Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: alaskawild ( )
Date: October 21, 2016 09:49PM

I recently watched two mormon stories on youtube. I really thought these 2 parts about an amazing couple in Alaska were very enlightening and powerful. You should check them out and watch the full episodes. The Mormon church is absolutely a bully and all about control. If they don't like you becoming a free thinker and using your God given brain, then they will kick you out, quicker than you can say Adam ondi ohman!

https://youtu.be/qwmkxc_9kTY episode 657

https://youtu.be/YT8I7Od9SAs episode 664

Check em out and then comment.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Bruce A Holt ( )
Date: October 21, 2016 09:54PM

Watched them both. Near the end of the second one I was brought to tears. It struck me powerfully!

I highly recommend them!

Posted by: Emmabiteback ( )
Date: October 22, 2016 12:27AM

I agree, this is a great interview. Just impressive on many levels.

Posted by: dejavue ( )
Date: October 22, 2016 04:50PM

Best Saturday morning I have spent for a long time. Loved how they both were able to tie the whole thing up at the end. I am deeply moved by their love and sharing.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 22, 2016 05:29PM

I'm just starting to watch the first one. Thanks for sharing the link.

Like how Dehlin is able to bring these stories together.

Date: October 23, 2016 03:16PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2016 03:19PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: October 22, 2016 06:29PM

It amuses me that the church thinks that they can kick somebody out who's already gone. That's not possible.

I don't need the church's or anyone else's acknowledgement or confirmation that I'm gone. My status is not defined by someone else or by some organization. I know where I am.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows," like the Nobel laureate said...

Date: October 23, 2016 03:20PM

"People like us are not so much suffering from a faith crisis. So much as the church is suffering from a truth crisis."

"The church is sinking its own ship. We are just tossing out lifeboats."

~ notable quotes by Amy and Jake Malouf about their excommunication hearing October 9, 2016

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2016 06:53PM by Amyjo.

Date: October 23, 2016 06:52PM

"We understand this may feel like a very difficult and solemn matter. You have every legal right to do what you believe is necessary in regards to our status with the LDS church. However, we want you to understand very clearly that you do not have any moral authority over our lives. Nor can you take away anything that is real regarding our relationship with God, our commitment to truth, or our future progression. You might think you do. You might even think you know you do. But you don't. That said, we look forward to seeing you again."

~ part of statement read to court council Oct 9th

Posted by: Afraid of Mormons ( )
Date: October 23, 2016 07:17PM

Thank you, Alaskawild!

I listened to every word, non-stop.

This lovely couple really understands! (I feel less alone, now.)

I'm happy that their children left the cult with them. My children wanted to leave, too. Yes, they were definitely abused by the Mormons, physically, mentally, and emotionally. Since leaving the cult, we are so much more together, and we can talk about things.

We had one Mormon cousin commit suicide because he was gay, and another Mormon cousin kill herself at BYU, when her fiancee broke up with her, and she saw no chance of ever getting married in the temple or having children. We're not guessing--it was all in their suicide notes.

A agree with John Dehlin, that maybe the Moloufs might just save someone's life.

Amy is dealing better with her anger than I am. After 5 years out, I still don't think the Mormon adults who kicked my sons and tried to molest my little girl are "good people." No, my door is closed to Mormons and their missionaries.

Posted by: iris ( )
Date: October 25, 2016 02:48PM

Thank you, Jake & Amy Malouf! You were both able to articulate your experiences so clearly. My husband and I listened over the weekend. Good for you on many, many levels. IMO, two of the most powerful comments from Amy:

Let’s just look around the room here. Who’s in the room? A bunch of men and one woman. And the men in the room feel like they have authority over me. If it were switched and any one of you were the minority in this room, if you were the lone man in a group of women who you know those women believe they have authority over you, do you feel like you would be understood? Do you feel like your challenges and the things you’ve dealt with in your life would be understood, and that your voice would be heard, and that there would be empathy? Because I don’t think you would. I think you would feel outnumbered. And so let’s start with that. It’s just out of balance. And that’s a problem. Sexism within this church exists, and it has hurt me and it has hurt my family. Let me help you understand how I came to understand this, and I talked about going through the temple when I was 19 because I wanted further light and knowledge because that’s what I was told I would receive. What I received was the understanding that I will never be equal to my husband in power and authority, that I need to hearken unto my husband that I didn’t even have yet, and that right there, at 19 (years old) put distance between my future spouse that I hadn’t even met, and the church had harmed my marriage before it even started. And understanding that, 20 years later, finally having clarity on why that felt so wrong, but I had to submit anyway or choose to submit because there was really no good option out and I hadn’t wrapped my head around that, but having that clarity now, I’m able to verbalize it. But it took a long time to understand why it felt so wrong. Because it is wrong. Any degree of authority over any other human based on gender is unapologetic sexism. And that’s in our church and we have to admit that that’s there.

I want my Mormon friends in my life and I want my non-Mormon friends in my life. It really doesn’t matter. I’m not going to draw any lines in the sand about who’s on what side of the fence and what anyone believes. But if they can allow me my freedom, either way I’m happy to allow them theirs. Believe what you want. The only stipulation I would put on that is understand your religion. If you are going to live it, get to know the details, get to know the history, and go read the essays on the church website.

Date: October 25, 2016 03:07PM

I especially liked the line by Amy when she said, "We are not in apostasy. The church is in apostasy."

Ain't that the noblest truth?!

:D

Posted by: tomie ( )
Date: October 25, 2016 08:14PM

I watched both parts very good. I am happy they are both out along with their children. I don't think it's a church. I think it's a cult.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.