Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Toothfairy ( )
Date: December 03, 2016 10:38AM

I'm pissed off just thinking about this. My baby will get a "blessing" and will then be counted as a member of the lds church. They will have his/her date of birth name, contact info (well mine) etc forever now. Such BS. The lds church counts babies as members....what a joke.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 03, 2016 11:28AM

It's your option not to. If it rubs you as inherently wrong to do it, then don't.

It is called a name and a blessing not so much for membership, as a ritual for the parents. The real membership comes at age 8 when your baby becomes baptized, and then gets confirmed.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: December 03, 2016 11:32AM

They are still a "child of record" and are hunted down around age 8 for baptism.

I think they stay on the books until age 18.

Date: December 03, 2016 11:33AM

If the parents are gay, this now becomes a moot point. :)

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: December 03, 2016 06:25PM

Amyjo

I disagree. Upon blessing the child becomes a person of record.
FOR-EVER

Date: December 03, 2016 09:37PM

The name and blessing though does not make an infant a member of the COJCOLDS. That only happens upon confirmation at (or after,) the age of accountability, which is still 8 years old.

"Confirmation

A person receives the ordinance of confirmation after he or she has been baptized (see D&C 20:41). Under the direction of the bishopric or branch presidency, one or more Melchizedek Priesthood holders may participate in this ordinance. They place their hands lightly on the person’s head. Then the person who performs the ordinance:

1. States the person’s full name.
2. States that the ordinance is performed by the authority of the Melchizedek Priesthood.
3. Confirms the person a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
4. Bestows the gift of the Holy Ghost by saying, “Receive the Holy Ghost.”
5. Gives a priesthood blessing as the Spirit directs.
6. Closes in the name of Jesus Christ."

Compare to name and blessing, which is just that: giving a name and a blessing to a newborn infant:

"When blessing a baby, brethren gather in a circle and place their hands under the baby. When blessing an older child, brethren place their hands lightly on the child’s head. The person who gives the blessing:

1. Addresses Heavenly Father.
2. States that the blessing is performed by the authority of the Melchizedek Priesthood.
3. Gives the child a name.
4. Gives a priesthood blessing as the Spirit directs.
5. Closes in the name of Jesus Christ."

Nothing about the naming and blessing denotes 'membership.' They're only on the rolls because their parents put them there, but not as 'members' before the baptismal day and confirmation.

https://www.lds.org/manual/duties-and-blessings-of-the-priesthood-basic-manual-for-priesthood-holders-part-b/priesthood-and-church-government/lesson-5-performing-priesthood-ordinances?lang=eng

Posted by: lolly 18 ( )
Date: December 03, 2016 02:30PM

If she is not baptized by age 9, her name is dropped off the church rolls.

Blessing is not a saving ordinance. It is not required in any way. If your spouse knows that and that the name is removed from the church rolls unless she is baptized, why does she want to do the blessing?

Posted by: Mom2boys ( )
Date: December 03, 2016 07:59PM

My youngest did not have a baby blessing and we never provided any information but he is on the church rolls as they sent him a birthday card this year. We have never set foot in the ward.

Posted by: 64monkey ( )
Date: December 04, 2016 12:22PM

Tell them your gay. End of problem.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.