Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: December 03, 2016 06:03PM

that time of year when tithing is hammered.

In response to the position that it is a debt:

If it is a legal debt and I am not paying it "Call a lawyer and sue me!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: December 03, 2016 06:13PM

I try not to think about what I paid in tithing. I'd prefer to do something less painful, like smash a brick against my thick skull.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: December 03, 2016 06:36PM

I gave them my heart, mind and soul. That's what mattered.

The financial part was trivial by comparison.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: December 04, 2016 11:45AM

Exactly!!!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: December 03, 2016 06:27PM

Some years ago a friend of mine hired a part time maid. She was very poor, and she was LDS. One day she told him that she'd gone to her bishop for tithing settlement, and the bishop asked if she could give extra. She was proud to say that she gave an extra eight hundred dollars. My friend was was not happy to hear about it.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: December 04, 2016 06:43PM

Mormonism$ blank check!
Extortion. Pickpocketing.
Bait and Switch.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 04, 2016 07:37PM

To me, requesting (or even expecting) 10% from every member is both unkind and unnecessary. There are a number of unkind things about the Mormon faith, and this is one of them. It hits the poorest members the hardest. They need every penny to provide for their needs. And they need the dignity of providing for themselves, if at all possible. Instead, they are expected to give, give, give to the Mormon church, and then go back to their bishop, hat in hand (often only to be told that they are not doing enough.)

Jesus did not tithe; neither did he request tithes. The majority of Christian churches do not request tithes. Instead the churches request donations that are at the discretion of each member, generally between 1-3%. The Mormon church wants to bleed its members dry.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: December 04, 2016 08:17PM

I remember a convert she was a single mom with 5 kids working at the mc donalds drive through. Even as an active member I was hoping she would not pay tithing because she needed every cent. Her dream was to get a GED and become a nurse. She came from outside the usa and her English was not that great, no family close by an easy target for the missionaries. A couple of years ago hubby saw her again at the drive through and she said that she has been inactive for a while. Hubby said to her that the church was false and she smiled and said that she thought so too.
There is an old saying "show me your checkbook and I will tell you what your priorities are". Well lds.inc buys a mall, land, investments hardly anything of the tithing money goes to charity.

Posted by: Joe-no-mo ( )
Date: December 04, 2016 11:07PM

...not to mention the money LDS Inc. does give to charity is but a fraction of the 10% of income required of members...AND it a requirement by the STATE (not god) to maintain 501C3, tax exempt status. I think LDS gives just enough to not stir up the IRS.

Posted by: Biotechman ( )
Date: January 01, 2017 11:08PM

Excellent posts on tithing. The mental manipulation that goes along with" tithing settlement" every year makes me want to vomit. I served as financial secretary for a number of years watching middle to lower income families pay 1000s with their hard earned dollars to a multi billion dollar corporation and feeling proud about it. Seeing their kids with very little in the way of proper clothing or nutrition relying on the bishops storehouse for HFCS laden food for sustenance. Nice exchange! I never understand the concept of "paying tithing"- which by definition is a misnomer. The verb of paying implies a debt that is owed. NO ONE OWES THE MORMON CHURCH.

Date: December 04, 2016 11:05PM

ROBBINGhood. LDSinc takes from the POOR to give to the RICH. Joseph Smith, Jr. never worked and expected the conned converts to carry him high above the clouds. That's what the 1 + 2 + 12 + 70 + 420 + 1,001+ expect still today.

LDSmotto: you take care of us today and we'll take care of you tomorrow (when you are dead and eternally gone). Tithing isn't to be given out. It is to be taken in. Swindling...

Mormonism isn't Christianity! (It wouldn't know a Christian if it meet one a thousands times a thousand) - it's selfish, conceited and shamefully stuck up - the opposite of compassionate, considerate, helpful and concerned for others.

It is a lost and woeful cult; a demanding, heartless, mind control technique; a self-deluded anti-saint.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2016 09:56AM by moremany.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 01, 2017 11:17PM

My father taught me that money is God. Not with words but with actions. In Mormonism you pay God with some of the God that you worked for. God provides God with God.

Posted by: severedpuppetstrings ( )
Date: January 01, 2017 11:27PM

It's why we refer to TSCC as LD$, Inc.

A lot of are aware that one of the main reasons that TSCC lifted the "Priesthood Ban" was because they might have lost their non-profit status and a lot of money.

I would hear members bragging about how the church helps the poor, but I have not heard anything about it.

I've heard about the farmland they own (not sure how that helps the poor), the high-end mall they built, and the high-end skyscraper that they had just "prayed over."

And yet, members are at times forced to act as custodians for the meetinghouses.

Heck, they could have built a homeless shelter in Salt Lake City or somewhere in Idaho, but that wouldn't make them any money, now would it?

Posted by: Aimedatus ( )
Date: January 01, 2017 11:59PM

My son gave the church 30k the day after Christmas. The next morning he got up at 8am to go clean the church.

I asked him if he thought there was something wrong with that picture. Crickets.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: January 02, 2017 08:22AM

That would hire a janitor: Pay to Pray/ Play cleaning disservices.

Mormonism: sickening!

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: January 01, 2017 11:34PM

Oldest con in the book. First you create the problem, then you provide the solution.

"You will not be with Heavenly Father in the Celestial Kingdom.

But for a small fee..."

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: January 02, 2017 08:24AM

Small? HELL!

Edited to fix title length

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2017 08:25AM by readwrite.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 02, 2017 12:01AM

the trickle up theory

Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: January 02, 2017 03:05AM

I will never understand how the members don't see that paying tithing causes more problems than solutions. Perhaps my parents could've helped a little with college tuition had they not payed so much tithing. Perhaps my TBM sister who has lived with our parents for 12 years as an adult (with her family) and claims she can't afford to move out could actually afford to move out if she didn't pay tithing. But she is 'waiting for the blessings!'

Date: January 02, 2017 11:47PM

If tscc takes all your money, you'll have to spend all your TIME making more, for TMC, NOT for your family!

Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: January 03, 2017 11:06AM

I can't believe now how strongly I believed in paying tithing before. I bore testimony of it.

Now I realize that the only "blessing" of paying tithing first and on time, was that we didn't get behind in paying tithing. It's so hard to catch up.

Date: January 04, 2017 11:55AM

When TSCC claims it is/ speaks for goLd! When the LDSC puts it's hand out (begging), it's really 'HEAVENLY FALTERS' hand. Sure! Right? Nope

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.