Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: November 29, 2016 01:39AM

Below is a recent cartoon remembering Florence Agmes Henderson, aka, “The Brady Bunch” TV show's mom, "Carol”:

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/9979c719a866f77d4a04ad998e00171aafa6f38f/c=0-33-3597-2738&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/2016/11/28/Phoenix/Phoenix/636159174923565074-Benson-Florencce-Henderson-Brady-Bunch-11-27-16-.jpg

(click, if necessary, to enlarge)
_____

Florence Henderson had a memorable career that touched the lives of millions of Americans in a special family TV sort of way--but, before reviewing her wondrous life and accomplishments, first a sidelight of possible interest to those here curious about the show's Mormon connection--as in the real-life LDS roots and background of "The Brady Bunch's" character, “Bobby":

“Former child actor and camera man Mike Lookinland was born on December 19, 1960, in Mt. Pleasant, Utah . . . [as] Michael Paul Lookinland . . . into a Mormon family.

"Lookinland began working as an actor at the age of 7 and, by the time he was 9, had appeared in dozens of television commercials, including spots for Cheerios and Band-Aid, and in promos for children's toys.

"When his career took off, his parents, Paul and Karen, moved Lookinland and his siblings . . . to California. . .. At only 8 years old, [he] was cast as ‘Bobby Brady,’ the youngest of three boys in a blended family (joined by three stepsisters), on the popular 1970s sitcom ‘The Brady Bunch’. . ..

“Lookinland attended Chadwick School in Palos Verdes Peninsula, California, during his high school years. He went on to attend the University of Utah in Salt Lake City, but dropped out to become a movie production assistant and a cameraman . . ..

“In 1987, Lookinland married Kelly Wermuth. The couple has two sons . . .

“In November 1997, Lookinland was arrested for drunk driving in Utah after losing control of his vehicle [a Ford Bronco]. He entered rehab in December of that year, and has reportedly not had a drink since.

“Lookinland lives in Salt Lake City. He is a spokesman for the Southern Utah Wilderness and operates a business that makes decorative concrete.”
_____

More bio information on Lookinland:

“Mike Lookinland was . . . the second of three children born to Paul and Karen Lookinland. He has a younger brother named Todd, who starred in 'Blue Bird' with Elizabeth Taylor, and an older sister Theresa. He is a self-professed conservationist and ‘camping nut.’

"Mike's mother, Karen, was an amateur photographer and occasionally took pictures of the 'Brady Bunch.' Mike's father was a vice-principal at San Pedro High School in San Pedro, California, part of the Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD). In the late 1970s. [Mike] attended the private Chadwick School on the Palos Verdes Peninsula in southern California, and graduated in 1978. During the ‘Brady Bunch’ years, Mike also attended Hollywood Professional School with co-stars Maureen McCormick, Christopher Knight and Susan Olsen. . ..

“By 1968, . . . Lookinland had been a TV commercial actor and had done around 30 commercials. Th[at] year, he was offered two roles: as ‘Eddie Corbett’ on ‘The Courtship of Eddie's Father’ and ‘Bobby Brady’ on ‘The Brady Bunch.’ His family chose the latter one, suggesting that it would be healthier for him to be around other kids, rather than being the only child amongst an all-adult cast. . ..

"He has naturally sandy-colored wavy hair, which did not match ‘Peter's’ or ‘Greg's’ natural dark brown color. For ‘Brady Bunch,’ he had to have his hair dyed dark brown with Clairol #43 hair spray and straightened to match. Occasionally, the lights on set, though. were so hot that his dye job would sometimes run down his face. During the last two seasons of ‘The Brady Bunch,’ his natural hair color was finally allowed to show.

"‘Bobby’. . . was always the type of kid who was sweet, funny, energetic, and sometimes dramatic during his role on ‘The Brady Bunch.’ On 'The Brady Bunch,' . . . during the show's final season, 'Bobby' kisses a girl named ‘Milicent’ (Melissa Sue Anderson) and he sees ‘sky rockets.’ She then informs him that she may have the mumps and he ‘shouldn't have done that’ 'Bobby' and his family nervously await her telephone call with the doctor's results.

"Four years later, the two reunited on an episode of 'Little House on the Prairie,' on which Anderson played Mary Ingalls, and Lookinland guest starred.’ Melissa Sue Anderson was also raised in the LDS (Mormon) Church. . ..

