Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 21, 2016 05:20PM

during which time young people are allowed to go "off the Rez" and get into whatever kind of hell-raising they like before deciding whether or not they want to go back to being Amish.

Can you just imagine what would happen if the Mormons adopted a similar program, after kids graduate from high school, but before missions? If they had absolute permission (and the church put the kibosh on parental resistance) to go off and get into all kinds of mischief before deciding whether or not to commit to a Mormon lifestyle?

The church knows, of course, that this would be ecclesiastical suicide. Very few young people would voluntarily go back to Mormonism after tasting genuine freedom.

But it's an interesting idea, no?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: October 21, 2016 05:26PM

It goes against Mormonism's 8 year old age of baptism, when a child is supposedly old enough to be accountable for decisions affecting the rest of one's life and in the eternities. Never mind that my baptism at 8 yrs old was not a choice for me to make. Mormonism sucks. Seems the Amish understand their own children and don't want them to be forced into a life they might disagree with.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 21, 2016 08:39PM

The proposition is supportable that while there is no announced mormon rumspringa, there is an expectation that a number of 17-19 males will be sexually active, but by golly, they will all get to go on missions!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 21, 2016 09:07PM

about a few of my high school friends and they actually did have what I'd call a rumspringa or something close to it. Most of my friends, if not all. Me, I was the stupid little perfect child.

Now they all preach to me about going back to church and call me back into the light when they find out I left the church. It took me a long time to sow my wild oats.

I think MANY mormon kids "act out," they just don't have permission and then they have to go repent.

Posted by: You Too? ( )
Date: October 21, 2016 09:20PM

If the Amish kids then decide not to return, they are then shunned for life. Its not quite as romantic as it seems.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 21, 2016 09:30PM

It's kind of comparable to when the FLDS cast out their children from their midst.

They are turned loose without any support or means of going it on their own.

Abandoned by the only family and community they know, the shunning is permanent in Amish culture.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: October 21, 2016 09:36PM

You Too? Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If the Amish kids then decide not to return, they
> are then shunned for life. Its not quite as
> romantic as it seems.

My understanding is...

The Amish are baptized as adults.

Prior to Amish baptism (which can, at least theoretically, occur at any point in an adult's life) Amish adolescents engage in either a "formal" kind of rumspringa, or rumspringa-type activities, according to each individual kid's wishes and what is acceptable in their home groups.

So long as they have not been baptized, they are free to visit their Amish families, etc., even if they are rumspringa-ing on the "outside."

So...if a given adolescent doesn't ever say, "Okay, now I want to be baptized," they can "live" "among the English" and continue to do whatever they want to do with their lives, and they are STILL able to have active connections to their Amish families and Amish friends.

HOWEVER...once an Amish-raised person DOES get baptized (again: as an adult by Amish standards), they cannot leave their group past that point without being shunned for the rest of their lives.

(Also from what I understand: there are many different Amish groups, each with at least somewhat varying practices when it comes to rumspringa and related issues, and there are a range of practical variations on the general rules.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2016 09:39PM by Tevai.

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: October 22, 2016 02:28PM

Tevai is correct on this. As long as any persons, including children of Amish parents raised in an Amish community, have not been baptized, those people should not be shunned if they choose not to be baptized. I say "should not" because there are a few Amish communities that are more dictatorial than the general run....)

If people choose not to be baptized, they can join another church (often a Mennonite group, but any church is possible, or no church at all). They can own and drive a car. They can marry someone of another faith. And so on, without being shunned. Mom and Dad may be decidedly unhappy about that, but that's a fairly common, individual problem, I am sad to say.

You have to be baptized and then "transgress" in some way, and refuse to modify whatever behavior it is that is a problem in the church's eyes after extensive discussion, in order to be formally shunned. It's normally a process that is avoided if possible.

Even if someone is shunned, in most Amish communities, that person is still able to visit family and friends, and have a basic sort of connection. There are limits on what can be done together, but the person is not cut off totally (in most communities --- there is a great variance in what is acceptable from community to community). So if you go to your parents' house for dinner, you can visit, and eat, but you have to sit at a separate table from the active Amish. You can't pass a dish of food to a baptized Amish person at the meal, but you can set it on the table and let an unbaptized person hand it around. And so forth. You can't sell a horse to a baptized person, but you can usually sell a horse to an unbaptized person as a go-between who will then sell it to a baptized person. And so forth.

I, personally, hate the idea of shunning with a passion. I deeply wish that Paul, or whoever wrote the passages that are used to justify shunning, had just been too tired to write that day. The guy has a lot of nasty things to his credit.

However, shunning is not so extreme as some people imagine --- *in most communities.* And shunning is supposed to be reserved for use only with adults who have already formally agreed, as adults, to follow all of the community/church rules. Not for any unbaptized person, regardless of age or origin.

And, no, during rumspringa, children are not sent out to live in the outside world with no preparation. Children still live at home and in the community, as they personally wish. They (there is a considerable gender difference here, in some communities, so males often get more freedom than females) are simply allowed to experiment with things that would be forbidden to baptized members, as they individually wish to do. Mostly, those things are relatively mild --- and there is a fair bit of community oversight in some communities. Less or none in others. The idea is to let the young people, who are close to adulthood, have enough experience to make a decision about joining the church formally, and of their own free will. It's supposed to be based on personal choice. That doesn't work out so neatly, in some situations, but at least there is some degree, in most communities, of personal choice.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 21, 2016 09:37PM

My Rumspringa began at age 15. Still happening!

RB

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 22, 2016 12:44AM

now let me get this straight .....
amish letting their totally unprepared children go into the world to see what it is like ?
of course they will be unable to cope and will run back to the amish.

great inoculation technique.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 22, 2016 01:08PM

We have at least a dozen or more Hutterite Colonies (Anabaptist like the Amish but with electricity and the very best of modern mechanized farming technology) within a 20 mile radius of us. Many of the young men and a few of the young women will leave the colony to go out and find jobs. Many work on other farms or in the oil patch. Most go back.

RB

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: October 22, 2016 05:10PM

Mormonism isn't about free will. Cults don't survive on free will. Cults survive on manipulation and mind control. Without mind control there is no tithing. Without tithing there is no Mormonism. Without Mormonism, LD$, Inc. collapses.

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: October 22, 2016 06:09PM

Having worked around and with several hutterites i was totally impressed that they baptized at 23-25 before marriage and commitment to the lifestyle...worked with a great 16 year old harvesting on the reserve one fall...boss worked him like a rented mule and paid him poorly..because he could...i talked him into going back..hes a preacher at a new colony now...its a great lifestyle if you can get over owning stuff...it was sure better for him...many outsiders use them up and arent fair with them...when they return they must give everything they have to the colony and stand in church for a week...standing in church seems the nastiest punishment to them...most will submit to avoid public shame...AMOS was a durn good kid...last time i met him he was with his dad in law and was nervous to chat...so just said hi..probly best word to describe young hutterites would be naive

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.