Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: October 26, 2016 07:39PM

I just saw this article about the speaking styles of politicians, measuring statistically whether they are more feminine or masculine in nature.

(The article is about politicians but is not about politics per se.)

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/10/trump-feminine-speaking-style-214391

These statistical methods are similar to those used to determine the authorship of various portions of the Book of Mormon. This leads me to wonder what a similar study would show about LDS general authorities. We have troves of data on each one from published talks, albeit with the effects of editors and ghostwriters. These methods might work better for earlier church leaders, before correlation and massive editing were common.

And it further leads me to wonder whether such studies can be correlated with sexual orientation, due to prenatal masculinization or feminization of the brain. Could we use statistical methods to discover which of the apostles are closeted gays? Such methods are certainly not foolproof, but it would be fun to see what the stats show. Perhaps we could find another nail in the coffin of Spencer Kimball's heterosexuality.

This post brought to you by Big Data™. Aren't numbers fun?

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.