“Shortly after the final season of ‘The Brady Bunch’ wrapped [up] filming, he appeared alongside Jennifer Jones and Paul Newman in the 1974 disaster film blockbuster ‘The Towering Inferno' and on the 1970s TV show, ‘The Secrets of Isis.’

“In fall 1976, Mike appeared on an episode of 'Donny and Marie' with Maureen McCormick, Susan Olsen and Florence Henderson, which served as an inspiration for the later 'The Brady Bunch Hour.’ Mike had no interest in doing the show, and tried to get out of the show by asking for a double salary. However, his request was accepted, resulting in a raised salary for all cast members. Even then, Mike had no desire to do the show, so he started to play hooky from the rehearsals, until one day Florence Henderson found him around the parking lot and reminded him that they were all professionals doing their job and ‘if his heart wasn't in it, then neither should he be.’

“Mike reprised his role as 'Bobby Brady' in the 1981 made-for-TV movie, ‘The Brady Girls Get Married;' the 1988 Christmas special, ‘A Very Brady Christmas;' and again in the 1990 sequel series, ‘The Bradys,’ in which ‘Bobby Brady’ was involved in a racing car accident which made him a wheelchair user throughout the series. Interestingly, the first two names of the 'Brady' father character played by Robert Reed was 'Michael Paul,' the same as Lookinland's actual names; also, Mike Lookinland's character was named ‘Bobby’ (a short form of 'Robert'), the same as Robert Reed's actual name.

“Mike is the only 'Brady Bunch' cast member to have appeared in all original 'Brady Bunch' spin-offs. (that is, if ‘The Brady Girls Get Married’ TV movie is counted as a pilot to ‘The Brady Brides’).

“After graduating high school, Mike went back to Utah and briefly attended the University of Utah, but dropped out (much like 'Bobby Brady' himself did) and became a movie production assistant and a cameraman.

“Since 1987, Mike has been married to Kelly Wermuth, who worked as a script supervisor on ‘Touched by an Angel.’ They have two sons: Scott (born 1990) and Joe (born 1993). He was portrayed by his son Scott in the TV movie ‘Growing Up Brady’, where he himself appeared as a cameraman. Years after leaving 'The Brady Bunch,' Lookinland cut off the end of his index finger with a table saw. The end was deemed too small to be sewn back on, but it has never affected his career.

“On November 12, 1997, Mike totaled his 1990 Ford Bronco in a car accident on a Utah highway 35 miles north of St. George, while returning home from his work at St. George as a cameraman on ‘The Promised Land’. His blood alcohol level was found to be 0.258%, more than three times the Utah legal limit of 0.08. After being treated for cuts and bruises, Mike was arrested and later released on a $1,550 bail. On May 27, 1998, Mike was fined $1,500 and sentenced to 24 hours of community service. Being an alcoholic at the time, Mike commented that after ‘the choice between sobering up or drinking became the choice of living or dying,’ he quit alcohol and has been sober ever since.

"Mike is a ‘Deadhead’ (a fan of ‘The Grateful Dead’)."
_____

“. . . Lookinland, . . . a movie and TV cameraman in Salt Lake City, . . . concede[d] that ‘the ["Brady Bunch"] show is completely inane in a lot of ways. But it was fun.' Cast as boisterous ‘Bobby’ at 8, the L.A.-reared Lookinland had only one major complaint: the dark dye applied to his carrot top to make him look like the other Brady boys. ‘He would sweat and there’d be black stuff running down his face,’ recalls Susan Olsen. After the series’ end, Lookinland entered the University of Utah but dropped out to work as a movie production assistant, then as a cameraman. He [also] worked on a film, ‘Way of the Gun,’ starring James Caan. ‘Life’s never been better for me,’ he says.

“Credit his wife . . . Kelly, . . . [a]nd a 1997 drunk-driving arrest--after Lookinland totaled his Ford Bronco--that convinced him to get sober. ‘I was a raving alcoholic for years,’ he says. ‘It took almost dying to finally quit.’ Today, he still has a fondness for 'The Brady Bunch.' "If it vanished,’ he says, “’ know I’d miss it."'

“In [the] mid-2000s, after his wife brought home a library book on making concrete countertops, Mike decided to quit his job as a cameraman and started up his own business, making custom concrete countertops.”

