Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Godzilla ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 05:23PM

Looking to add to my home library the best books to gain knowledge beyond what is available on the internet. Something my visitors can look at and pick up when they feel like.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 05:41PM

"No Man Knows My History" by Fawn Brodie, if you don't already have it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2016 05:43PM by donbagley.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 05:41PM

I'm almost done reading "Secret Combinations Evidence of Early Mormon Counterfeiting 1800 - 1847".....this is a great insight into how the early engine of mormonism was fueled and makes perfect sense, given what we know about the Smith family.

I also liked "Devils Gate: Brigham Young and the Great Handcart Tragedy"....clearly BY was not inspired and was seeking monetary gain only.

And the must have book in my opinion is "Everything I need to Know I Learned From Led Zeppelin"....classic words of wisdom from the band.....seriously! A little coffee table book with single lines from LZ songs....very nice and the artwork is great!

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 07:45PM

But not a word I heard I could relate, the story was quite clear.

Posted by: 6 iron ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 08:18PM

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the west...

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 07:24PM

"Standing for Something More" by Lyndon Lamborn

"Suddenly Strangers" by Chris and Brad Morin

"By his Own Hand on Papyrus" by Charles Larson.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 07:48PM

The True Believer by Eric Hoffer.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 07:59PM

American Crucifixion

Posted by: reinventinggrace ( )
Date: December 08, 2016 12:34AM

I like

History of The Church, by Joseph Smith. 7 volumes. Has facsimiles of the Kinderhook Plates, Joseph Smith's Phrenology chart, etc. Always something exciting in there if you just crack a volume open and turn a few pages. Joseph Smith's denials of Polygamy, etc.
http://product.half.ebay.com/History-of-the-Church-Set-by-Joseph-Smith-1991-Paperback-Reprint/922655&tg=info
(This is what a phrenology chart refers to -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrenology )

Doctrine and Covenants and Pearl of Great Price, pre 1970 so it has the code names, and ideally large print so it's easy to read the interpretations of the facsimiles in the Book of Abraham.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DOCTRINE-AND-COVENANTS-1953-DECORATIVE-COVER-HB-ED-MORMON-LDS-RARE-VINTAGE-/291942661822?hash=item43f9237ebe:g:Hn8AAOSwhDdXEDRc

New American Standard Bible, 1960s edition (good drawings) it's an easy read. If anyone says they've never read the Bible, just bust it open to a random page in the Old Testament and read to them out loud a story or two about deity-mandated genocide.
http://product.half.ebay.com/New-American-Standard-Bible-New-Testament-1963-Hardback/173358646&tg=info

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2016 12:37AM by reinventinggrace.

Posted by: Pariah ( )
Date: December 08, 2016 01:10AM

"Early Mormonism and the Magic World View" by D Michael Quinn

It was the non-church-assigned book on Mormonism that I ever read. It was loaned to me by an old boyfriend, who was a professor at BYU, at the time. I thought "WTF?" And "What happened to my old boyfriend?" But, finally, I started thinking about all the lies and secrets....

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.