Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 26, 2016 02:33PM

Mom was a proud Scottish Presbytarian when she met Dad in 1936. They were married on Dec. 21, 1939. She was such a sweet lady and a great mom to my little brother and I. She was baptized in 1959. She was a bit more strident in her beliefs (as converts are wont to be) but she let my brother and I live our lives as we chose. She loved my Catholic wife as a daughter and doted on her nevermo grandchildren. She is still missed by her family and all that loved her. So glad I had a wonderful relationship with her.

RB

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: October 26, 2016 03:16PM

Cheers to a wonderful mother! Some people are too genuinely good to be ruined even by the cult, and it sounds as though your mom was one of such people.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2016 03:16PM by scmd.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: October 26, 2016 07:33PM

she sounds like a wonderful mother and you sound like a
wonderful son.

Good mom's don't get enough credit for their kind and sweet influence for good in their children's lives.

I bet she really appreciated you.

Posted by: looking in ( )
Date: October 26, 2016 07:39PM

That was a really nice tribute to your mom Ron, thanks so much for sharing it.
My mom died a month before yours, and I still dream about her - spending time together, having conversations, really ordinary things. I find it tremendously comforting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2016 07:40PM by looking in.

Date: October 26, 2016 07:53PM

Kinda wish I had her in my dreams. Hasn't happened yet. Dad has made a few appearances. He passed 4 years after Mom. There has been a post on FB that poses the question "who would you if you could, bring back for one more day?" Instead of saying Mom and Dad or my baby sister, I always answer that I couldn't bear to say goodbye to them again. I don't think my heart could handle it.
I was closer to my Dad than I was to my Mom and after he passed away in 2000 a close friend told me at his funeral that the responsobility to assume the mantle of patriarch of the family was now on my shoulders. I don't know if I'm fully comfortable with that yet.

RB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2016 07:55PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: October 26, 2016 08:33PM

Lethbridge Reprobate Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I was closer to my Dad than I was to my Mom and
> after he passed away in 2000 a close friend told
> me at his funeral that the responsobility to
> assume the mantle of patriarch of the family was
> now on my shoulders. I don't know if I'm fully
> comfortable with that yet.
>
> RB

Whatever it's supposed to mean, I'm sure that you're doing it just fine, and far better than you would be doing if you were constrained by any cult.

Date: October 27, 2016 12:25AM

It got more interesting after I found my birth family last year (of which I wrote about on this site) and found I had more siblings of which I'm the oldest.

RB

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: October 26, 2016 07:46PM

LR

My mother is still living but becoming more feeble month by month. I see her every day at the skilled care facility where she now lives. I bring her extra food and such because she was such a great cook and finds it difficult to eat the institutional version of food they serve. Lots of people resent me coming so often because most kids don't dote on their parents the way I do. But Mom deserves it. She is a really great mother.

My mother converted about age 45 and was a Presbyterian as well. She and my father, who eventually admitted being agnostic, were married in the local Presbyterian church. There are plaques that memorialize the lives of several of my ancestors at this church.

Mom doesn't mind at all that I left LDS, Inc. because she now knows the things I've told her are true. She won't resign because she doesn't want to lose her friends. Funny to think that at her age, 90, they would abandon her but she and I both know they would.

I'm absolutely dreading the day I lose my mother. She's my best friend and the only person, aside from those here, that I can talk to about just about everything. I think I know how you are feeling.

Cheers to your mother!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 26, 2016 07:50PM

Mine has "only been gone" 8 years, but it seems as though it was yesterday. The death of our mothers is a difficult anniversary.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 26, 2016 08:14PM

Mine will have been gone for 16 years this November.

She went barely two months after my dad did, in 2000, both unexpectedly.

In Judaism it's customary to honor the anniversaries of our parents passing away, like we do birthdays and other anniversaries like marriage. It helps us stay connected to our past in ways that matter by giving honor to their memory.

It's even customary to set a place at the family table for the departed one to honor the empty place left in the heart.

Posted by: Gravedigger ( )
Date: October 26, 2016 10:41PM

To quote your charitable statement from another thread:

"I think a Sunday meet up and public pissing on her grave may be interested order."

We all know from this BB of course just how much more kind and spiritual atheists and other non believers are.

How does it feel to have someone talk about your family that way? You must be truly a profound thinker.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.