Theresa?"
She said, "Yes. She can't get into the Celestial Kingdom as a Catholic. She can only get in as a Mormon."
I said, "So you believe that God is more likely to let even the worst Mormon on the planet into heaven than Mother Theresa, who devoted her life to serving God by serving the most vulnerable people in the world?"
She denied that she said that.
I just shook my head and said, "I have no desire to share the afterlife with my Mormon relatives. They're racist, sexist and homophobic. Why would I want to spend an eternity with them? I'd rather hang out in Hell and listen to Hendrix and Cobain for eternity."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: January 10, 2017 09:28PM

"She can only get in as a Mormon." Well, at least the sister knows her Mormon Doctrine and doesn't lie about it, unlike a certain "prophet" who appeared on 60 minutes.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: January 10, 2017 10:34PM

Given that Mother Theresa was a fraud, she might be right.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 11, 2017 03:09AM

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: January 11, 2017 03:39AM

^^^ ^^^ ^^^

My opinion as well.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 11, 2017 07:12AM

Here's what Stephen Fry said about joining your relations in the celestial kingdom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzfCtGFgRSk

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 11, 2017 05:22AM

Well, isn't she special? lol

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: January 11, 2017 07:35AM

You could have said that you don't want your kids to grow up to be missionaries. I hope she has fun in her imaginary kingdom gulag that she's sacrificing so much for.

You want your kids to have a healthy view of the world, not some twisted culty view that stunts their emotional growth.

Posted by: Backseater ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 09:54AM

A post here some time ago quoted a missionary saying that Mother T. couldn't reach the Celestial Kingdom because she wasn't married. According to this thread, on hearing this, the investigator bolted on the spot.

Of course, you might argue that like all nuns she was a bride of Christ; so she was not only married, but married to someone with more than one wife--and thus eminently qualified by the words of Brigham Young himself.

The study of theology is full of surprises.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 10:24AM

This is a good thing for the missionary to start to think about.

When I was an LDS missionary in Germany, we did an hour or so volunteering at a Lutheran hospital for severely disabled people. We'd just go out for a walk with some of the residents. But I thought about the staff there, and the church supporting them. These people were taking care of these people every day, bathing them, feeding them etc. What made an LDS person with "temple blessings" more worthy of the Celestial Kingdom than these good people? It didn't make sense.

I continued to spout the party line, but those kinds of questions wore down my ability to keep it up. Those thoughts lingered for a long time, and never fully resolved until I decided to leave LDS, Inc for good.

Posted by: canary21 ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 10:39PM

snowball, that is wisdom and power. When did you serve your mission in Germany? If you are from Utah, I'm giving you brownie points because for someone so young who grew up in a Mormon bubble to think as open as you did at your age is so beautiful.

God bless you.

Posted by: NevermoinIdaho ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 08:31PM

If this wasn't strictly about getting into Mormon heaven, I'd have to agree with her, given some of the stuff that Teresa did.

Of course I don't believe in the CK any more than the traditional Christian heaven/hell concepts.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.