Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: paulk ( )
Date: December 03, 2016 02:59PM

Just got an email from our bishop inviting us to participate in an #lighttheworld activity the Church has put together. Apparently it has 25 things to do from December 1 to December 25.

It just seems gimmicky. I mean could you imagine if social media existed 2000 years ago that Jesus would be using the hashtag #breadoflife?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: December 03, 2016 06:18PM

Once again "BULLSHITSKI"

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: December 03, 2016 06:35PM

Twenty-five days! As if Advent isn't long enough. Few holidays can rival Christmas for affording human beings the opportunity to bore each other to death.

LDS is a perfect front for people who, when they were kids, wanted to grow up to be bureaucrats--not astronauts or artists or firemen, but pencil-pushers. The church invents ways for all its little bureaucrat-wannabes to stay involved recycling the same tired ideas over and over and over again. Twenty-five consecutive days of LDS activities! That's just sad.

And the church's ideas stick around like cockroaches surviving a nuclear war. Last night I listened to a young TBM rhapsodize ad nauseam about "The Family: A Proclamation to the World." That wine turned to vinegar a long time ago.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: December 03, 2016 08:54PM

I quite agree, what is preached at the pulpit is to obey in every way, follow the same path, and become a bureaucrat (as you said), but interestingly that's not how the church came to be. Somewhere along the lines now we are told to keep it sweet, obey and not rock the boat.

But wasn't is old Joe who was rebelling against being a methodist, and started his own church?
Didn't Luther rebel against death bed tithing and other things?
Tindale rebelled by publishing the English bible?

In US history
Washington rebelled against the crown, and the English church, and led an army to fight against King George,
Jefferson refused to pay extra taxes, (sort of like obama care?)
Franklin rebelled by getting foreign money from France to pay for the war against the Crown.

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: December 04, 2016 02:03AM

Their latest one is extra annoying. Apparently as part of the Light the World thing, wards are having open houses tomorrow. ALL of my Mormon friends are advertising it on their FB. And all of them are being so self-righteous about it (I'm sure you've noticed there is something different about me - come to our open house to find out more!). Of course, as with all their shit, the only ones who interact with these posts are just other Mormons.

Posted by: icedtea ( )
Date: December 04, 2016 10:25AM

As always, their social media efforts are tone deaf. Mormons form an echo chamber, fill it with self-congratulatory feedback loops, and then flatter themselves that non-members think they're dope. In reality, few non-Mormons ever notice, and the ones that do, see right through the pathetic efforts.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.