Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 02:17PM

wadda wanna bet TSCC brought in SCAB non-union workers to construct the building?

Foreign Steel, anyone?

these are the questions that Should Be Asked, not just telling how perdy it looks...

just sayin'

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 08, 2016 12:00AM

I concur.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 02:29PM

so comical that LDS Inc keeps doing things to obscure /minimize the prominence of their most famous Secret Handshake palace !!!! .......Hey, a person sure can get a great view of the super ugly condo tower at CCC from that new building !!!!

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 03:01PM

But at least the buildings the church builds provide examples of beautiful architecture.

Oh, wait...

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 03:51PM

Real-Estate Development Company disguised as a Church.

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 04:13PM

Praying over a building..like that's gonna bring in tenants and pay the bills.. Doesn't the morg do the same for chapels and temples too!??

Posted by: Exmoron ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 04:52PM

"Before joining in a ribbon-cutting Thursday, Presiding Bishop Gérald Caussé, who oversees the LDS Church's vast real-estate and commercial holdings, offered a benediction and called the tower "a unique culmination of art, science, technology and culture."

For Mormons, "this is sacred ground," Caussé said before leading the crowd of about 100 people in prayer."

WTF Really...sacred ground. Holy shiz. Everything is special and sacred to Mormons these days.

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 06:05PM

Since when are skyscrapers "sacred ground"?? Have any of the morg big wigs ever gone to SF, New York, Sacramento, LA, etc..!!???they're commonplace there!!

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 09:07PM

Yes,a commercial office building is sacred ground to LD$,Inc.
That leaves no doubt where The Cult's priorities really lie.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: December 08, 2016 12:31AM

Tax exempt = sacred

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 05:54PM

Jesus is a Jewish landlord?

Posted by: Alph O Mega ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 06:03PM

Prophecy fulfilled Mormon 8 : 36-37

36 And I know that ye do walk in the pride of your hearts; and there are none save a few only who do not lift themselves up in the pride of their hearts, unto the wearing of very fine apparel, unto envying, and strifes, and malice, and persecutions, and all manner of iniquities; and your churches, yea, even every one, have become polluted because of the pride of your hearts.

37 For behold, ye do love money, and your substance, and your fine apparel, and the adorning of your churches, more than ye love the poor and the needy, the sick and the afflicted.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 08:32PM

Are they going to open the doors for the homeless. Last time I was in Salt Lake there were transients everywhere. I went to the library, which is another beautiful building that can be enjoyed by everyone. There were "street people" everywhere. People camped out on the grounds with their shopping carts and tarps. Inside the library there was lots of men who looked normal and not crazy, Maybe they had chosen the lifestyle of traveling around for the adventure? I'm not sure?

But it's getting cold downtown and all these people who choose to winter in Utah instead of heading to California need a place to stay. 111 Main is the perfect place :)

Date: December 08, 2016 01:56AM

did you know that homeless people literally froze to death on the steps of the newly completely but unopened SLC homeless shelter? SLC mayor Dee Dee Corradini postponed the opening of the shelter because she was out of town and wanted to be present for the opening for the photo opportunity. a ceremonial opening was not satisfactory for Corradini who blocked the actual opening of the facility until she could be in town for the photo op. in the mean time homeless people were forced to stay outside, they camped on the steps of the shelter anticipating its opening. a November cold snap hit and Several people froze to death on the steps.

......do not worry, those deaths did not bother Corradini or MORmON PRofit Gordon B Hinckley at all. they were concentrating on their own deals, like the deal to sell part of Main street to LDS Inc for the MORmON vatican way too much to be sidetracked by people freezing to death. More currently, SLC homeless can freeze to death in the shadow of the basically unoccupied LDS Inc luxury condo tower at CCC.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 09:01PM

The lobby has tall glass walls that blend in to the Eccles Theater lobby very nicely. There is what looks to me like a 15 x 24 foot LED screen displaying Utah nature photos/vids. It's one of the better buildings downtown for adding visual interest to the street.

The upper floors are your basic square glass box, but I give the lobby a big thumbs up.

