Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dimmesdale ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 03:23PM

I went to a thrift store---out here they are usually connected to large churches. They are in special buildings apart from the other church structures on the large properties.

As I entered, there was a hushed feeling. I went up to the glass counter to see some of the trinkets, and noticed a belt-like thing made from discs and put together with golden chain-like links. The lady behind the counter was eager to tell me about it. In whispered tones, she said it came from a priest in Italy who was sitting under a tree. He was very despondent and ready to give up. But then, low and behold, the tree started dropping its leaves.

As he looked around at the leaves, he noticed the patterns on the leaves. The spoiled part of the dead leaves each had a pattern of a scene in the life of Jesus. He gathered them up and made a belt of them. The belt was sort of like those bugs preserved in amber. She wouldn't let me touch the belt, it was so precious---so she just moved it around carefully so I could see each new disc.

The images really were scenes from Jesus' life and teachings--fuzzy and distorted though they were.

Then the lady said, "XXXX has brought this belt out from where she lives in Salt Lake City. She is giving blessings. Would you like a blessing from her?"

I didn't ask if they were charging for blessings?
I didn't ask what religion she was--though the lady behind the counter didn't call her "sister."
I said, "No thank you."

I looked around a bit while a couple of people went in and out past the curtain that was closing off the back room of the thrift shop where the woman was blessing people. They came out looking a little haggard, but always saying, "That was wonderful."

It was the weirdest thing I've experienced in a very long time.

Why was the lady from Salt Lake City?
Why do people fall for this stuff?
Why don't I?
What is my problem that I'm such a skeptic. It might have been nice to have gone in and learned what the woman had to say. But I don't think I could have kept a straight face.

Weird story!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 03:44PM

Some of us, for some reason, just have better noses to smell out the BS, I suppose. But, I sometimes wish I weren't so skeptic and that there was actually something magical in this life - I get a little depressed knowing its all BS instead of fairy dust.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.