Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: coConfused ( )
Date: October 22, 2016 06:44AM

So I've seen this quote used a lot against us kids. I have looked up the scriptures and I still don't get it. I really don't get how its offensive. I was hoping to find something that clarified. Like the scripture might say that it applies to teasing or lacking reverence in church. But, it just seems to apply as a general attitude. I really dont' see the problem.

Quote: "But uncontrolled loud laughter or excessive frivolity are offensive to God" (D&C 88:69).

“Be cautious with humor. Loud, inappropriate laughter will offend the Spirit. A good sense of humor helps revelation; loud laughter does not. A sense of humor is an escape valve for the pressures of life.”Ensign, May 2012, 46.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: severedpuppetstrings ( )
Date: October 22, 2016 07:06AM

Well, that's a sin that I commented repeatedly during my years as a TBM (after my endowment too!). And it felt great!!

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 22, 2016 07:17AM

It was addressed and discussed[loud laughter] in the temple prep class that you were supposed to attend in order to get your TR. I had to use every bit of strength to control all the silly thoughts while being lectured about utmost reverence in the lords house. I often thought of placing a whoopee cushion on every chair. So childish, but it would've been damn funny!

Now it makes sense; given the absurdity of the entire endowment ceremony. They didn't want anyone laughing despite its ridiculousness.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2016 07:40AM by messygoop.

Posted by: quatermass2 ( )
Date: October 22, 2016 12:32PM

No "loud laughter"?

Why?

Don't think about why - just don't do it. Period. Just listen to the leaders when they issue edicts against it and obey. Unquestioningly.

It's another control mechanism held over the members.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: October 22, 2016 02:49PM

Loud laughter is associated with fun. If people discover fun, they may figure out that the LDS church is NOT fun. Fun is the enemy of the church. And fun & laughter are not to be tolerated in the mormon religion.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: October 22, 2016 05:02PM

It's good for your immune system.

Seriously.

Nuts to the church.

Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: October 22, 2016 06:48PM

Yet another absurd 'rule'. Oh, and my TBM sister laughs louder and more obnoxiously than any other person I know!

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: October 22, 2016 07:37PM

OK--I'm not trying to go full Godmakers here, I promise, but...

I submit that Loud Laughter is actual joy--a manifestion of the spirit, so Mormons must stay as far away as possible.

Posted by: Honest TBM ( )
Date: October 23, 2016 09:17AM

Us easygoing Mormons get very uneasy whenever we see anyone engage in very grievous iniquities such as serial killing, drinking green tea, or engaging in laughter where the decibels are too high. I really don't need to analyze why these 3 acts are so grievous because the prophet does the thinking for us. But I do think that why people will occasionally laugh too loudly is because they put themselves in some situation where they are witnessing absurdities and weird stuff that are full of nonsense. I think one possible way to avoid this could be to go do a temple endowment session as we learn in church that Heavenly Father's special gift of the Endowment is quite normal and unweird.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 23, 2016 09:21AM

The church is afraid that people will laugh inside the temple. They can't have that!

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 23, 2016 12:59PM

I seem to remember there bring loud laughter at church in my formative years (1950's-60's). My dad and mom loved to laugh. It was NOT a sin. Fucking cult wants to control every goddamn thing. Sickening!

RB

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.