(“Mike Lookinland Biography” Television Actor [1960-],” at "bio,” http://www.biography.com/people/mike-lookinland-21330059#synopsis; “Mike Looklinland: Mugshots, Television,” including booking photo, at “The Smoking Gun,” 1 November 1997, http://www.thesmokinggun.com/mugshots/celebrity/television/mike-lookinland; "The Brady Bunch Wiki, Mike Lookinland.” at “fandom,” http://bradybunch.wikia.com/wiki/Mike_Lookinland; and “The Family Still Matters,” by Julie K.L. Dam and Samantha Miller, “People “ magazine, 13 December 1999, http://people.com/archive/cover-story-the-family-still-matters-vol-52-no-23/)
_____

From a 1992 article appearing in the Mormon Church-owned “Deseret News”:

“20 years ago, 'Deseret News' critic Howard Pearson wrote a good dozen articles on Mike Lookinland ('Bobby Brady') alone. He traced Lookinland's roots to Spring City, Utah. Interviewed his siblings.

“So with 'Brady' mania building again, I went looking for Lookinland.

"I found him in a quiet, middle-class Salt Lake neighborhood.
Today, Mike Lookinland is a hard-working photo-pro for 'Rocky Mountain Pictures.' His home is a modest red-brick house, his wife is a modest woman named Kelly, and his 2-year-old son, Scott, is the center of their universe. Photos of Scott fill the living room walls. Toys and songbooks abound. And Mike Lookinland himself is at peace with himself and his life.

"’I came back to Utah to get away from Hollywood,’ he says. ‘I even had my name in the phone book here for awhile, until I began getting 40 calls a day from people wondering if I played "Bobby."’

“But other than the phone hassles, Lookinland lives the American dream, complete with a grade school up the street, two churches within walking distance, dutiful neighbors and a screen door that needs some repair. The neighborhood could pass as a set for "Leave It to Beaver."

"’For me,’ he says, ‘the "Brady" thing is in the past. I'm just amazed at all this new interest in it.’

“And what does he think triggered it all?

“'I have to think people are going back to the "Bradys" because they want to feel good,’ he says. ‘I mean a family that isn't dysfunctional is something of a fantasy for a lot of kids today. Even when I was doing the show, I'd get entire bags of mail full of letters that would say "I love your family. In my family, my father beats my mother."

"’The "Brady" family was what everyone wanted their family to be like."’

“Other stars from the show ended shipwrecked or worse. How did Lookinland make it out?

"’I guess I made it through without many scars because of my parents, my upbringing and just dumb luck,’ he says. With the rediscovery of "Bradys," however, he says he finds himself being tossed back into the fish tank again. I asked what people want to know most.

"’The No. 1 question is, “Do you still keep in touch with the other 'Brady' kids?” The answer to that is “occasionally." They live in Los Angeles and I live in Utah, so we don't socialize much.’

“’The second question is always, “Do you still get residuals from the show?” The answer is "no"'

“Driving away from our interview, I thought about Lookinland's comment that we return to the 'Bradys' for fantasy. Years ago, viewers saw ‘Ozzie and Harriet’ and ‘Make Room for Daddy’ as everyday realism. Had the American family slipped so far that now such things were dreams from long ago?

“Perhaps. But not in all cases. Mike Lookinland, his wife and son seem to living proof that the ‘Brady Bunch'--at least the ‘Lookinland Bunch'--can still exist in the '90s."

(“Former Utah Actor's Family is Proof the 'Brady Bunch' Can Still Exist in the '90s,”,” by Jerry Johnson, “Desert News,” 8 June 1992, http://www.deseretnews.com/article/229949/FORMER-UTAH-ACTORS-FAMILY-IS-PROOF-THE-BRADY-BUNCH-CAN-STILL--EXIST-IN-THE-90S.html?pg=all)
_____

As of 2002, Lookinland was “[l]iv[ing] in Utah, where he continues to work on films as a camera operator. Credited as 1st Assistant Camera for Blair Treu's feature film, "Little Secrets" (2002). 1st assistant camera for the Latter-day Saint-themed feature film, ‘Handcart’ (2002).”

(“Brief Biographies of Latter-day Saint and/or Utah Film Personalities,” alphabetized by last name, http://www.ldsfilm.com/bio/bioL2.html)

But back to where this all started, with "Carol Ann Brady"-- in real-life, Florence Henderson (and then tying it back into "Bobby"):

“Actress Florence Henderson became a television icon when she played the role of ‘Carol Brady’ the mom of a blended family with six children, on the 1970s sitcom 'The Brady Bunch.'
. . .