I'm waiting for someone to tear down the old Zephyr building on 300 S and put something nice there. To me, it is the obvious Next Thing That Should Happen.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 09:06PM

I drove by the building a couple of times, here's my critique--the architectural style is dated--it's a rather severe modern monolith with no design appeal. The top portion of the building looks like a heat sink. And that's actually what it is--one can see fans, etc, surrounded by rather opaque sheeting. This portion is lit up at night, not a particularly novel idea nor that pleasing to the eye.

Parking for the theater will be behind the building. It will be a mess as there's not easy entry from surrounding streets. I'm sure the owners will charge some nice fees to park as patrons will not have a lot of options other than parking far away and taking the Main St. Trax (which is probably the best alternative to driving in SLC anyway.)

The Morg's philosophy of "if we build it they will come" is a little uncharted regarding stage productions. There's still a lot of unknowns as to what bookings will take place there. For example, many contemporary Broadway shows feature bad language or provocative situations. Would A Chorus Line (with its f-bombs) or Chicago (with its adultery and reference to Mr. Ezekiel Young of Salt Lake City) be permitted in a church-owned theater?

SLC's downtown core is quickly become its own version of Vatican City. As most of SLC is not LDS, one wonders exactly how much of the Morg's investments are sustainable with its closest community members who may have no interest in the Morg's developments.

On State Street, paralleling Main Street, is the now closed Promise Valley Playhouse, a testament to a limited-use theater. Perhaps the new venue will meet the same fate after the newness and novelty wear off. The Boner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2016 09:09PM by BYU Boner.

Posted by: severedpuppetstrings ( )
Date: December 08, 2016 06:50AM

BYU Boner Wrote:
-----------------------------------------------
> The Morg's philosophy of "if we build it they will
> come" is a little uncharted regarding stage
> productions. There's still a lot of unknowns as to
> what bookings will take place there. For example,
> many contemporary Broadway shows feature bad
> language or provocative situations. Would A Chorus
> Line (with its f-bombs) or Chicago (with its
> adultery and reference to Mr. Ezekiel Young of
> Salt Lake City) be permitted in a church-owned
> theater?

It might. Anything for the almighty buck.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 11:05PM

It's all just so weird to see a church investing so much into real estate!

But it's all totally okay . . . because they opened it with a prayer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2016 11:06PM by seekyr.

Date: December 08, 2016 02:20AM

yah, you see if a person reads the new testament, Jesus was always stuck meeting outside. Well after having his ass nailed to a cross, Jesus said no more of the outdoors church meeting. The divine bastard has totally been into acquiring buildings and real estate ever since. Jesus feels that since how He created the earth then He should formally own a lot of it too.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 11:31PM

Calling an office building "sacred ground" defamed, denigrates, and dilutes the significance of places where some people go to worship & try to make themselves better individuals...

Oh Wait, I guess they didn't think of that, 'sorry'!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2016 11:32PM by GNPE.

Posted by: Pariah ( )
Date: December 08, 2016 12:01AM

Now, which apartments are the low-income ones?

I remember the Prophet GBH proclaiming that a large percentage of the new City Creek residences would be low-income housing! I think there's a Federal law that a certain percentage of every new housing complex built in the US, had to be designated low-income housing, by law. Am I wrong?

How did Lds, Inc. get around this law?

Wouldn't any major city overhaul plan include some kind of facilities for the homeless? Shouldn't that be required?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 08, 2016 12:02AM

when I grow up I want to be a presiding bishop.

WTF is a presiding bishop, anyway ?

Posted by: Jr. High Atheist Caucus ( )
Date: December 08, 2016 03:47AM

A presiding bishop cannot compare to the Internet deep thinker and social justice warrior you are, Dave.

https://kiwifarms.net/attachments/o5ufx2p-png.55132/

All of us in the 7th Grade After School Atheist Club just love your blog, Dave, and we're the smartest three kids in our school. Your awesome.

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: December 08, 2016 06:43AM

A skyscraper is sacred and the Book of Mormon is a real account of ancient inhabitants of the Americas? Good God I'm glad I'm no longer a member of that church.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.