Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: January 03, 2017 11:54AM

Who here remembers a movie back in the 90s that featured a black man portraying a bumbling genie and what is the name of the movie and who was the actor?

This is about memory, perception, reality and it will tie into the cult.

**** I know what the movie is and the phenomena behind the whole thing is, I want to see what others' perception or explanation to see how far reaching this is.*******

As the thread fills up, I'll explain further. If you already know what this is, please just answer what you already know. Had I known about this 2 years ago, I would have written my social psych paper on it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2017 12:10PM by Itzpapalotl.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: librarian ( )
Date: January 03, 2017 12:01PM

False memory, Sinbad did not play a genie in a movie called Shazam.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 03, 2017 12:43PM

The actor was Shaquille O'Neil, and the movie was Kazam.

No, I didn't google that. :)

edit: I googled it. I got the movie name wrong by one letter :)
edit2: interesting that the actual movie name is a banned word here...?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2017 01:48PM by ificouldhietokolob.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: January 03, 2017 12:44PM

Bill Cosby, "Sit On My Lap, Little Girl"

Posted by: moira ( )
Date: January 03, 2017 01:23PM

I didn't remember it because I didn't see it.

Date: January 04, 2017 05:04PM

In case anyone else wants to participate.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 04, 2017 07:30PM

I didn't see it. Sounds awful.

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: January 04, 2017 09:19PM

I didn't see it, whatever it may be. But I sort of wish that I had, just so I would know what is going on....

Date: January 04, 2017 09:25PM

It's going to get a little, um, bizarre when I explain further. You can google it if you don't want to wait. It's possible this may be a generational phenomena.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: January 04, 2017 10:57PM

I recall reading a book on memory by a psychologist. The author
began by recalling a personal anecdote. He had a strong memory
of being a child listening to a baseball game on the radio when
the game was interrupted to announce that the Japanese had just
bombed Pearl Harbor.

He never questioned this vivid memory until one day, much later,
as an adult he realized that baseball games are never broadcast
in December.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: January 07, 2017 11:30PM

And what made him not think: "Now, what if that baseball game was on a recording that was being broadcast?" Or what if it was an exhibition game from a country where it was summer in December?

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: January 05, 2017 12:17PM

Now just a dadburn minute pa...said in hoss cartwright voice...getbusyliving hath committed treason...brother cosby was not a pedophile...he doped and raped mature women...give billy a break...jk...sorry itz...never heard of the show...an angel with bills flaming sword commanded me to set bills record straight

Posted by: ExPapist nli ( )
Date: January 05, 2017 03:01PM

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 06, 2017 09:37AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2017 09:37AM by cl2.

Date: January 07, 2017 09:05PM

One more topping for good measure. I found the term I was looking for and will post some thoughts about this odd phenomena tomorrow for those interested.

Posted by: Hamster on a wheel ( )
Date: January 07, 2017 10:18PM

Are you talking about the effect named for a country's former leader?

I was certain there was a genie movie in the 90s with the name that can't be typed here. Strange world.

Date: January 07, 2017 10:26PM

No it's another term, confabulation, but what is the term you know? That might help with my process in understanding this.

Posted by: Hamster on a Wheel ( )
Date: January 08, 2017 06:45AM

The Mandela effect. There are many theories some more outlandish than others. =)

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: January 07, 2017 11:22PM

Date: January 08, 2017 02:06PM

So if what I write seems disjointed or unclear, I apologize.

HoaW is right, people refer to this as "The Mandela Effect" from the idea that people who remember Nelson Mandela dying in prison and Sinbad starring in a movie, Shazaam are from a parallel dimension and in 2009/2012, the dimensions collided and that's why people have different memories.

*Sigh* Because there's no other explanation for it, not that people's memories are easily manipulated and how we fill things in when pieces of memories are missing. Clearly, it is the dimension theory. The site I stumbled on while reading up on this, the comments are heavily monitored, dissenting views that memory and perception can be way off are deleted. My theory is that the people who mis-remember the Kazam movie are so devastated by finding out the reality, they're willing to buy into an outrageous theory that they're from another dimension. It seems to be an issue with Millenials who were kids in 1996 (when the movie came out) as not too many Gen Xers and other generations know about this or are even terribly concerned.

