Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Madatldsinc ( )
Date: October 21, 2016 07:47PM

They keep showing up after being told to stay away and I want no contact. They keep calling the house. How in the world did they get my home address and phone number? I have moved multiple times and haven't attended in over 15 years.

This is a freaking cult who wont take no for an answer. No wonder BYU has such a rape culture. They don't understand the word NO. Well i have a surprise for them. I have the main harassers the VT AKA assigned friend and the bishop and stake pres names. I will be meeting with the local sheriff to put out restraining orders and eventually a lawsuit if this continues.

How do you deal with the constant calls and visits. Now they park near the house and drive off when i start filming them. People at work don't believe a church would do this. I agree a church won't but a cult does.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: October 21, 2016 07:53PM

Have you resigned your LDS membership?

If so, when? [provide year, or approximate period of time since you resigned, only]

If you have not resigned, why not?

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: October 21, 2016 07:53PM

You could resign your membership. It's an extreme measure for sensible folks, and it doesn't always do the trick, but it has worked for me and my two daughters.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: October 21, 2016 07:59PM

I agree, resigning worked for me, and they've left me alone even though there's a missionary apartment in the neighborhood.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 21, 2016 11:50PM

Resigning stop the pestering here too. 4 wonderful years of not being invited to every fucking ward function. Bliss.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: October 23, 2016 01:51PM

Resigning has worked for me too no more banana bread left at my door with an invitation to a relief society activity.

Date: October 21, 2016 08:00PM

I shouldn't have to resign from an organization i don't want to be involved with. I went 7 years without contact and now they hunt me down and harass me constantly. But i am sending off the resignation tomorrow am.

I wonder if when they pull up to my house and leave when i go out and film them are they gathering info to excommunicate me?

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 21, 2016 08:12PM

The cult stopped all contact with me after resigning my membership.

That's the best and *only* effective means I can think of besides changing your identity.

You don't even need to wait until tomorrow. There's an e-mail option you can use and send it off today.

It's here on RfM, the link that is.

Date: October 21, 2016 08:15PM

True. I will email them and also mail resignation directly to the stake president.

When you email do they send you a confirmation that they got it or do you just wait for the jesus letter?

Date: October 21, 2016 08:27PM

Save your postage to the SP, unless you want to give him an earful of the stalking Mormons.

When I resigned I bypassed the local ward/stake. I went straight through SLC. The stake tried to intervene and I told them I was dealing directly with headquarters (they were asshats where I live as well at the time.) They backed off once they realized I wasn't going to deal with them.

My understanding from reading this board is you'll get an e-mail message back. Not sure about the mail confirmation.

Others here can attest to that. I resigned prior to the e-mail option.

You'll be so glad once you've resigned. It at least gets them off your doorstep and the unannounced drop-ins.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2016 08:27PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: munchkin ( )
Date: October 21, 2016 08:40PM

When I resigned, I wanted to kill all the birds with one stone, so I sent an email to SLC, and cc'd my bishop and SP. In addition to the standard information in the email, I also stated that this notice was being sent to all involved parties and there was no need to refer it back to my local leaders. I just asked them to notify me when the resignation was complete.

I waited a couple of weeks and called Member Records. The guy that answered said the resignation had already happened and a letter had already been mailed to me. 3 days later I received 2 identical letters from SL confirming I was out.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 21, 2016 08:45PM

File a report at the local station. Let them know you won't stand for any more harassment or trespassing. Send the locals a copy of the report.

I had to do this to prove I meant business which meant I felt no guilt at all when they showed up a couple of years after the police chief warned to stay away.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 21, 2016 09:37PM

It was designed for some specific missionary pests that wouldn't
back off and leave us alone. (A story for a different time!)

We had a window in our front door, so I posted this on the inside, then tilted the blinds so I could see them but they couldn't see me! :-)

NOTICE:

I am under no obligation to:
avoid all loud laughter,
lightmindedness,
evil speaking of the lords anointed
or any other impure or unholy practice

Enter at you own risk
Rachel, My New Name

(Big Smiley Face here!)

I put it on the inside of the window in my door then I watched the Mormons that came to my door read it! It was priceless.

For those that have been to the temple, this statement is from The Law of the Gospel, one of the temple covenants. As the temple is so sacred it is not to be discussed, seeing this statement on a door can be quite a shock! And humorous.

Law of the Gospel: We are required to give unto you the Law of the Gospel as contained in the Holy Scriptures; to give unto you also a charge to avoid all lightmindedness, loud laughter, evil speaking of the Lord's anointed, the taking of the name of God in vain, and every other unholy and impure practice, and to cause you to receive these by covenant.

REST HERE:
http://www.lds4u.com/lesson5/templecovenants.htm

Date: October 21, 2016 09:52PM

I love that, SusieQ!

