Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anon12345 ( )
Date: October 25, 2016 03:23PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: October 25, 2016 03:24PM

Anon12345 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> n/t

Link, please???

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: October 25, 2016 06:14PM

Here's MSN on it.

‘Mormon and Gay’? The church’s new message is that you can be both.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/%E2%80%98mormon-and-gay%E2%80%99-the-church%E2%80%99s-new-message-is-that-you-can-be-both/ar-AAjo0gk

Posted by: Anonagain ( )
Date: October 26, 2016 10:04AM

The article is BULLSHIT. a gay ex-mormon friend of mine posted this response:

I've been asked to write out exactly why the new Mormon Church's stance isn't being readily accepted by the gay Mormon community as it seems it should be. I'm a gay exmormon, but for many years I participated in Evergreen, the Mormon Church's "conversion therapy" program. I left the church for various reasons, more than just the fact that I was unable to be gay as a Mormon. I actually know many people who would go back to the church if they would accept homosexuals, and perhaps you're now thinking with this new "stance" on gay people, they might return. Here's why they won't:

The need to have a fully actualized relationship that includes, affection, touch, and sexual expression is necessary to a human's core being. The reason a human desires to BE in a domestic loving relationship in the first place is because they feel a necessity to share closely every aspect of their lives, including touch and feel, which are necessary for a close domestic relationship. One cannot have a fully engaged relationship without touch, feel, affection, and sexual expression.

I don't perceive my own expression towards my husband now to be sinful any more than I felt love for my wife was for 16 years before I found him. I come from a place where I actually can compare the two. And during those 16 years as a married, perceived heterosexual I didn't understand how any previous love expression of mine towards any man was sinful any more than you do as a heterosexual.

And really, as a heterosexual, you've never had to even think about it. Because heterosexuality has never been deemed sinful in your life, you simply have always had the freedom to express yourself through touch, feel, affection, and sexual expression with anyone of the opposite sex. You've only had to stop yourself from full sexual realization until you were married, assuming you were actually able to do that. In other words, your sexual orientation was never in play as a possible threat to God, only your possible breach of sexual activity outside of marriage.

If your own desire for women/men was deemed a sin, you might begin to empathize with what it's like to be gay. Without telling yourself the story as to why gays are wrong per God's command to multiply and replenish the earth, imagine for just a moment if your desire right now inside you for women/men was sinful. Not just sinful outside of marriage, but sinful all the time, every minute of your life. Imagine that your deep core gender attraction itself was deemed an abomination.

Let's take this empathy exercise even further: Imagine for a moment that you were told that God only saw homosexual relationships as righteous and worthy. I know, it's hard, just try it for a moment. You wanted to please God, your parents, everyone around you. And you were told you could change your sexual orientation to be homosexual even though you're skeptical and know somehow that it might be impossible. But you know to be saved and to follow God's Plan, you must. And so you launch in to trying to like women/men with a reverent, God-centered mission. You even marry a person of the same sex and everything, but deep down you know you're kidding yourself and you start to want a person of the opposite sex, because let's face it, you're wired that way.

OK, back to your own life. That is never going to be your fight, but would you compare that empathy exercise of being attracted to the wrong gender the same as being addicted to drugs or alcohol? No, of course not, because love isn't a substance like drugs or alcohol. Your sexual attractions are hard-wired and you cannot change that.

Up until a few days ago, the Mormon Church told you that you were NOT born that way. That you were choosing somehow to be homosexual/heterosexual. But look now! The church is saying that you ARE born that way! Woah! That seems like a big change! That seems like it might be the answer to a lot of frustration and angst! So if you are a gay Mormon and you're now born that way, what changes for you?

Besides now being on the side of Lady Gaga, nothing changes for you. But wait! Why not? You were just told that you were born that way! That's freaking awesome, isn't it??? Well, lets examine it a bit closer:

So even IF you're born gay, the church still believes that ACTING on your core, born-with sexual orientation is still sinful. That hasn't changed. So if that hasn't changed, what has? Nothing has changed. You see, telling gay people they're born that way and still maintaining that homosexuality is sinful as an action hasn't changed at all.

Gay Mormons weren't waiting to be told they were born that way, gay Mormons were waiting to be told they're just as in un-sinful, valid, and valuable in God's eyes as heterosexuals are, even if they can't multiply and replenish the earth. You see, your sexual attraction to women/men was never about having babies in the first place, it was about being able to freely touch, feel, express, and fully sexualize your domestic relationship with your chosen partner. That whole "having babies" thing is superfluous to love, to loving the way you need it.

And so sadly, the new website, the new big change really isn't any change at all. When Lady Gaga sings about being born that way, she then goes on to sing about loving that way, too. She's trying to explain that being gay is the same as eye color, you can't change your eye color any faster than you can change your sexual orientation. As a matter of fact, you can't.

And so gay Mormons are just as stuck as they were before. The new big change is just a tragic sadness. It's a façade. It's a new smile on the same old doctrine of pain and suffering. Can gay Mormons now go to church and hold hands with their domestic partners, their husbands, wives, and loving spouses? Can they hold them, kiss them, express to them how much they love them like all the other heterosexual couples God loves unconditionally? No.

As a matter of fact, IF a gay Mormon, whom are all now born that way according to Mormon leadership, actually try to love their partners, dates, spouses like those same Mormon leaders do, they'll be sinning. And not just sin because they're doing it outside of marriage, but because they can NEVER touch, feel, show affection, or have any sexual contact with them ever. Ever as in forever.

And not only that, but the Mormon Church believes that homosexuals will be corrected as part of the resurrection process to become a perfect heterosexual person. So what they're really telling you is to never have a relationship at all because you cannot ever love them eternally, even if you feel like you love someone that strongly. Even if you feel in love, a love as strongly as those Mormon leaders love their spouses.

Because IF you remain a celibate gay Mormon in love in this life with the person you wish to eternally love, your core being will be changed to heterosexual and you will not be able to love them anyway because they still believe homosexuality is a sinful abomination that must be changed.

You are born doomed. Forever doomed now that you're born that way. You see? Nothing has changed at all. Gay Mormons are just as doomed now as they were before this latest big change that hasn't changed a thing."

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 26, 2016 10:10AM

I didn't even check out the new web page. Nothing to see here folks.

I agree with this whole statement. Doomed is a good term, too. What a great way to live your life--doomed.

Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: October 26, 2016 10:53AM

Thank you, Anonagain, for expressing so clearly and eloquently that nothing has changed. They are just saying the same thing in a nicer tone of voice.

Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: October 26, 2016 12:29PM

“There is no change in the Church’s position of what is morally right,” Elder Dallin H. Oaks

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.