Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nancy Rigdon ( )
Date: December 04, 2016 02:08PM

My TBM parents are seminary teachers. Sometimes I hope they'll discover the truth. Unfortunately, most of the controversial stuff my dad new decades ago and dismissed them as "feed your faith or feed your doubt". He chose to feed his faith. Mom just doesn't care about those things. She's too emotionally attached to the church and her church friends.

Anyway, just thought I'd ask you all if any lightbulbs turned on for you while teaching seminary.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: December 04, 2016 06:28PM

I learned in Seminary... and got out! I didn't learn anything useful, or true. Just that getting up early to hear lies wasn't the best way to start the day.

Scripture chase anyone? I never caught it. I wasn't slow. It's just that they were chasing me and I ran! FAST

Posted by: kenc ( )
Date: December 04, 2016 08:12PM

Several of us full timers discovered the truth while teaching seminary/institute and left.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 10:14AM

I was not involved in seminary like kenc. The lessons as a whole in the entire church curriculum, which includes Sunday school, priesthood and relief society are essentially contentless. The shear boredom led us to being somewhat less active until we finally dropped out as our local leaders were and still are such assholes. We studied on our own after we dropped out of activity and discovered why there was so little content in the manuals and lessons. I believe the dreariness of all the meetings is a catalyst for many to quit attending and then with the new free time discover why the meetings are so drab.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 11:23AM

I well remember sitting in gospel doctrine class years ago while the teacher tried to engage the class. It was kinda pathetic. The lesson was SO boring! Finally, in total frustration, the teacher said, "come on, brothers and sisters, you know the answer to this question, you're mormons". We started laughing. We all realized how dull and repetitious these lessons were.

Posted by: dimmesdale ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 12:54PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.