Have you ever had someone insist something about you and it never happened? The friend who posted about the Kazam movie is such one. She absolutely insisted for years we were best friends since kindergarten, but she didn't start at my elementary until 2nd or 3rd grade. I remember my best friend in 1st grade quite clearly and we're FB friends to this day. Another former friend was adamant that the first time she met me, I was wearing sexy red pants. The only time I had red pants was a pair of red cords in 4th grade and I didn't buy a pair of reds pants until 2001, which I still have. But despite this, she insisted I had a pair of red pants. O_o Maybe it was a red dress I owned and she turned it into pants in her memory?

Memory is a funny thing and easily subjected to (mis)perceptions, bias, the fundamental attribution error, the passage of time, and illness. This doesn't even count when others manipulate our memories i.e. The Satanic Panic and False Memory debacle, of which I was a victim of the latter. Yet people still insist there's a widespread cult of Satan worshipers and they know people involved in it and it pervaded their town (the town in which I grew up was called The Satanic Capital of the World or the Witchcraft Capital of the World depending on who you talk to.)

What does this have to do with the Mormon cult?

The leaders and members are engaging in a widespread form of confabulation with changing doctrines, history, and rituals and it's working on a lot of people, too. They've been doing this since Ol' Joe first started conning people. It does cause cognitive dissonance in the members, but they have learned to reduce it by justifying or adding in the new cognitions, sometimes changing them if necessary.

"In psychiatry, confabulation (verb: confabulate) is a disturbance of memory, defined as the production of fabricated, distorted or misinterpreted memories about oneself or the world, without the conscious intention to deceive."

I would say that even their apologetics are a form of confabulation, every time one of those apologists tries to explain away all of the stuff that just doesn't add up to reality or facts.

So just a few thoughts on what the cult does on a wide scale to its members and one of the reasons I think mental illness is such a pervasive problem in the cult. I would enjoy hearing other people's perspective and thoughts

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2017 02:08PM by Itzpapalotl.

Posted by: Hamster on a Wheel ( )
Date: January 08, 2017 07:45PM

Intriguing theory, I've never thought of the Mandela effect in terms of the church. Going to have to have a deep think on that one.

What I do find interesting, and something you've kind of touch upon, it really does seem to be a phenomena from the last three or four decades. I wonder how much easy access to news and media via the tv and internet have had to play in it.

Random and rather useless fact for you. You'll see bandied around an alleged Mandela effect relating to the Queen song "We are the Champions". It is alleged that people remember the end as "of the world", and further alleged that Queen never sang those words. In the first instance the words do appear in the middle of the song at the end of the chorus but on the studio album the song ends "we are the champions...". But!!! Despite claims that people are incorrect and it's the Mandela effect in action, Queen did on occasion end the song with the line "of the world" - an example Live at Wembley 1986. Could it be that the Mandela effect is partly a convolution of mis-information and misinterpretation. In the instance of the Queen song both positions are simultaneously correct and incorrect.

:)

Posted by: Topical Drugs ( )
Date: January 08, 2017 03:00PM

I have a friend who is a devout fundie independent Baptist, whose memory is extremely flawed, to the point that it's sometimes hard to tolerate. I simplify it by saying that she "makes sh#t up," which is exactly what she does, but she also believes the sh#t she invents. She firmly believes that she "does not lie."

In her case, a life full of several traumatic losses, I think she has untreated PTSD, and her brain fills in any gaps in memory to help her remain able to support herself. The other side of all of that pain is an unending empathy for others. I can't help but love her. Her family and friends who love her know better than to "stir her pot." She'll blast you with both barrels.

I think many young people are lost when it comes to "reality," but I don't know that I would confine it to religion. The ways many have been de-educated in discerning facts, well, what can we expect when rewards and consequences are meaningless, nothing but empty words and plastic, both in value and substance? ...in a world where "social media" is a "real thing," and "fake news" is a "freedom of speech" issue? What value is free speech so costly to real freedom?

Would it inhibit or help free speech to require a warning banner at the top of all fake news pages? As it relates to religion, all faith pages - what would that banner state?

I would say that religion replaces reality for many adults. My friend is one of millions who believes that she will again hold her lost loved ones in the hereafter, but only those who have said the magic words to her "loving god." She grieves for those currently and forever burning in the everlasting fire and brimstone pit of hell.

I absolutely detest the "true believers" who teach her this crap, reinforcing it three times a week. They make their livings selling Jesus, something he would smite, per the Bible they use. If she is blind to that, what hope can I have of "waking" her, and would it really be in her best interests?

Reality is full of - reality that could mentally destroy her. Religion is the drug that can salve on the surface, but leave the infections fester underneath. This is the weapon of apologists, deceivers with an agenda.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.