Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: M.Breckenridge ( )
Date: November 04, 2016 02:09PM

Beautiful and powerful. GO TYLER!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: November 04, 2016 02:09PM

Posted by: exsoeurorleans ( )
Date: November 04, 2016 02:12PM

and how in the world did we not ever think that was weird???

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 04, 2016 03:25PM

Terrific and appropriate act of public defiance.
TBMs must hate this...

Posted by: dejavue ( )
Date: November 04, 2016 03:44PM

But...But... Garments should NEVER touch the floor! Tyler really knows how to plunge it in and twist.

Turns my stomach that I ever bought into this nonsense.

Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: November 04, 2016 03:49PM

Now that's gonna put a stain on some FP + Q12 G's...

Or so it seems to me...

Posted by: enemyofthechurch ( )
Date: November 04, 2016 03:56PM

Way to go Tyler... stick it to those fucking lying bastards. As the French say: Vive la Révolution!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2016 06:40PM by Maude.

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: November 04, 2016 04:16PM

That is one pissed off dude.

Posted by: evergreen ( )
Date: November 04, 2016 06:29PM

wow. Powerful song and images. People who have never experienced the cult could never grasp the depth of symbolism, emotion and mystique with the garments and the cathartic effect tearing them off our bodies and throwing them down. Yah Tyler!

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: November 04, 2016 06:41PM

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: November 05, 2016 03:56AM

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: November 05, 2016 02:58PM

I'm sure. It was just the idea of the mo-wear. I have no idea what the video looks like.

It was just a feeble joke on my part.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 04, 2016 07:16PM

I'd never heard of the guy before his new album and the Dehlin interview. His music is not my style. But there are a few things about him and his music that I think are really impressive.

One is the complete reversal in his attitude towards the church. The Q15 and a lot of TBMs have always refused to see, or at least acknowledge, that their attitude towards LGTBQ is not one of abstract doctrine or conventional notions of marriage but rather of life and death. The church is killing a lot of people and inducing mental illness and crippling family stress on countless others. There really is no middle ground here; this isn't something that can be fixed by "adjusting" the policy. I respect how radically and decisively Glenn acted when confronted by that barbarity.

Another is the stupidity of the Q15 regarding public affairs. They always liked the Osmonds and other performers and politicians who brought favorable attention to the faith. But they seem to have underestimated the extent to which famous Mormons members could damage the church through the same media. I seriously doubt that any of the 15 had ever heard of Glenn let alone imagined how powerful he would be as an adversary.

Finally, having now gone back and listened to a fair bit of Glenn's music, I think his conflict with the church has made him a much better artist. I guess sometimes it goes like that. A person goes along, reasonably successful at his career but without showing--perhaps even realizing--what he is truly capable of. Then something happens that awakens something deep in his soul and the new passion invigorates his work. This Midnight in particular strikes me as a powerful song: the recognition that the God of Sunday is not the God of Midnight, that the church got in the way; the shocking yet tasteful way in which he strips himself of the garments; the passion of his delivery.

The church can't afford to alienate such people. He is a formidable enemy and a truly honorable man.

Posted by: Ivanova ( )
Date: November 05, 2016 01:28AM

Wow, have to say, great song, powerful song! Buying the song as I type, believe he will be a force to be reckoned with, now and in the future. At first glance/hearing, not knowing his background, it just sounds like a song concerning religion and/or God. Knowing that he's former Mormon and watching the video, I can see the passion of his delivery. I couldn't put any better than Lot's Wife did, agree completely with her. I feel that he may be putting voice to what others haven't put words to yet.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 05, 2016 01:36AM

Yes, he certainly did that for me. Voice, and gestures, and darkness embodying emotions I feel and yet could not express so powerfully.

He is indeed a force.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.