Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: pugsly ( )
Date: December 06, 2016 08:12PM

I was laying on the couch, watching the evening news when one of the kids told me I was wanted on the telephone. I didn't recognize the number, but that isn't unusual.

It was the stake president wanting to know if I would bear my testimony at stake conference this weekend. I would have been less shocked if a stranger walked up to me and asked if I wanted to buy some heroin!

I started laughing out loud for real. He asked what was so funny that I was laughing. I told him that I had been exe'd years ago, and I am sure he wouldn't want the people in attendance to hear the words of an apostate! He muttered "quite so" and hung the phone up.

Maybe he thought the holy spirit would hit me over the head with the phone to reactivate me? DH thinks I should have agreed to speak so we could see what would have happened.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: December 06, 2016 08:22PM

Damn! He sure felt inspired! I'll bet he's entertaining some doubts about his esteemed calling right now. Maybe you should call him up and say you've reconsidered and have a few items you'd like to share! Very best wishes!!!

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: December 06, 2016 08:26PM

LOL You should have said, "Really?! The Church is finally giving us apostates the chance to speak out? Awesome!"

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: December 06, 2016 08:27PM

I bet there is some clerk that will be busily updating records in the near future.

Or maybe not.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 06, 2016 08:44PM

What a chump. And rude too.

To just hang up like that, without trying to reactivate you, or not so much as an apology. He sounds like a dinglebat.

Harrumph.

But at least you're off the hook! ;)

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: December 06, 2016 08:52PM

"Quite so"?

Rude indeed!

The last time JWs came to my porch and tried to engage me in chat (as opposed to those who just hand over a leaflet) I did what a good little ex-JW should: said "I'm disfellowshipped" (exed in their world).

One of them actually said "whoa" and backed away from me.

I seriously do not look like an evil being. I don't think. But their outlook disagrees I guess.

My crime for which I was exed? Daring to leave. It took me a v.e.r.y. long time to get over being considered an apostate. It had been so drummed into me that that was the worst possible human on earth, one who had "known the truth but turned away".

I still don't know how they know what I know. Or don't, as the case may be.

I didn't hate being a JW like I did being mo. Maybe because I had good friends there. Until I decided to leave. Then they wouldn't even say hello to me on the street.

Except for one, an older lady I used to stand on street corners with, handing out magazines. She bumped into me in a mall one day, years after I'd left. We had really cared for each other. She surprised me by saying hi and asking what I was up to and seemed so happy to see me, not my experience with other former friends. Without thinking I blurted out "I'm working for the Red Cross". Eek (raising the spectre of blood transfusions). I was the one who kept on walking, again as a still-obedient one, to prevent her from having to talk to an apostate. I have wished for a long time that I had stopped to have a conversation if that's what she wanted. I still miss her.

Weird how we can let a religion tell us what to do, from the underwear we use to the loved ones we leave behind.

Sad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2016 11:36PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 06, 2016 11:52PM

I would have had some choice words for that guy.

Posted by: nitrameequc ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 12:02AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2016 12:04PM by nitrameequc.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 03:07AM

None of your busines (It's an inside joke and you're outside)!

Oh, you wouldn't get it.

Me speak (in or out of turn)?
Sure. Put the congregation to sleep or wake them up?

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 03:19AM

That church can be such a cluster f#*k.

Posted by: Rolled tacos on a sunday ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 09:25AM

I remember one stake conference they just called me up during the meeting to be my testimony.I was a new convert and caught really off guard at them doing so

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 09:58AM

You were taken by surprise. I would have done the same thing, not realizing I was passing up a delicious opportunity.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 09:49PM

IN ~ for OPie's "testimony" ~

( srs )

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 10:54PM

You should have shown up and told everyone that you are there to speak at the invitation of the stake president, even though you had been excommunicated a few years ago. Then bash the church until they kill the microphone.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: December 08, 2016 12:52AM

This ^^^^^^^

Posted by: Phil in Roy ( )
Date: December 08, 2016 08:25AM

Lost opportunities are a bitch.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.