Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: December 04, 2016 02:25AM

First of all, I am completely aware that what I am about to post is irrational. Some people may very well tell me just to "suck it up" and get over it - they are most likely right. I have been told this enough by people close to me - I'm posting it here because I feel like people here may be able to relate, even if you don't share this particular anxiety.

For the past several years, I've felt very anxious about the idea of driving - specifically in heavy traffic, and even more specifically my car. Back roads and places I'm familiar with don't bother me, but a town I'm not familiar with, or driving on the freeway at rush hour and I start to clam up. Most of the time, I've been able to find ways around this. I take back roads, I ride with friends, etc. Recently I got a job that requires more travel than I would like. The nice thing is that they allow me to rent a car, which at least takes away the anxiety of my car blowing up on the freeway. Most of the trips I've had to take this far are either places where I can take the scenic route, or trips on highways I'm familiar with. That changes this week. Wednesday, I have to attend an event in a nearby major city. Backroads aren't an option, as these would take me through bad neighborhoods - it has to be the freeway. This is a major step out of my comfort zone. I know that in the end, it will be good for me. The more I do things like this, the more comfortable I will be doing it in the future, and the more I can expand my bubble to explore new places without depending on others to drive. This is a good thing, and deep down I know that. That said, I'm still incredibly nervous. I know that I'm more likely to get in a wreck on the country roads I take to get to and from work than I am to have any problems on the freeway, but the idea of traveling at high speeds through the maze-like highways has me sweating at the thought.

Again, I know that this is irrational, and that I will most likely be laying in bed Wednesday night wondering why I was ever nervous to make the trip, but right now it seems incredibly intimidating. Does anyone else have experience with driving anxiety? If so, I would love to hear it. If not, thank you for letting my vent my thoughts to someone who hasn't already told me to buck up and get over it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Turtlesrsaved ( )
Date: December 04, 2016 02:56AM

I'm so sorry you have this anxiety. In my Patriarchal blessing I was told I would be safe in all my travel, which I have always felt uncomfortable. I was always worried about being in an accident. Now that I know all that reassurance was nonsense,I'm back to square one. That being said, we will always have to do things we are frightened of. It stinks for sure, but just keep swimming. You are not alone in the anxiety.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: December 04, 2016 03:48AM

I have the same problem. I used to drive all the time, but I hate doing it now. I live in Germany, where people can drive really fast and be aggressive. It's not as bad as Italy, but I still get super nervous on the roads here. I feel your pain.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: December 04, 2016 05:35AM

I have the same aversion to travel, sparty. Anything over twenty miles from town sounds like a bad idea to me. I don't want to go.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 04, 2016 05:55AM

I don't like big city driving. Hate freeways too. Like you, when I go those routes it's because of distance and convenience being the deciding factors for me to take the freeway. Then I will use them because I must.

Be as prepared as you're going to possibly be is my advice, without overthinking it. Be rested, not sleep deprived. Be alert. Make sure your car is properly serviced, and that your mirrors are adjusted for full visibility, etc. Don't take eyes off of the road for a second, or hands off the wheel, and all that stuff. And most importantly, drive "defensively," as though your life depended on it. Because it does!

When you're prepared, it makes a difficult job somewhat easier to navigate.

Having driven in Toronto traffic which is by far the most challenging I've ever done, and I only do it on the most rare of occasions ... what I've found super helpful was having a good GPS system. Whether on the car itself, and these days Google is supposed to have a good app for smart phones. Knowing which exit to take, and what lane to be in is indispensable while driving in heavy traffic.

I still begin every road trip with a prayer. Some may find that corny, but I don't. It helps me to feel more centered, and have more trust and faith in my driving and road conditions, before I even start out on my trip. My parents did that when I was growing up, and it is something I've continued to do for my adult life.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2016 06:34AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 04, 2016 09:24AM

My dear mom suffered from anxiety as well, and she was like you in that she took the back roads and avoided highways if at all possible, especially as she got older. I don't know what medical treatments are available for anxiety these days, but you might want to investigate them with your physician.

I have mild anxiety that occasionally results in work-related anxiety attacks. Driving on the highway sometimes makes me anxious as well (I have a long commute every day,) but I just keep telling myself that I have mad driving skills. I do! Goodness knows I've been doing it long enough.

It's probably the same for you. If it's any comfort, I read once that over time, driving becomes an "automatic skill," something you can do while you are daydreaming. You can rely on your years of accumulated experience to pull you through.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: December 04, 2016 09:33AM

You're not alone. The only act of transportation I hate more than driving is flying.

I spend about ten hours a week on buses and like nothing better than slumping against the window in a rear seat, staring out at the passing Creation, not a care in the world.

Hang in there. If the symptoms get worse you might want to talk to an MD about some meds. (Works for me.)

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: December 04, 2016 10:12AM

I travel for work, including to unfamiliar, foreign countries and I have anxiety over the driving every single time. However, as others have said, GPS has made a huge difference for me. Before GPS, I would spend a lot of time memorizing my route as well as the major streets surrounding the area. Then, while other people might drive around to find dinner, I would stick to the hotel or places within walking distance. GPS has made travel much more comfortable for me, and I'm no longer quite so anxious. A little bit, still, but not as much as before.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 04, 2016 01:47PM

Yes, I imagine so.

