Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Loyalexmo ( )
Date: October 21, 2016 05:19PM

It was important to my husband that his vows say he would love me beyond death. He is an atheist (and has a full sleeve, including a tattoo for me, lol, and loves scotch, so I'm not worried about him becoming a Mormon anytime soon), but he wanted to say in his vows that he felt our souls would somehow he connected after death. Because of my history with Mormonism, I didn't say that in my vows. We also have different spiritual beliefs though I am also an atheist.

I wonder how many converts are especially drawn to that part of Mormon "doctrine." A lot of people find it really romantic or a way to recover lost children or friends, etc. Very exploitative.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2016 05:19PM by woodsmoke.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: October 21, 2016 05:54PM

Did he say his death or your death? If you die, He can still love you. If he dies you can believe he still loves you. Either way it's a loving sentiment.

Posted by: anonuk ( )
Date: October 21, 2016 08:41PM

I know of at least one couple who lost their only (adult) child and converted some time after when they met missionaries. Now they firmly believe they are all 'sealed' and they will see that kid in the CK since the kid has now been baptised posthumously.

What a way to screw 10% of their income out of them for the remainder of their years. I feel really sorry for the fraud perpetuated upon them with the help of ward missionaries.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 21, 2016 08:45PM

I tried to overlook many things and gave up opportunities to marry people I really wanted to who were nonmormon. I had to be with my spouse and children forever. That was the most compelling thing to me about mormonism. I think the fear of never being with those we love in whatever there is to come is too much to handle.

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: October 22, 2016 12:55AM

Aren't most vows foolish?

Someone said a good man doesn't need to make promises and a bad man won't keep them.

Seems there is doubt in the beginning if you have to promise to love someone. Kind of like people that really like to eat so have to make promises every new year to eat less. Which usually doesn't work.

Likewise, you either love someone or you don't. Now you might sign a contract to stick together even if you don't love them. Or you might promise to provide X amount of dollars or sex, and failure to do so will result in ending the contract.

But somehow that isn't romantic enough. So just make vows based on fantasy and raise expectations which creates disappointment, resentment and divorce.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: October 22, 2016 01:05AM

I think he loves you very much! The meaning of his love is too deep for words. Health, joy, and good times be yours, Woodsmoke!

Posted by: Elizasnowjob ( )
Date: October 22, 2016 01:12AM

He sounds sincere and lovely. Enjoy your life together.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.