Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: November 15, 2016 10:09AM

This story from lds living showed up in my facebook newsfeed. It is interesting to me because it seems to say that the blessing helped him find a wife. But, reading his story, the blessing didn't do anything. It was generic. His friend helped him find his wife.

http://www.ldsliving.com/How-a-Blessing-from-an-Apostle-Helped-Steve-Young-Finally-Find-His-Wife/s/82997

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 15, 2016 10:10AM

Is Steve possibly gay? Always wondered if he was living a life in he closet. Maybe he was just shy and/or really picky.

Date: November 15, 2016 10:16AM

I don't know if he is gay, I doubt it. But I think it is interesting that his wife has a gay brother, whom she adores. She is an outspoken gay advocate.

Posted by: edzachery ( )
Date: November 15, 2016 11:44AM

LDS Living magazine must be desperate for something to write about...this all happened 16 years ago! WTF??

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 15, 2016 12:35PM

I had no idea he's been married a while. I don't even know what he looks like anymore. Mormons, football, and Mormon football just don't do it for me.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: November 15, 2016 11:59AM

Well, isn't this nice! Just for the record, my BYU professor refused to excuse me from class the day I got married in the temple. It was summer term, and that was her prerogative. I asked her at the beginning of the term if I could be excused for the day as I was getting married. She told me to reschedule the date as she was going To give a test that day and wouldn't allow me to make it up (the wedding date has been arranged months in advance).

No, I didn't reschedule the wedding, I missed the test, and took a lower grade in the class. I'm sure Steve's law professors cut him slack that they wouldn't for other students who weren't superstar Super Bowl winners.

As always, Mormonism shows favoritism for its high profile members.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: November 15, 2016 02:40PM

As marriage in Mormonism is so all-important you'd think that would be a great reason to miss a little test. That instructor must not have been with the program!

I'm glad you got your priorities right and put your future wife first. :)

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 15, 2016 12:41PM

Only one?
His ancestor would be disappointed...

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: November 15, 2016 02:39PM

Thanks for the good laugh.

Although the whole thing is very sad, JS et al I mean.

Where would we all be if not for JS? Not on RfM, for one!

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: November 15, 2016 04:16PM

That's a sobering thought...

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: November 15, 2016 12:44PM

True story: in the middle of a game, a ref' mentioned his BYU daughter to Steve Young!

http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2016/10/03/steve-young-nfl-official-autobiography-referee-daughter-date

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: November 15, 2016 02:44PM

I had a good friend who had a personal revelation that Steve Young was her "eternal companion." When his team played here in town, she camped out in the lobby of his hotel. I don't think he ever even made eye contact with her...and I'm pretty sure he didn't ask her to marry him in the Temple either.

;o)

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 15, 2016 03:15PM

..and they were both working on Sunday.
Oops.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: November 15, 2016 02:46PM

He was in his early 30s when he got married.
Are we really expected to believe he never masturbated or had other outlets?

Get real.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: November 15, 2016 03:19PM

He only masturbated on Sundays.

Posted by: AZCrazy ( )
Date: November 16, 2016 02:29AM

I know Steve and Barb through a close family relative, both really good people overall.

However, Steve is a guy who really goes by the beat of his own drum. He's a TBM to a point. Remember, he brushed off going on a mission to sign a $40 million dollar contact with the now defunct USFL. (after all who wouldn't??!!) However the "TBM" thing to do would have been to forgo Satan's temptation of worldly riches and go serve the Lord on a mission. ...Steve went for the cash.

Anyway, Barb was not a member when they met. She was model and like my relative was bit wild in her younger days. According to my relative they both chased and caught quite a few guys around Scottsdale-Tempe area together in the late 1980's and early 90's...it's safe to say she (along with my relative) were not virgins when they got married. According to my relative (who remains one of her best friends even today) Barb set her sights on Steve as a "Big Catch" and joined the Church as a condition of marriage and not because she has a testimony. She takes the Church with a grain of salt.

She does in fact have a brother who is gay and they are very close. Barb has heavily persuaded Steve on the issues of gay rights and prop 8, much to the dismay of his side of the family.

The LDS living article is typical LDS whitewash and they have no real clue as to the real history or situation...if they only knew!

Posted by: sb ( )
Date: November 16, 2016 05:03PM

I know without a shadow of a doubt that his little brother is not gay, as when he was in my ward in Provo, he was usually between 2nd and 3rd base in sacrament meeting.

Date: November 16, 2016 05:10PM

not his brother, her's

Posted by: Strength in the Loins ( )
Date: November 16, 2016 07:22PM

I've wondered about guys like Steve Young. I find it impossible to believe that he "waited" until he was in his 30s. Especially when you know that he could have nailed 75% of the women at BYU with no commitment whatsoever. And hell, if I could get all the puzzy I wanted, and my priesthood leaders just kind of laughed it off, I don't think that I'd be in any hurry to settle down either.

It really isn't my business nor anybody else's either. The only reason I give a shit is because it bugs me when people in the Mormon world are held up as some shinging example of what you should be, when in reality, there is almost always more to the story than you are ever told.

Mormonism plagues people's psyche's with messages of how you are never good enough. It tells you that if you only work hard enough or exercise enough faith, that you too can do amazing things. That was kind of Paul H. Dunn's whole schtick. He was full of shit too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2016 07:31PM by Strength in the Loins.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.