It's priceless. Especially when you get to see the looks on their faces!

LOLOL.

Date: October 21, 2016 10:41PM

Thanks for all for the posts. Email has been sent.

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: October 22, 2016 12:02AM

People make this way too complicated.

When they contact you, start discussing things they don't want to hear.

Polygamy, JS marrying young teenagers, botched inspiration, why god allows little kids to be raped and tortured, etc, etc.

Once you become a threat to their faith, they will mark your file to not contact you.

Works for me, even though I don't mind the visits. Can't get them to show up again.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 22, 2016 12:06AM

Go to your police station and ask to speak to a sergeant, or, if your department is large enough, to a community service officer. Explain the situation and ask what remedies are legally available, and what he recommends.

Laws on stalking, harassment, protection and stay-away vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, come in different degrees of strictness, and are not always available without certain circumstances being present (such as indications of danger, relationship to the offending party, etc.) Don't just say, "I WANT A PROTECTION ORDER!" The answer may be, "Sorry. you're annoyed, not in danger." You need to find out.

For starters, put up a "No Trespassing, No Soliciting" sign. You can add "Religious Missionaries Especially," but that's just to make you feel better. With that sign up, any law enforcement officer now has increased enforcement power, because anybody on your property has already been "served" notice. In Massachusetts, for example, he would have an automatic right of arrest, if he felt that was an appropriate enforcement option

Also, keep a log of who contacted you, when, and what was said or done. Recreate the history as much as you can.

My main point is, find out the law from a responsible person. Your solution may be delightfully simple: a call or letter from a police sergeant or lieutenant to the local bishop and stake president, perhaps?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 22, 2016 09:28AM

Resigning from the church helps in most cases. It will either cure the problem entirely or cut way back on the intrusions. If you find that they are still bothering you, put up a "No Trespassing" sign or use SusieQ's door sign. If those measures fail to help, consult your local police.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 22, 2016 11:47PM

One fun thing that I wanted to try but don't know if it's available. Get a door bell that barks like a huge dog, and leave a bowl of dry dog food and water on your porch!

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 23, 2016 12:52PM

Another great idea.

Add a sign that you will not be responsible for dog bites on your property.

Here's another idea....

Have a custom doormat made that says, "Shake the dust off your feet here before entering.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: October 23, 2016 03:01PM

SusieQ#1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One fun thing that I wanted to try but don't know
> if it's available. Get a door bell that barks like
> a huge dog, and leave a bowl of dry dog food and
> water on your porch!
=========================
A couple of BIG dog bowls full of food and water.

Or how about one of those those phony cameras? I've seen 'em and they look real.

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: October 23, 2016 08:48AM

As long as you claim to be a member, they can treat you like one.

Just sayin'. Now, myself, after a long campaign of openly speaking of historical issues to people who try to reactivate me, I've been placed on the Do Not Contact list by the Bishop...you see, when people return and report, they would also tend to ask the bishop questions about certain issues. I guess talking about church stuff is frowned upon at church.

When you do have papers served, me sure to put a "public notice" in the local paper as well.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 23, 2016 09:00AM

Everyone in their home has a 100% right to say who can come onto their property. Belonging to a church doesn't change that fact.

If a Catholic tells someone in his parish to stop visiting his home, that person must stay away or be guilty of trespassing.

If a practicing or inactive mormon says they will no longer allow HTers to come to their home, the ward is legally required to stop sending them because everyone in the US has a 100% right to say who is allowed to come to their home. Once someone knows they are banned from a private residence, they must not go there because they would be trespassing.

The law doesn't force anyone to allow scary or unwanted visitors into their home.

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: October 23, 2016 01:57PM

It greatly depends on the bishop and the stake prez as to how that is managed. Some are dix about it while others are respectful of people's wishes.

As long as you are a member, the Bishop thinks he has the responsibility to keep you on his own list, even if he does not assign others to visit you. ----Of course, he only thinks that because it is in the Leadership manual regarding inactive members...at least is was in the manual before the 2007 edition came out, and it probably still is.

Posted by: JamesL ( )
Date: October 23, 2016 01:42PM

Resign. Legally and officially terminate your membership in the LDS church. As long as you are on the rolls of membership, they can claim valid reason for contacting you: you are "one of them" in a very solid way, no matter how you feel about it. Once you have your name removed from their membership lists, they no longer have any reasonable basis for contacting you.

I had to go through this, as well. No matter how many times I told them to leave me alone, they wouldn't until I finally decided that I had to make sure they could no longer count me as part of them in any way.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 23, 2016 01:57PM

This is an amazing thread.

The whole basis of Christianity for believers is a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

No signed contracts, no tithing slips, no assignments, no paperwork.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.