Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 05:06PM

I am kind of a music charts buff, and I especially like looking at old charts from top 40 radio stations back in the 1960s and 1970s. One of the radio stations that was big in the Salt Lake City area, especially during the late 1960s, was KNAK, located at 1280 kHz on the AM dial. Some of the station's charts can be found at

http://www.las-solanas.com/arsa/stations_item.php?&lttl=1&srt1=tsc_prs DESC&vqry=knak&lidx=0&rsid=483

Looking at the available charts from late March and early April of 1967, I noticed a strange thing: Buffalo Springfield's only national top 10 hit, "For What It's Worth,", a classic protest song of the times, was never listed; on the other hand, the b-side of the single, "DO I Have to Come Right out and Say It," was. Now, charts for KCPX and KRSP, the other two top 40 stations at the time in the Salt Lake City area are not yet available for this timeperiod, but I'm wondering if the LDS church at the time leaned on local Salt Lake City radio stations not to play "For What It's Worth,", fearing it could spark protests against the church.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 06:17PM

That's an interesting observation. I'll bet they avoided promoting songs that were, well, not the mainstream view of the time.

I loved Buffalo Springfield.

I wonder if other songs like Woodstock by Crosby, Stills Nash and Young got played less in Utah.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.