Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 25, 2016 10:10PM

In talking with a coworker the other day about how utterly falsifiable Mormonism was I realized it had been years since I had doubted my doubts.

It was a pretty big deal for me personally.

The evidence is overwhelming in the case against Mormonism but it took me years to have it finally sink in for good I hope. It has been a few years since I've Dietered even a little bit.

The Book of Mormon doesn't even hold sway in my heart of hearts as a book of nice myths but I've seen it clearly for what it is now for years.

It is a gilded gross aggrandizement of self-righteous zealotry and a Christianification of an Old Testament-like religious fervor. And to top it off I don't even care if Joseph Smith was the pious salesman of other people's religious fantasies. He was a conman, a fraud, and one who used other people for his own twisted sense of hypocritical fanaticism. Nothing about that to believe in.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: October 25, 2016 10:17PM

Oh, and another epiphany I had in this conversation ws that Mormon temple marriage is a setup for failure by design in one partner stops believing.

I have a unicorn Mormon marriage. Our love for each other has currently and for the foreseeable future overcome this fatal inherent flaw in Mormon temple marriage.

What is the flaw? Well, if one partner stops keeping the covenant called "The Law of The Gospel" then their Mormon sealing is broken and in the eyes of the Mormon god, the couple is barely married civilly. They are left with their love, their government contract, and their time together until their deaths.

For us this is enough.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: October 25, 2016 10:30PM

Elder Berry wrote, "For us this is enough."

Slowly but surely I am convincing my sweet wife of this exquisite fact.

Date: October 26, 2016 10:39PM

I'm rooting for you.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 25, 2016 10:57PM

My experience is that time is on your side. The more time I put between me and the LDS Church, the better it got.
Fortunately, my husband was able to accept my changes. Too awhile but he found a way to understand, on his level. He knew I was a convert, knew some of my family so he was was able to adjust better than some.
Whatever the changes, and there are going to be many in a long marriage, the fact that neither give up on each other is a huge plus.

Date: October 26, 2016 10:42PM

SusieQ#1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Whatever the changes, and there are going to be
> many in a long marriage, the fact that neither
> give up on each other is a huge plus.

This is so true. We make constant adjustments to what each other is going through at the time. The constant in these adjustments is not giving up.

You and I know how much tolerance through love we've had to endure and how much our spouses have.

I have to admit knowing that my wife loves me in spite of my 180 in the realm of religion is huge for me.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: October 26, 2016 03:03AM

The LDS poop sandwich hath lost its savor. It's funny how I couldn't smell them when I was eating them.

Date: October 26, 2016 10:44PM

With all the facts on the altar, the temple crumbles to the ground as a house of cads (/kad/ noun 1. a man who behaves dishonorably, especially toward a woman.)

Posted by: brianberkeley ( )
Date: October 26, 2016 11:53PM

You forgot to mention the mind numbing meetings, tedium, awful music, and the depressing ambiance...

Date: October 29, 2016 04:40PM

Cheerios become cheerless Os in a Mormon meeting.

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: October 29, 2016 06:06PM

Without the traditional wedding vow "for better or worse", the temple sealing has a built in escape hatch for situations where one spouse stops believing.

There have been several times that vow has saved my marriage/

Date: October 29, 2016 06:50PM

So very very very ye verily true.

Mormons whose spouse stops believing, love/stay with them despite their vows. This literally is a loyalty test for Mormons. Joseph Smith tested Heber Kimball asking him to give him Heber's wife and that is supposedly faith promoting, but no "apostle of the lord" is getting up in conference and attesting to the faithfulness of Mormons with unbelieving/resigned temple sealed spouses. If they have, and I could be wrong, I would like to read that talk.

The best I could find was the "Look for the Tender Mercies" crap and not one general conference talk mentioned.

http://www.ldsliving.com/When-a-Spouse-Loses-Their-Faith/s/80963

The best approved source of information on this topic I could find from LDS.org was this 1988 article.

https://www.lds.org/ensign/1988/07/partners-in-everything-but-the-church?lang=eng

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2016 06:51PM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: October 29, 2016 07:07PM

Elder, there have been studies of long-term marriages that have revealed that most have irreconcilable difference between spouses. Marriages that survive the unresolvable differences have committed that the marriage relationship is superior to the differences. I think that that's what you've got with your wife.

I hope that someday I may also have a marriage that transcends differences for something stronger and better. Very best wishes!!

Date: October 30, 2016 11:39AM

Thanks. I just read about Ed Gein (inspiration for Norman Bates) and how his mother had only contempt for his father fueled much by her religious beliefs. They didn't divorce because of those beliefs.

It sent chills down my spine because my mother has contempt for my father for not living up to her standards in her beliefs. I think it also has to do with her being a crazy person as well. She has hen pecked him as long as I have known them. They should have divorced but stay together because of their religious beliefs.

I'm glad I have the complete opposite. We are together despite our religious beliefs. If our marriage fails, a big part of that will be because of those beliefs or lack of them on my part.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2016 11:39AM by Elder Berry.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.