Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: upThink ( )
Date: December 04, 2016 04:11PM

It's been a while since I've posted here, but a recent conversation with a friend as me thinking...

We discussed the following: "What if the TSCC were to 'reveal' that the Holy Ghost is actually Heavenly Mother?"

Even though I'm no longer LDS, I think this is a brilliant and even beautiful concept. One of my biggest gripes with the doctrine, history and culture of the church is the relative absence and insignificance of women--specifically Heavenly Mother. Does she not matter? Does she not care? Is she so fragile that she needs to be 'protected'? Does she do anything besides pop out spirit babies?...

However, if it was 'revealed' that she was the Holy Ghost all along, she would immediately go from being absent to being central and of critical importance. "Strive to always have the presence of your Heavenly Mother with you...", "Listen to the still small voice of your Heavenly Mother...". "Talk to Dad, but listen to Mom."....

Frankly, I think this is a beautiful concept and probably one that's been talked about many times here... But if anyone has any thoughts to add, I'd love to hear it.

Cheers

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: weemannie ( )
Date: December 04, 2016 04:46PM

Nice idea but 1 Nephi 11:11 shows the Holy Ghost is a man so they'd be going counter to BoM so unlikely.
Having said that they already disavowed any racist teaching which strikes off loads of BoM verses (as well as huge parts of the underlying narrative and susequent culture) so you never know.
If they figure out how to turn a buck out of it then the odds shorten.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 12:37AM

They can kill two birds with one stone by saying the HG went transgender. Best of all, since she's invisible she can go in any bathroom she likes.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: December 04, 2016 05:48PM

The "holy ghost" does not have a body. Heavenly Mothers are exaulted and resurrected beings. Hence have bodies. Though I guess stripping women of their bodies could become doctrine since women float around the temple, faceless, covered by a veil like a ghost.

So... Heavenly fathers have one time sex with their wives. The wife transforms into a higher spirit and becomes perpetually pregnant. Producing billions of souls for each planet.

I have heard the theory that the "holy ghost" was an office/calling hence various spirits held that office at different times.

I also heard the theory that he is the last spirit to be born to this earth.

Posted by: atouchscreendarkly ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 06:38PM

It might explain why exalted beings of flesh make spirit babies rather than flesh ones, though.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: December 04, 2016 05:54PM

The sacred feminine is a concept that dates back more than 100,000 years and was not really demeaned until the advent of the male only clergy. Therefore what's the big fuss about?

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: December 04, 2016 06:51PM

I've found I need a lot of caffeine to pick up the Holy Ghost. And there's still a lot of static, especially when the girls are streaming Netflix.

I started taking an SSRI (selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitor) a few weeks ago. I'll be curious to see if that boosts the signal any.

Posted by: Nole GirlHJ ( )
Date: December 04, 2016 07:10PM

I love many parts of the Apocrypha, recognized as scripture by the liturgical churches e.g. Roman Catholic, Anglican/Episcopal, Orthodox and Lutheran. This is particularly true of the concept of Wisdom (Sophia) a female entity who whispers in the ear of God. The image of the Creator of the Universe having His chief counsel represented as a female presence is very dear to me.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 04, 2016 07:47PM

I think it's inevitable that the sacred feminine will re-enter mainstream religious thought in a major way at some point in the future. Catholicism has the veneration of the virgin Mary, but I don't think that is even enough.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: December 04, 2016 11:54PM

Mrs. Boner assures me that the Holy "Ghost" is a woman. Although I've never heard that taught in Mormonism, my wife's tells me that she knows it's a true principle. No worries on my part! The Boner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2016 11:55PM by BYU Boner.

Posted by: kenc ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 09:13PM

Joseph Smith gave a couple of sermons during the Nauvoo period when he was spinning new and creative yarns every day, that he was the Holy Ghost, and that he had come to gain a physical body on earth.

Several people wrote about those odd sermons in their diaries. Lynden Cook and Ehat(?) included the diary entries in a book they published about revelations during the Nauvoo period.

If there is interest, I'll find the book and report back, giving the quotes and references. We moved this fall and I still have things packed away or I'd go look right now. But because I'm too lazy, I'll wait to hear if anyone is interested before making any effort. It is hibernation time! :)

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 09:27PM

Someone suggested this one of the few weeks of high school that I actually showed up to seminary two days in a row. (My parents believed sleep was important for adolescents and didn't force any of us to go.) The next day the teacher was ready with all sorts of books and scripture to debunk the student's theory.

Posted by: se7enthdagger ( )
Date: December 06, 2016 10:17PM

I thought the Holy Spookie made its power manifest through the power of the Priesthood.... would this not lead to calls for Priesthood equality and end the Patriachal framework the Brothers of the Church have built.... those sexist assholes would never allow it to happen

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: December 07, 2016 06:33PM

It's a demon that possessed my old man.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.