Posted by: Titanic Survivor ( )
Date: December 04, 2016 11:15PM

You might look at the Google map to where you are going and study it and familiarize yourself with the major roads and turns and so on (even if you travel by GPS) and look at the satellite view of the terrain as well. That could make you more familiar with the area and more comfortable about going there. Also, what about taking along a good audio book; there are some about anxiety management. It could be like having a very sensible friend along. Check your library for audio books on CD or downloadable. You might also plan a couple of time-outs on the road; pull over and take a 15 minute stroll or grab a cup of coffee. Take snacks to enjoy in the car.

Date: December 04, 2016 11:20PM

Wow, I let this thread get away from me! I figured I'd get a reply or two before this faded to page 2 and beyond. Each of your replies means a lot to me. Most of the advice is wonderful, and a lot of it I already do with good success. What means the most to me is seeing so many of you willing to put yourselves out there and talk about this anxiety (which many people don't understand and look down on) to help a stranger. I appreciate all of you! I am keeping this thread open on my phone so I can glance back at it from time to time between now and my trip for a bit of encouragement. Thank you all so much!

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: December 04, 2016 11:51PM

I had a fear of flying. It got so bad, I had to take tranquilizers even to get on an airplane. I finally, got cognitive therapy and now look forward to air travel. I learned that there were certain triggers that caused anxiety. Once I recognized them, I was able to gain control back in my life. You may want to consider cognitive therapy for your driving anxiety. Best wishes, The Boner.

Posted by: Anonymous not logged in ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 03:36AM

I have travel anxiety, too. I take a tranquilizer when I fly.

No--do not take tranquilizers for driving!

I have PTSD, and have been through cognitive therapy, too. Anxiety attacks are awful! I had one of my scariest anxiety attacks when I was driving alone, in the middle of the desert, before cell phones and GPS. I could not stop my car to breathe into a paper bag or walk around, because it was 112 degrees, which added to my anxiety. There was nothing out there to distract me, until I saw a mileage sign. I started to do math in my hear, using my speedometer, on how far I had gone, etc, and figuring in the time factors, and figuring how soon someone from home could meet me on the way--all that junior high school algebra stuff.

Distract yourself, any way you can, except visually, of course. Talk out loud. Give yourself a pep-talk, "Only 5 miles left. The worst is over."

I had to go back, on that same drive, alone across the desert in the summer heat--about 10 more times! Cognitive therapy is amazing! I had deliberately forgotten, that my violent ex-husband, 30 years ago, while driving across that same desert, had hit me on the head with his Karate fist, then had stopped the car and hit me some more, and had dragged me out of the car, and had left me at the side of the road, in the heat, with no shoes, no water. I wanted to die. He eventually came back for me, and after several more beatings, I divorced him.

Most likely, you have the normal fear of extreme speed. Humans weren't meant to zip along at 70 mph, and, yes, you can get killed doing that. I take the back roads, too. I stop periodically, and walk a few minutes (unless it's 112 degrees). It is fun to pick stopping places on the satellite map, before your trip, that look interesting or scenic. If you repeat a drive, you can have your usual hanging-out places, to revisit. The more familiar you become with a road, the better. Stay in the slower lane, at the speed limit. If someone comes too close behind you, move out of the way.

Avoid caffeine if you have any kind of anxiety. I mean, just don't drink the stuff, ever.

Stay hydrated on a trip. Dehydration causes anxiety-like symptoms, such as weakness, shakiness, nervousness.

You might or might not get over it. But even if you don't, you can learn to have a much better time of it. Good luck.

Posted by: Titanic Survivor ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 01:52PM

If you have to show up in a suit, change in a restroom when you get to the town.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 02:15PM

I don't mind areas which are very familiar to me but hate new complicated routes to places I've never been. Part of the problem is my poor sense of direction.

Also, I was in a terrible accident when I was almost five years old. I was injured and my mother was hurt so badly she was in a hospital bed for over a year and never regained good mobility. I often think that getting into a car might mean the end of a good life for me, and it would be worse if I caused an accident. I'm a good careful driver and I'm glad for the freedom to go where I need to go but I wish it I could feel less threatened and more relaxed about it.

Posted by: kvothe ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 05:12PM

So, I'm not going to tell you to suck it up. I'm going to ask what exactly you think will happen if you drive through a "bad neighborhood?"

There aren't likely to be any IEDs on the road or anything. There's locks on your doors. What's the problem?

And how do you define "bad neighborhood?"

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 06, 2016 05:47AM

This poster doesn't have to justify his/her feelings or reactions, but I think you need to do just that. I'm wondering why are you trying to put someone on the spot?

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: December 06, 2016 06:19AM

I was thinking the same thing. I don't think this person understands anxiety. Experiencing anxiety has nothing to do with having locks on the door or worrying about IEDs on the road. A lot of anxiety is brought on by irrational fear, which means having locks on the door won't help that much.

Quit trying to make this about xenophobia or racism.

Date: December 06, 2016 07:40AM

I am driving to Downtown Detroit. The highways and downtown areas are quite safe - the surrounding neighborhoods are still very dangerous, especially in the night/early morning hours. So you ask "what could possibly go wrong?" The answer, unfortunately, is quite a bit.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 09:01PM

I can relate, as sometimes my anxiety disorder makes driving somewhat difficult, but I now remind myself of the time I was in Las Vegas during a flash flood, and driving on the median to avoid a flooded street. I managed to keep calm the entire time, when I easily could have had a serious panic attack.

Despite that, I'm still planning to drive to Vegas again from California to visit my mom in over a week, as it's easier for us to spend time before Christmas there than it is driving in the New Year's traffic.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.