Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: roomwithaview ( )
Date: October 21, 2016 05:26PM

Nevermo here. This morning I received a call from an LDS missionary serving in my area. She said her records indicated missionaries had visited me before. I told her that was correct. However, I said they only came because my son sent them (2 years in a row) as an April Fool's prank. (Both visits, I was nice and apologized for my son's wasting their time. The second year, when they offered me a BOM, I offered them each copies of "No Man Knows My History". I didn't take the BOM, but they were happy to take NMKMH when I told them it was about Joseph Smith. They'd never heard of the book before.)

The missionary who called today asked if I was interested in having missionaries visit now. I told her, very politely, "no" and that I definitely have no interest in being Mormon now or ever, not in a million years, not for a million dollars, not when I'm dead, etc.

Instead of just hanging up, I quickly and still very politely told her that I found it highly disturbing that Joseph Smith married teenage children and other men's wives and that I have no respect for a man of that character. She didn't say anything, so I kept talking. I asked her if she had read the CES Letter. She said she didn't know what it was and asked me to spell it again.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I was also contacted by an LDS missionary over a year ago. I thought it was another prank when he said he was "Elder Sins". His actual last name is close to that, I'd just misheard it, so we laughed about that. I remember telling him the same thing--that the previous visits were only April Fool's jokes and no way would I ever want to be Mormon. The plural marriage essay had been released when he called, and I asked him questions about it. He told me that Joseph Smith was never married or sealed to anyone other than Emma, and that what I told him (straight from the LDS church's website) was all a lie. I told him to ask a supervisor about the info I shared with him, and then he was welcome to call me back if what I told him was not true. He did call back but just to have me repeat what I had already told him, which I did. Then he never called again.

I guess I'm kind of surprised that if the LDS church keeps a database of investigators/inquiries, why they don't bother to keep notes on people like me who are definitely not serious prospects and are even anti-LDS.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 21, 2016 05:31PM

roomwithaview Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I guess I'm kind of surprised that if the LDS
> church keeps a database of
> investigators/inquiries, why they don't bother to
> keep notes on people like me who are definitely
> not serious prospects and are even anti-LDS.

If they have your info, and they even suspect you ever showed interest, they'll come back to you now and then. It's better than a completely "cold" contact, you at least know something about the church. That makes you "golden" in their eyes.

Some funny stories above, too :)

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: October 21, 2016 05:38PM

When I was a missionary, we kept "prospective contact" records forever. When we were bored, which was often, we'd re-visit people we had records for. There were never any notes kept about what response was given, because people might change their mind, or even better, they might feel the spirit and we would be inspired to visit them at the right time!

I don't event think we'd note if someone had moved, meaning that we'd keep visiting the whoever lived at an address for years to come.

The line we were told was that on average a person would gain interest in the church after the third contact. So, we'd just keep contacting people until they were interested...

So, expect to be visited and/or called again.

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: October 21, 2016 05:49PM

Probably shows how few real inquiries they have if they have to keep recycling old contacts that have already said no. Good opportunity to challenge them, though, and its not even your fault for wasting their time.

Posted by: dp ( )
Date: October 22, 2016 03:42AM

The good old "area book".

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: October 21, 2016 05:46PM

The worth of a soul is kept in a recipe box with other 4 x 5s.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: October 22, 2016 11:53AM

EXON46 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The worth of a soul is kept in a recipe box with
> other 4 x 5s.

Another typical anti-Mormon LIE!! . . . They're kept with 3 x 5s.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 22, 2016 12:07PM

Yay! The church IS true!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 22, 2016 04:10AM

The bishops think they are in charge of EVERYONE living within their ward boundaries. Mormon relatives think they should rule over non-believers in their family. Missionaries think they have a right to keep names and pass them on forever and to harass and trespass on anyone on their list.

Mormons still think they're in charge of those who die. That's what dead dunking and other temple rites are all about.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 22, 2016 08:28AM

You may have helped lead more souls out of Mormonism based on your acts of charity than you may ever realize.

It was very kind gestures on your part to donate books to those young mishies, and ask questions that caused some to want to learn more. So much history is withheld from LDS members, we were not taught the things that are commonly known to those outside the faith.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.