"Henderson was born on February 14, 1934, in Dale, Indiana. She started her career in theater, appearing on Broadway and also starred in the national tour of Rodgers & Hammerstein's ‘Oklahoma!’ Henderson moved over to TV, and became ‘The Tonight Show's’ first female guest host. In 1969, she landed the role that made her famous, ‘Carol Brady’ on ‘The Brady Bunch,’ and she hosted ‘The Florence Henderson Show’ on RLTV from 2007-2009. Henderson died on November 24, 2016, at the age of 82. . ..
_____

“. . . [Florence Henderson's] mother was a homemaker and her father was a tobacco sharecropper, and she was the youngest of 10 children. [She] learned to sing at age 2, by which time she had a repertoire of 50 songs she knew by heart. By age 8, she was singing in pubic, performing in local grocery stores, and at 16, she was earning money singing for the Kiwanis, the Elks, and the American Legion. Her family was poor and life was harsh; shortly after graduating from high school, she moved to New York City to go to the American Academy of Dramatic Arts and start a new life.

“Her theater career began in musicals, with the touring production of ‘Oklahoma!' and her Broadway debut, in 1952, in 'Wish You Were Here.' While performing in ‘Oklahoma!’ she met Shirley Jones, who would play another iconic '70s TV mom in ‘The Partridge Family' and with whom she would remain lifelong friends. She returned to ‘Oklahoma!’ when it was revived off-Broadway, and a year later, was back on Broadway performing in the musical ‘Fanny.’ She continued to work in theater up until the late 1960s. . . .

“Henderson warmed to TV quickly. She guest-starred on 'I Spy' and various variety shows. Bright, cheerful and smart, she was recruited for ad campaigns, too. In 1962, she became the first woman ever to guest-host ‘The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson’ and, that same year, became 'The Today Girl,' a young woman on ‘The Today Show’ who covered the weather and light news. . .. She was a regular guest on variety and talk shows with Ed Sullivan, Merv Griffin, Steve Allen and Dean Martin, and appeared frequently on game shows—which she loved--from the late 1950s through the late 1970s. . . .

“The role for which Henderson is most famous came in 1969, while she was shooting her first feature film, ‘The Song of Norway’ (1970). Although she was the third choice to play ‘Carol Brady’ after Joyce Bulifant and Shirley Jones, she landed the role. For the first six episodes, while Henderson was still on location her movie, the ‘Brady Bunch’ production team had to film everything they could without her, then shot her scenes immediately when she returned to California.

"Henderson played ‘Carol Brady’ for 5 years and was well-liked for her charm and camaraderie with the rest of the cast. As a working mother, herself, she lobbied for ‘Carol’ to have a job, but producers refused. When the show met the minimum number of episodes required for syndication, it was cancelled, despite its popularity, and is still running in syndication today.

“The bonds she formed with her fellow cast members never broke. She stayed close to Robert Reed ('Mike') and Ann B. Davis ('Alice') right up until their deaths, as well as her TV children; all six grown-up ‘kids’ celebrated her 80th birthday with her in 2014.

“’The Brady Bunch’ was a big hit, and became increasingly popular in re-runs. It is now considered a cultural icon of the '70s, spawning multiple TV movies, variety specials, and reunion specials, and two spoof feature films in the mid-'90s.

“Henderson also became well known for her appearances in commercials. She was the spokeswoman for Wesson Oil (because it had 'Wessonality’) for 30 years, starting in 1976, and then became the face of Polident, despite being proud of not needing dentures herself. She said her family members used it, and that's why she stood behind it.”

(“Florence Henderson Biography, Television Actress [1936-2016],” at “bio,” http://www.biography.com/people/florence-henderson-9542153#synopsis)

According to “People" magazine, "[A]s 'Carol Brady,' Florence Henderson was the queen of shag--but not in the Austin Powers sense. Her infamously groovy hairdo, parodied by Shelley Long in the 'Brady' movies of the mid-’90s, was regretted by thousands of women who wore it in the ’70s. ‘It was my fault!’ Henderson admit[ted] with a laugh.

“As the sunniest mom on TV, Henderson, . . . helped raise a generation of fans. ‘At the time of the show, there were a lot of families splitting up,’ she explain[ed]. ‘Our show gave them hope.’

"The youngest of 10 children of a poor sharecropper, the Indiana native says her own mother was hardworking but not often affectionate. 'I played "Carol Brady" as the mother I always wished I had,’ she s[id]--[t]hough she adds that she also wished her alter ego had a career, Henderson tried to push the envelope in other ways: ‘I purposely wore sexy nightgowns!'"

