Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 25, 2016 09:10AM

Which may help explain how Joseph Smith became an established, professional liar and con man. One lie led to another, and for him it just built on the foundation starting in his youth of breaking the law to forge a way in the world.

"Scientists can now explain why lying begets more lying — it has to do with how the brain reacts to fibs.

Once a liar, always a liar, the old saying goes. Turns out there’s some scientific truth to that: researchers have tracked down how the brain makes lying easier as the untruths build up, providing some biological evidence for why small lies often balloon into ever larger ones....

They found that when people were dishonest, activity in a part of the brain called the amygdala—the hub of emotional processing and arousal—changed. With each scenario, the more dishonestly the participant advised his partner, the less activated the amygdala was on the fMRI. That may be because lying triggers emotional arousal and activates the amygdala, but with each additional lie, the arousal and conflict of telling an untruth diminishes, making it easier to lie.

Sharot also found that the amygdala became less active mostly when people lied to benefit themselves. In other words, self-interest seems to fuel dishonesty.

“Part of the emotional arousal we see when people lie is because of the conflict between how people see themselves and their actions,” Sharot said during a briefing discussing the results. “So I lie for self-benefit, but at the same time it doesn’t fit the way I want to view myself, which is as an honest person. It’s possible that we learn from the arousal signal…with less emotional arousal, perhaps I’m less likely to see the act as incongruent with my own self perception.”

The researchers were even able to map out how each lie led to less amygdala activation and found that the decrease could predict how much the person’s dishonesty would escalate in the next trial. Biology seems to back up the warnings parents give to their kids: that one lie just leads to another."

http://time.com/4540707/lying-lies-brain/?xid=newsletter-brief

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2016 09:22AM by Amyjo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: notaliar ( )
Date: October 25, 2016 09:34AM

I must be mentally challenged in some manner. I am horrible at lying. The only lie I seem to "get away with" is the one I tell myself about it making me "morally superior." As evidenced by the statement, even that is difficult for me.

I am not "morally superior." Based on experience, I am not smart enough to either remember my lies, build upon or support those lies, or, pretend well enough to make the lies believable. Worse, this blindness was hard to overcome in "seeing" the lies of others. It had to become a study.

Now, I see lies and disjointed stories everywhere. I have to make allowances for mistakes, translation and memory. When bold enough to question an inconsistancy for my own understanding of the matter, it can cause alienation of any budding affection. They don't like being called out, and I don't like being "lied" to.

See? Mentally deficient. Impediment to human relationships. Weird. Keeping my mouth shut is my biggest social "lie," but very oppressive to me. Weird.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 25, 2016 09:40AM

I don't think you're mentally challenged. I'm the same way. My wife teases me regularly, 'cause I can't even "hide" birthday presents and surprises, she says I'm a terrible liar. I could never be a salesman for anything -- even a wonderful, terrific product -- because I just can't even do little white lies convincingly.

I'm OK with that :)

Date: October 25, 2016 10:11AM

This may help to explain why some people in positions of leadership and power become corrupted by the process. They didn't start out liars. By the time they attain positions of power and influence, for the many who've engaged in much manipulation and BS to get there, they become adept at it.

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul.

Learn as much by writing as by reading.

Liberty is not a means to a higher political end. It is itself the highest political end.

The issue which has swept down the centuries and which will have to be fought sooner or later is the people versus the banks.

The danger is not that a particular class is unfit to govern. Every class is unfit to govern.

Every thing secret degenerates, even the administration of justice; nothing is safe that does not show how it can bear discussion and publicity.

The most certain test by which we judge whether a country is really free is the amount of security enjoyed by minorities.

To be able to look back upon one's past life with satisfaction is to live twice.

Liberty is not the power of doing what we like, but the right to do what we ought."

~ John Dalberg-Acton, 1st Baron Acton

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 25, 2016 10:45AM

Your link in the top post is just begging for application to politics.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." (John Adams)

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/j/johnadams391045.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2016 10:46AM by caffiend.

Date: October 25, 2016 10:48AM

Better to keep the focus on Joe for Joe's sake.

Though couldn't agree more. :))

See the quote above by John Dalberg-Acton. He lived more than 100 years ago, yet his wisdom is [better than] "Pearls of Great Price."

;))

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2016 10:49AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 25, 2016 11:17AM

caffiend Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Your link in the top post is just begging for
> application to politics.
>
> "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and
> religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the
> government of any other." (John Adams)

And yet...

“The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.”

– John Adams

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: October 26, 2016 08:18AM

Good reason to have another Samuel Adams.

Date: October 26, 2016 03:23AM

John Adams also said this about religion and virtue:

"Suppose a nation in some distant region should take the Bible for their only law book, and every member should regulate his conduct by the precepts there exhibited! Every member would be obliged in conscience, to temperance, frugality, and industry; to justice, kindness, and charity towards his fellow men; and to piety, love and reverence toward Almighty God...What a Utopia, what a Paradise would this region be." ~ John Adams

"Statesmen, my dear Sir, may plan and speculate for Liberty, but it is Religion and Morality alone, which can establish the Principles upon which Freedom can securely stand. ~ John Adams . . .

The only foundation of a free Constitution is pure Virtue, and if this cannot be inspired into our People, in a great Measure than they have it now, they may change their Rulers, and the forms of Government, but they will not obtain a lasting Liberty." ~ John Adams' letter to Zabdiel Adams on June 21, 1776.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.