Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: newnamesaul ( )
Date: October 22, 2016 12:23AM

So question, I havent been harassed or anything by the church and I've been gone for almost a year and a half. It's kinda weird because I was super active but I was wondering if I should still resign or just keep doing what I'm doing? My concern is that if I try to resign that then the harassment will come.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 22, 2016 03:44AM

Sometimes resigning brings it on and other times it doesn't. I think it depends on the mindset and priorities of the locals in the ward where you live.

If harassment is the big concern for you, I suggest you leave well enough alone. Whenever they show up and bother you, you can send in a resignation and rebuff their visits.

The mormons ran us around while we were members, and now we can do whatever we want to do. Some exmos want an official separation paper from them, and others don't care.

Most but not all resigning exmos do receive at least one call or visit after a person has sent in their letter. Most of those who don't resign eventually get reactivation visits which tend to come in waves that ebb and flow over time.

Everyone who has resigned or not tends to get at least occasional missionary visits because missionaries think they have a better chance with former mormons than with disinterested nevermos.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 22, 2016 01:47PM

My recommendation is to do what's in your comfort zone.

If things are fine the way they are now and you see no need to resign, then why bother?

When I resigned I was being harassed and hounded by the local church laity including the bishop's wife who superceded any normal boundaries of human decency or civility.

My hands were forced. I felt I had to resign my membership in order to (literally) keep them from my doorstep and invading my home and driveway.

That much worked. If you need more space then resign. If your space is fine the way it is, it's really your call.

It also put me in charge of my membership, rather than leaving it to the whims of whoever is running the freak show of a Mormon church. I took back my power from them. It's a good feeling btw, owning that.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: October 22, 2016 01:49PM

The church always has you on a leash as long as you are a member. Generally speaking, if you've resigned or been excommunicated, you're off limits to the missionaries unless the mission president or stake president gives specific approval. If you stay a member and don't live by the church rules, they might excommunicate you any way. Take control of your life and resign. If you get harassed, the police and courts will be on your side.

Posted by: cytokine ( )
Date: October 22, 2016 01:59PM

Normally, resigning is how you *reduce* the harassment.

To reduce friction with my aged parents, and to amuse myself by identifying as an anti-Mormon Mormon, I remain on the rolls of the church. One consequence of remaining on the rolls is that Mormons of one kind or another show up at my door roughly every other month.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.