Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: October 25, 2016 02:58PM

I'm particularly intrigued with Jehovah's Witnesses and their style of worship and their way of being. They're an odd bunch and am glad that I was raised mormon and not JW. I follow some of their pages on Facebook for fun, and just so I can learn them from the inside.

I saw a post today in particular on a JW Facebook page that stated the following:

IM FINDING OUT
THERES ALOT ON HERE WHO ARE
DISFELLOWSHIPPED
IF YOU ARE DF, YOU ARE MAKING US
DISOBEY JEHOVAH
SHAME ON YOU

Often times I just laugh off their posts because I see how ridiculous they are. But this one bugged me.

I'm ex-mormon, not ex JW, so I'm not one of the DF'd JW's they speak of. But I'm very tempted to make some kind of statement.

Ideas?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2016 02:58PM by Mormoney.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: exJWlurking ( )
Date: October 25, 2016 03:06PM

First off, the JW that posted that message is a moron because they are directly in violation to what their org tells them to do, which is to stay the F*ck off the internet.

Second, they are afraid that by associating with those that have been kicked out, they will be kicked out themselves, which technically could happen unless they "repent". Which duh, they will.

Posted by: exJWlurking ( )
Date: October 25, 2016 03:14PM

Btw dude...pot calling the kettle black. I watched some ex mormon videos and u guys went thru some weird ass shit...WOW

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: October 25, 2016 05:31PM

But it's kinda like comparing a nutty grandpa with a loony grandma I suppose.

We were accosted by a pair a couple of weeks ago. Only the Australian one was speaking to us, presumably to charm us with his accent, asking us questions about the bible, Jehovah, all that. He turned to me and asked what I thought about that, I looked him dead in the eye and replied, "I think you're talking to the wrong people."

Posted by: Princess Telestia ( )
Date: October 25, 2016 03:19PM

Ugh...this is why I stay away from religion usually and try to not answer the door when JWs are there. I've developed a fear of them, they won't go away even after every excuse (nice and mean) I throw at them.

Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: October 25, 2016 03:20PM

JW's are really quite odd. I've had a bit of a fascination with them recently, since I walked over the Brooklyn Bridge recently with the watchtower creepily sitting there on the brooklyn side. JW's are really quite unique and the brainwashing runs very deep. It's really quite sad. Based on what I've seen with ex-JW's, you guys go through a lot worse than us exmormons do.

Posted by: Nevermo4 ( )
Date: October 25, 2016 03:34PM

Have you ever checked out their videos online?

Absolutely nuts.
They don't even try and hide the fact that they advise against having friends outside of the group!

https://www.jw.org/en/publications/videos/#mediaitems/TeenMovies/pub-ivfe_E_1_VIDEO

If you are tempted to say something you could say something along the lines of 'Hi there,I am neither one of Jehovah's witnesses nor disfellowshipped but I am ex-Mormon.Both of our religions have more in common than you will ever know,including avoiding those no longer members of 'the group'.It is so sad to see families and friendships dissolved due to man-made rules.Did Jesus himself not say 'Let he who is without sin cast the first stone?Maybe you should consider also this verse:'Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, “Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother who sins against me? Up to seven times?” Jesus answered, “I tell you, not just seven times, but seventy-seven times!'.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: October 25, 2016 03:34PM

It seems to me that the lack of education really stunts them and holds them down. Same with the Amish. It's pretty difficult to make it in this modern world if you can barely read, write, add, and know next to nothing about technology.

Posted by: p ( )
Date: October 25, 2016 03:53PM

Mormoney wrote on "JW's and Friends":

"JW's are really quite unique and the brainwashing runs very deep. It's really quite sad. Based on what I've seen with ex-JW's, you guys go through a lot worse than us exmormons do".

This is my experience also. Now, they are only required to walk down a street (in our area, anyway), they don't have to go up and knock at doors to fulfill their proselyting work (which is supposed to take them considerable time!).

(BTW: something can't be "quite" unique, as "unique" stands by its self...something I learned the hard way.)

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: October 25, 2016 04:45PM

One of my best buds is ex JW. Smart dude with quite a knowledge of the scriptures and some of the errors which make it difficult on the B of M end. He's now agnostic but welcomes a good conversation about religion. He's not so critical of the JW's and you'd be surprised at how similar they are to the Mormons culturally. He's also got a number of past relatives who were Mormons.

Posted by: JVN087 ( )
Date: October 25, 2016 04:59PM

I have found that I can tell JWs if I ask "Hows was your HOLIDAY/BIRTHDAY" and the answer is " It's just another day"

I made the mistake of telling a client in the office I was working i "Merry Christmas" on Xmas eve... next time she came in I had a Watchtower.

Posted by: Princess Telestia ( )
Date: October 25, 2016 05:33PM

Question why can't they celebrate birthdays? Personally I love my birthday March 24th because it's near the spring equinox and spring's my favorite season. I love the rainy, windy cloudy days of early spring.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: October 26, 2016 09:56AM

Because there are only two birthday celebrations in the bible and both ended in bloody violence and death. Seriously. I can't quite make the logic leap from "bible stories" to "how I live my daily life" but there you have it. I'm not sure what the lesson from those stories is supposed to be, but I have the notion that celebrating birthdays or not is incidental.

Posted by: TXRancher ( )
Date: October 26, 2016 11:53AM

Yes, that's how I understand it. But I also know that they _used to_ celebrate these things....old copies of the Watchtower had articles about how church publications "make great gifts" during Christmas and birthdays, lol.

Posted by: JVN087 ( )
Date: October 26, 2016 11:50AM

Uh-Oh

Do I detect some pagan influence? Celebrating the equinox and all

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.