Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Idahobanananotloggedin ( )
Date: October 19, 2016 03:21PM

My kids are all amped up because they're doing a satellite broadcast tonight at mutual. Previously, when they've done a "face to face" broadcast, it's been an area authority or general authority.
What's up with this one tonight? Using Mormon pop culture to persuade the youth that it's still cool to be Mormon?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: October 19, 2016 04:07PM

So is our ward. Just what the hell is Studio C!??? I've never heard of it.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 19, 2016 04:16PM

Ooh, satellites!
Mormons are catching up to the 1980s!

:)

It's probably some old white guy in a suit from SLC with an important message about social media, and how they should only use it to promote the church, and that will keep their testimonkeys strong.

Let me know if I was right, ok?

Posted by: M.Breckenridge ( )
Date: October 19, 2016 04:20PM

Google tells me it is BYU's version of Saturday Night Live. A Mormon comedy sketch team! Huh?

I can't even imagine. I'm sure there will be no danger of loud laughter.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 19, 2016 04:50PM

M.Breckenridge Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Google tells me it is BYU's version of Saturday
> Night Live. A Mormon comedy sketch team! Huh?

Oh, the full Q15 then.

You know, mormon comedy sketch team...:)

Posted by: M.Breckenridge ( )
Date: October 19, 2016 05:41PM

Oh. The Q15. So then, there'll be a weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth track rather than a laugh track?

Posted by: Liz ( )
Date: October 19, 2016 04:46PM

Studio C reminds me of Kirby.

Both push the limits of LDS ideas, practices, and can be quite insightful at time, as well as comedic. Some sketches are light hearted, good fun, others are darker, and topics are all over the spectrum.

I was surprised the first few times I tuned in. The cast is young, energetic, good actors, talented, and not afraid to made light of gospel topics, as well as current events.

If you like Kirby in the newspaper, you might like Studio C. It appeals to many of the young who find the LDS church stuffy, boring, and out of touch.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 19, 2016 05:17PM

The fossils believe that if they look the other way and allow a little light humor it may possibly save the church. Of course loud laughter will still not be tolerated one bit.

Posted by: ex-mormon-man ( )
Date: October 19, 2016 05:21PM

I'm as ex-Mormon as they come....but when my children watch an episode of Studio C I often find myself laughing along. Some very funny skits, and clean.

If you want to get an idea of the humor, go to youtube and watch 'Scott Sterling soccer'.

I promise you won't be disappointed.

Posted by: Idahobanananotloggedin ( )
Date: October 19, 2016 09:40PM

Yeah, I like some of Studio C's skits. Some smack too much of Mormon culture to me. But good clean fun.

I just was surprised that they're doing a church wide youth thing with an entertainment group. I think the upper ups realize that they'll be better salesmen of the gospel to the youth than the Q15 would be. Maybe I'm too cynical. But the manipulative sales pitch really grates on me.

Posted by: maureen ( )
Date: October 19, 2016 10:14PM

I've recently seen a Scott Sterling sketch and it was absolutely hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F9jXYOH2c0

M.

Posted by: idahobanana ( )
Date: October 19, 2016 11:02PM

Oh my gosh. I was rolling. Thanks for sharing this one. I hadn't seen it before.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: October 19, 2016 10:18PM

It's funny you mention this. The basement I live in, at my dad's house, who is the bishop, was co-opted so they could use our TV to watch it streamed live or whatever. And it was on one of the days of the week I have off. Bad luck for me. Is it me, or are youth groups getting smaller? When I was a youth, there were like 30 of them. At my dad's ward there are like 7, and a few more who hardly ever come.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2016 10:19PM by midwestanon.

Posted by: Anonomo ( )
Date: October 20, 2016 11:05AM

There are 3 YW's in our local ward in the Midwest and 2 YM's.

Date: October 19, 2016 11:00PM

Yeah, in my kids' ward, the youth group is pretty small. (And we're here in crazy Rexburg!)
They ended up combining all young women into one group instead of Beehives, Mia Maids, and Laurels because there weren't enough youth to have all 3 groups when they re-zoned the ward boundaries (ward creation, you know! ;D )a few months ago.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 20, 2016 10:59PM

Here's a story on the 'face to face' event involving Studio C

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865665213/Studio-C-talks-to-LDS-teens-about-testimony-faith-and-self-confidence.html?pg=all

The first video I looked at, per the recommendations, was the soccer saves one, and everything after that was a let down.

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: October 20, 2016 11:52PM

I first saw Studio C at my TBM brother's house a couple years ago. It was funny-ish; I think they tend to have more creative--but more general, less topical--setups than SNL, but overall are less funny. They have a few nuggets, like the Celine Dion Christmas caroling sketch, or the Jason Bourne/Dobby sketch, but most of it is forgettable. If they're being broadcast as a youth fireside churchwide, the leaders must be flailing.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: October 21, 2016 12:33PM

Face to ass -holy crap - self entertainment... in a bad way.

Date: October 21, 2016 05:26PM

My kids came home totally gaga from this event. My son's response: "I've always seen their funny side. It was so neat to see their Spiritual Side. I love them even more now!"

Gag. Choke. Smile politely.

Terms like "Spiritual side" bring up conflict that was always in my mind as a TBM. I could never make my "spiritual side" overcome and take precedence to my other, every day personality.

It was such a freakin relief to realize that the notion of the duality of being was a total piece of BS.

It hurts to see my kids buying into it. But then again, I have to remember that it may not be a trigger issue for them as it was for me. They're on their own path.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.