(“The Family Still Matters," by Julie K.L. Dam and Samantha Miller, “People” magazine, 13 December 1999, http://people.com/archive/cover-story-the-family-still-matters-vol-52-no-23/)
_____

Florence Henderson--aka, "Carol Brady"--a lovable character in a TV sitcom who, ironically, in that fictional "Brady Bunch" Land, was a great mother role model for that real-life Mormon boy from Mt. Pleasant, Utah: Mike Lookinland. She came to the sitcom as a loving, sensitive, aware, strong and determined single working mom--cast as such with three daughters of her own who, connected heart and soul in enthusiastic union with a single working dad (played by Robert Reed) with three of his own sons--to make a beautiful, fun and heartwarming life together for their blended family (Yeah, they were all white but, hey, this was still the late '60s into the mid-'70s, when the existence and rights of African-Americans and other national minorities : were still minimized, if not largely ignored by the larger,surrounding white society. And then there was "Brady" dad Robert ("Mike") Reed who was, in real life, gay but who did not let that stop him from playing the role of a kind, loving, communicative father/spouse in a "traditional" family unit back in the day when awareness and acceptance by straight Americans of gay Americans still had a long ways to go),

Through it all, Florence "Brady Mom" Henderson was a tuned-in family beacon, bulwark, and buddy. That was enchantingly and boisterously evident not only in the TV show itself, but in what she tried to accomplish with it behind the scenes during production:

“At the beginning of the ['Brady Bunch'] pilot, her last name [was] ‘Martin’ from her first marriage, during which she had had three daughters. She gain[ed] three stepsons when she marr[ied] 'Mike Brady.' [‘Carol’] enjoy[ed] singing in the church choir, and with her daughter 'Marcia' in the high school Family Frolic Talent Show. In the episode ‘A Fistful of Reasons’, in which 'Cindy' [was] bullied because of her lisp, Carol confesse[d] that she too overcame a lisp while growing up in Swampscott, Massachusetts. Her parents [were] depicted only in the pilot ‘The Honeymoon,' and her maternal grandmother, Connie Hutchins ([also played by] Florence Henderson), appear[ed] in ‘You're Never Too Old.’ She ha[d] an unseen brother, Jack Tyler, and sister-in-law, Pauline (the parents of Cousin Oliver).

“During the original ‘Brady Bunch’ series, 'Carol' is a stay-at-home mother. In the sequels, she becomes a real estate agent, converting the boys' old room into her home office.

“How 'Carol's' previous marriage ended (i.e., due to a death or divorce) is not mentioned. Creator and Executive Producer Sherwood Schwartz had originally intended for 'Carol' to be a divorcee; however, ABC refused to allow the fate of her first marriage to be revealed on the show. Sherwood Schwartz later wished to use her divorce to his advantage, and wanted to use 'Carol's' previous husband as a mechanism to replace Robert Reed on the show should the show enter its sixth season. The show was canceled before Schwartz could execute his plan.

“In 2009, 'Carol' was included in Yahoo!'s 'Top 10 TV Moms from Six Decades of Television' for the time period 1969-1974. She was also listed in the 'Top 5 Classic TV Moms' by Film.com.”

(“List of ‘The Brady Bunch’ Characters,” under “Carol Brady,” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Brady_Bunch_characters)

"The bonds she formed with her fellow cast members never broke. She stayed close to Robert Reed ('Mike') and Ann B. Davis ('Alice') right up until their deaths, as well as her TV children; all six grown-up ‘kids’ celebrated her 80th birthday with her in 2014."

With love, fond memories and sad good-byes to Florence, Carol and Mom.

R.I.P.

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2016 09:48PM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: November 29, 2016 02:00AM

Thanks for the cartoon od florence henderson, the number one iconic actress of my childhood even if I only caught the series itself in reruns, and for posting the info on Mike Lookinland.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: November 29, 2016 02:11AM

This is a touching and beautiful tribute, Steve...

Many kudos.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: November 29, 2016 07:03AM

...As always.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 29, 2016 04:23PM

Sweet memories. Thanks, Steve.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 29, 2016 07:42PM

Steve, that is the sweetest cartoon.

I am a longtime Dancing With the Stars fan. Florence was on a number of years ago, and did a very nice job. She was a warm, lovely personality, just as you would expect. Maureen McCormick was on more recently. What struck me about Maureen is that she is emotionally very fragile. Maybe not what you would expect at all. And Florence, who knew Maureen quite well, was in the audience, supporting her. That made a huge impression on me. What a lovely woman.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: November 29, 2016 08:13PM

Well done, Steve.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 29, 2016 08:40PM

Mike Lookinland was in my stake (Palos Verdes East stake) when I lived in Torrance in the very late 60's-early 70's.
Our ward boys' softball team played his ward, and he was on the opposing team.
I was excited to meet a "star" that was also a mormon.
He, however, was not excited to meet "fans" -- he acted like a jerk.

