Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: freegirl10 ( )
Date: May 15, 2011 01:31PM

In a Time magazine article, he skirts the issue. He did go on a mission, but does not outwardly profess to be active now.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: May 15, 2011 01:38PM

No, no one seems to know.

He's obviously trying to avoid telling anyone. His wife isn't Mormon and he just married off a daughter in a different church.

Posted by: Whiskey_Tango ( )
Date: May 15, 2011 02:07PM

All appearances are that he is not a practicing Mormon. He attends no ward,holds no callings and none of his children are active members.In Salt Lake he was found to attend all of the prominent church services from LDS to Catholic to Baptist. There is no evidence to suggest that he is an active Latter-Day-Saint.

While his answer to Time magazine may appear to be him distancing himself politically, I just think that this is the first time anyone actually bothered to ask the question as most people simply assumed that in Utah a Republican must be a temple recommend holding Mormon.

Posted by: freegirl10 ( )
Date: May 15, 2011 02:49PM

Thank you so much, Whiskey_Tango! Very interesting...

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: May 15, 2011 02:49PM

Jon Huntsman is probably practicing Mormonism in its oldest and purest form...

Historical examples:

• John Taylor preaching in England that the Saints in Utah weren't practicing polygamy when he had lard-knows-how-many plural wives back in Utah... See also Joseph Smith's pronouncements on the same subject...

• Brigham Young claiming he would've brought the perpetrators of Mountain Meadows to justice soon after the fact if the government officials hadn't interevened and blocked him...

• Church teachings and history on the nature of religion and science that accompanied the firing of three BYU science professors circa 1910...

• Gordon B. Hinckley saying, "I'm not sure we teach that" in response to the "As God is man may become" couplet... Or the Hinckster denying any close relationship with Mark Hofmann...

• Revisionist church history on LDS racism and the flip flops (the most recent being racial intermarriage) on the subject. Look for the same thing to be happening on the gay rights/same sex marriage issue in the next decade...

My goodness what short memories some have...

Two articles from the the two church media "mouthpieces on the subject":

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=15513461

>When asked about whether he still belongs to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Huntsman was so cryptic the author wrote that she knew even less after questioning him...

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705372498/Huntsman-says-his-Mormon-church-membership-is-tough-to-define.html

Stuff like this is akin to asking inmates of the asylum whether they think they're crazy or not...

JMHO...

Utah Mormons favor Romney about 5-1 over Huntsman, and they're helping move the "Huntsman isn't really LDS" rumor along, and the Huntsman operation isn't denying this one because it'll play well on the national stage, and Utah Mormons (who are only a drop in the political ocean) will fall into line anyway...

Call me the equivalent of a you-know-what, the "Certicate Folks."

Show us the Greg Dodge letter there, Jon...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2011 03:06PM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: May 15, 2011 02:57PM

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,183790,183790#msg-183790

(The information from her conversation isn't first hand, but it is still interesting.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2011 03:04PM by Fetal Deity.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: May 15, 2011 03:34PM

And I have no doubt I'll be attacked as disrespectful for this one, but as I've maintained for years, everyone expects cabbies to be rude now and then...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2011 03:38PM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: think4u ( )
Date: May 15, 2011 07:49PM

I love the SL Cabbie's posts, always! I've learned a lot from him!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2011 07:50PM by think4u.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: May 15, 2011 04:51PM

Fetal Deity Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,183790,18379
> 0#msg-183790
>
> (The information from her conversation isn't first
> hand, but it is still interesting.)

I agree and this isn't a court of law. Cristina said it is not first hand and we can take it for what it is worth

Date: May 15, 2011 03:40PM

According to a newspaper article, he is raising his adopted daughter from India as a Hindu. Another daughter married in the National Cathedral which is Episcopal.

Date: May 15, 2011 03:55PM

http://www.scrippsnews.com/node/61518

(It seems like most Mormons who adopt a child from a non-Mormon couple believe that they are saving the adopted child from a life of false and dangerous beliefs and philosophies!)

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: May 15, 2011 03:53PM

If these things are so, then what do Mormons think of him as a possible candidate?

Posted by: Wildflower ( )
Date: May 15, 2011 04:23PM

Thought this was an interesting link written about Huntsman:

http://www.religiondispatches.org/dispatches/joannabrooks/4606/why_is_huntsman%E2%80%99s_mormonism_%E2%80%9Ctough_to_define%E2%80%9D/

I dont' think Huntsman will get as many LDS backers as Mitt Romney, but there are more voters that will prefer a less orthodox Mormon.

Posted by: Moroni Marten ( )
Date: May 15, 2011 04:29PM

If Huntsman is "inactive" then it will undoubtedly affect support from the Mormon population. Mormons do not view apostates kindly. In fact, I think they are on a lower rung than non-members.

Personally, I wonder how long it will be before an atheist would be successful running for public office in the United States. Probably not in my lifetime.

