Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CoffeeNeophyte ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 02:10PM

Has anyone used the Aerobie AeroPress? I've heard good things about them. Are they easy to use? Do they make a good cup of coffee? Did you use the paper filters or a re-usable metal filter? Which do you think is better?

Since my wife (non-practicing - NOM/JackMo) will not likely partake of the healthy forbidden drink, I liked that you can make a quick single cup of coffee. But, if she were to ever change her mind, can you just as easily make two cups of coffee with it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jaded ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 02:49PM

One of my sons, a complete coffee aficianado, uses an Aeropress. It's an inexpensive way to get legit espresso. Paper filters is all we've ever used. They're pretty easy to use. When you've used it correctly you end up with a hockey-puck looking wodge of coffee grounds. Dump it in the trash and give it a quick rinse. Once a week or so we put it through the dishwasher.

I also own a Mr. Coffee dual shot espresso maker/milk frother. It also makes surprisingly legit espresso, complete with crema froth. If you steam milk or cream and add a splash of flavored syrup, you can have lattes without the drive through at Starbucks.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 06:42PM

One of my children asked for that one Christmas. It was used religiously for quite some time.

Lately it's been in idle mode, because coffee is more enjoyable eating out.

It is very convenient, economic, and portable.

For the investment, it is well worth the price when compared to some of the others on the market. It adds to the richness of the coffee flavor, so believes my coffee guru.

Posted by: UTtransplant ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 07:41PM

I love my AeroPress! Much better coffee than just about anything other than a pressurized expresso machine. The key is to get your coffee ground very fine. On my grinder I use the "expresso" selection. If you like espressos, you can use a very dark roast coffee, but I prefer a medium roast. Super easy since the grounds really do come out like a hockey puck, as the PP said it does.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 07:46PM

Used one for years.quick and convenient.

Posted by: itwasnotme ( )
Date: December 16, 2016 01:25AM

The one I have makes up to four cups. I believe that's standard. You'll need a standard size coffee mug. Nothing fancy as the press has to balance on the rim of the mug and you don't want a mug that is likely to tip over. (You can also use with travel mugs.) As for clever sayings imprinted on the mug, that's a matter of personal preference. Just don't go crazy on us.

Posted by: concerned_parent ( )
Date: December 16, 2016 03:52AM

I purchased this for camping and found the coffee to be smooth and so easy to make. I really enjoy latte but I find when I make my own at home I can make them better than the coffee shop. I could do a commercial for the Aeropress. For a long time my husband held out and used the coffee maker but now we use the Aeropress and find that it is very easy to make enough for two with the regular size. I use the expresso beans with that grind. My personal favorite is "perfecto" expresso roast by Lavazza.

Posted by: dabners ( )
Date: December 16, 2016 09:18AM

Absolutely. It doesn't make espresso contrary to what is posted here but it does make a lovely, low bitterness, cup of coffee.

It offers a lot of control so you can decide how you like your coffee. You pick temperature, brewing time, grind size, etc. We regularly use that, our Nespresso machine and our cold brew set-up. We had a Keurig but don't use it much because, while convenient, the coffee just isn't that good.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: December 17, 2016 12:20AM

A lot of bother and a lot of parts to clean up and keep track of (not misplace) for my money. But then, I don't drink distresso.

For basic coffee, check out the "Clever Coffee Filter," which lets you seep your brew in a mMelita-type funnel (with filter), giving you the timing of a French press, but without the sediments that work their way through the screen of your typical French press.

After you've let your coffee seep, you place the Clever Coffee Filter on your mug or cup, and it drips down, into the cup. Simple and neat.

Posted by: Deet ( )
Date: December 17, 2016 01:23AM

I've used mine everyday for 4 years including backpacking.
I love it.
I did buy the the metal screen 3 years ago.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.