Date: November 29, 2016 09:01PM

She would not have put up with such obnoxious antics.

As noted in the OP, when, in real life, he was playing hooky from rehearsal because he didn't want to go to practice or even do the show, she took him aside and told him to behave like a professional--in essence, to be a team player because he has agreed to do the show.

In similar fashion, she would have reminded "Bobby" that he had agreed to be on the softball team. Being part of the team means to quit being a jerk, to grow up and be open, classy and courteous to the fans, showing them respect, especially when they showed you appreciation.

Florence was a good mom. She would've taken little "Bobby" by the ear and read him the riot act on this one.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2016 09:38PM by steve benson.

Date: November 29, 2016 10:19PM

True. She was a class act.
Mike, on the other hand, acted like it was such a bother to have people like him. Putz.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: November 29, 2016 09:15PM

Date: November 30, 2016 01:04AM

The examples below represent the variety of responses to the cartoon. as posted on a website devoted to cartoon display and commentary.

I'm particularly puzzled (and, quite frankly, amused) by how there seems to be, among the thumpy grumpies, such an anathema towards:

(1) praising Henderson for her role in "The Brady Bunch," or

(2) praising her, period."

--Critic #1:

"She [Henderson] was way more than that."

--My reply:

"Um, that’s what she was best known for, she enjoyed her role on that very popular show, it served her well professionally and personally, and millions of people loved her for it."

--Critic #1:

"Is it not true, then, that she was more than that? I don’t think I was wrong."

--My reply:

"I think it is relatively safe to say that lots of people are known for more than one thing in their lives.

"What you’re quibbling over is a point that is, well, rather pointless. You seem hung up over a cartoon that praises and remembers her within the larger context of what inarguably happens to have been the one thing in her career that she was best known for and, indeed, the one thing that the greater part of her appreciative fan base found most endearing about her--namely, her star role in the immensely popular “Brady Bunch” TV show.

"May I respectfully suggest that you get the hell over it.

"FYI. From a quick random search:

"'Florence Agnes Henderson was an American actress and singer with a career spanning six decades. She is best remembered for her starring role as matriarch Carol Brady on the ABC sitcom The Brady Bunch from 1969 to 1974. Wikipedia'”

--Critic #1:

"Sorry I forgot to check back. I didn’t know you were still talking. Glad to see you cite those other six decades. I’ll make a point of getting over whatever it is."

--My reply:

"Last time I checked, you were talking to me, so I responded to you directly.

"If you don’t want to check back only to find that I am actually responding to your comments directed at me, you can always choose not to initiate contact with me in the first place.

"Own it . . . . You began the exchange. You can run--and you can hide, as well.

"Heh."
_____

--Critic #2:

"Give me a break."

--My reply:

"It’s not my job to give you a break. If you can’t take a cartoon on Florence Henderson, you break way too easily."
_____

Critic #3:

--"Waiting for a new strip. While I have nothing against Florence Henderson, I don’t see much reason to have run this one."

--My reply:

"Well, then, you can draw and run your own cartoon telling the world why cartoons honoring Florence Henderson shouldn’t be published."

--Supporter #1:

". . . [S]he didn’t mind [her role in 'The Brady Bunch' show]. She said that role made her the beneficiary of love from a lot of people."

--My reply:

"Some people just can’t seem to handle the fact that Henderson’s famous role as the “Brady Bunch” mom endeared her to millions. Perhaps it boils down to a fit of jealousy. Who knows? Cartoons like this seem to bring out the “Bah Humbug” in certain folks."
_____

--Supporter #2:

"Thanks for the tribute Mr. Benson."

--My reply:

"yerwelcome"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2016 12:00AM by steve benson.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: November 30, 2016 05:35PM

I remember the Friday night prime time line up as a kid....8:00 The Brady Bunch, 8:30 The Partridge Family, 9:00 Room 222 (this slot changed shows now and then), 9:30 The Odd Couple, 10:00 Love American Style.

Good times!

Date: November 30, 2016 05:47PM

I especially liked your reply to #3.

Not sure how people complaining "that's not all she was known for" expect to put her entire career in a one-panel editorial cartoon...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.