Date: May 15, 2011 07:55PM

You are soooo right on! Being atheist in politics, or just in this country in general is considered by the majority, it seems, as being unAmerican. You are right as well in saying Apostates are at the very bottom of the ladder, they are way lower than inactives.

An athiest will never win, well at least not for many, many years; I will be dead for sure by then.

Why? I don't exactly know, I suspect it is all the religious stuff that goes along with "Our Founding Fathers..."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2011 08:01PM by think4u.

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: May 15, 2011 04:48PM

And his wife is a convert. He and his wife, though, are two of the most open-minded individuals I know. I typically vote to the left of the political spectrum, but since I know this dude's integrity and good management style, I voted for him for gov.

He's spinning this Mormon thing well to his advantage to those of the Republicans who are moderate-minded.

Date: May 15, 2011 04:57PM

You say his wife converted but others say she isn't Mormon. And he married a daughter off in another church someone said. I am confused. Still, if he admits on the air that he is Mormon I do not think his wishy-washy manner of speaking about it is going to fly. In campaigns, people want facts.

Now the DEMS would love it if conservatives will fall for it. I say DON'T!!! I think the DEMS know that this kind of character (mormon character) is not acceptable to conservatives. Conservatives (Protestants and Catholics) would never approve of being kept from your own child's wedding, knowing a Pres.is wearing protective ???? undies, or that a ten percent tithe is required to be considered worthy. I do hope Mormonism is scrutinized more regardless of if one or both run.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2011 04:58PM by honestone.

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: May 15, 2011 06:56PM

I converted around the same time she did. Our mothers were close friends and Huntsman was a neighbor. If she left the morg, it's a surprise to me.

Posted by: m ( )
Date: May 15, 2011 04:49PM

wouldn't all this hoopla over Huntsman & Mormonism put

Romney's faith more front and center to be scrutinized?

I freakin hope so!

Date: May 15, 2011 07:58PM

funny!

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 15, 2011 04:54PM

Is this the same guy who would sometimes fly the prophet (Hinkster) around in his private plane?

If so, I think there may be a wink wink business relationship between the church hierarchy and high level Mormon politicians. They have the blessing of the church to be "not so Mormon" because ultimately both benefit.

Date: May 15, 2011 04:56PM

Date: May 15, 2011 04:57PM

Fetal Deity Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> n/tI don't think there is any question of the father being devout.

Date: May 15, 2011 08:00PM

The father is a member of the fifth quorum of the seventy, or what ever they call it, I just read it the other day in the paper. He is not one of the 12 , but is considered a GA.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 15, 2011 05:03PM

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt then. I wouldn't want to be judged by the religious activities of my parents. I'm not them.

Posted by: The Motrix ( )
Date: May 15, 2011 05:25PM

I can sympathize with how he is thinking -- someone posted on FB that he is a coward and because he's not fully Mormon, Huntsman would never get his vote. That's the screwed up thinking of TBMs. Of course, they are waiting for the world to be saved by the "Elders" of the church, cause only the Elders can do it, don't ya know.
I see it as his way of saying the church is totally fucked up, he doesn't buy into it, but he doesn't want to say exactly what he is thinking. If he bought into it, then he would be brainwashed enough to say that he buys into it all the way.
I deal this on a daily basis while teaching college in the Moridor. How do you say it's crap without shooting yourself in the foot.
I like him more now than I ever did.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: May 15, 2011 05:47PM

Most of them (at least in UT) don't like him, especially after the article. They say he a RINO and a MINO and a (*shudder*) "liberal."

I'm a registered Dem, and he is the only Rep. on the radar right now I would even consider voting for, so in that sense in calling him the Rep. that Dem. leaders fear is correct. If you compare what he said he would do in his campaign as governor with what he did, he was actually pretty honest, something rare in a politician. The only surprises were to the TBM's who found he wasn't the typical ultraconservative UT Republican they expect when they vote.

I'm tired of one party picking someone ultraconservative and the other picking someone ultraliberal. Most people I know are a mix of conservative and liberal, and that's why they are disatisfied with both parties. I'd rather have a moderate of either party, but that's not what the party leaders want and select.

Republicans probably won't go moderate again after McCain as they say it was a mistake. The mistake was saddling him with Palin, a wacko religious nutjob who would be only a heartbeat from the presidency.

Date: May 15, 2011 06:03PM

No the problem with McCain was that he was a Rhino and would not explain his differences with Obama as he needed to do. That was a weak campaign.

Date: May 15, 2011 07:45PM

A friend of mine that has recently figured out that the entire church is a fraud commented to me, knowing I am a full blown apostate and could care less who knows, " I've gotta stay in, but I think I'll just be a "Jon Huntsman mormon." Maybe that will become a new term, kind of like new order mormon.

Funny to watch Huntsman try to ride both sides of the fence. I don't think he is fooling anyone really and politically I doubt it will ever work. If I were him I would resign, write a book about the mo church fraud, and run as the "spiritual man" he claims to be.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.