Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: October 19, 2016 12:06AM

Spoiler alert: DC state name to be State of Washington, DC

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/spoiler-alert-dc-state-name-to-be-state-of-washington-dc/ar-AAj72JZ`

Isn't D.C supposed to be separate from the rest of tne States!??

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Ntt ( )
Date: October 19, 2016 01:22AM

So we're going to have two states named Washington? It was already confusing when one of them was a district.

Stuff D.C. back into Maryland where it came from. Why should a small city state get two senators of its own? D.C. statehood is about greed and grabbing power, nothing more.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: October 19, 2016 12:24PM

Wyoming population: 584,153
DC population: 658,893

We can "stuff" DC back into Maryland as soon as we agree to "stuff" Wyoming into Utah or Colorado--maybe stuff Utah, Idaho and Wyoming together.

Why aren't some of these posters going apoplectic about Wyoming having 2 senators?

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: October 19, 2016 12:31PM

My understanding of the desire for DC to have senators is that they are being taxed without representation in congress. The "no taxation without representation" thing rears it's head.

Posted by: Wyoming Watcher ( )
Date: October 21, 2016 02:27PM

Here are some interesting documents regarding the history on Wyoming becoming a State in the USA.

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015065515630;view=1up;seq=17;size=75

Here are some interesting links regarding DC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/District_of_Columbia_retrocession

The Constitution had called for 100 square miles of land to be a federal district as the center of government. Thus Maryland/Virginia ceded land (probably paid; but I haven't looked this up) to the federal government for that purpose. In 1846 there were 31 square miles retroceded to Virginia leaving the present 69 square miles in the federal district.

Here was the Act of Congress to return Alexandria/Arlington to Virginia.

http://legisworks.org/sal/9/stats/STATUTE-9-Pg35.pdf

If anyone would like to have new retrocessions or Statehood occur on these 69 square miles or any other federal territories throughout the country then the process is to go to http://www.house.gov/representatives, find your representative, ask them to introduce a bill to get this done, and then the process can get going. I personally wonder what it would be like to have all the States/Territories divided down into parcels of 69+ square miles to form new States so we could have more geographical uniformity in the States. Rhode Island with 1,212 square miles would be broken up into 17 States. Alaska would be broken up into 6913 States. There would sure be a lot more US Senators in Congress as a result.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: October 19, 2016 12:35PM

My 4th Grade teacher, Miss Miller, clearly taught us at our Maryland elementary school, that the land for DC came from Maryland, Virginia, and Deleware, not just Maryland.

Posted by: en passant ( )
Date: October 19, 2016 09:15PM

There's more intelligence, culture, heritage, art, history, music, efficient city government, and good will in D.C. than there is in Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, and the whole miserable, pathetic mess of red-necked Midwestern states combined. They should at least get two Senators.

Posted by: Cold Beer ( )
Date: October 19, 2016 10:07PM

en passant Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There's more intelligence, culture, heritage, art,
> history, music, efficient city government, and
> good will in D.C. than there is in Utah, Wyoming,
> Idaho, and the whole miserable, pathetic mess of
> red-necked Midwestern states combined. They
> should at least get two Senators.

WOW Really!

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: October 20, 2016 11:13AM

Snob?

Posted by: cytokine ( )
Date: October 21, 2016 03:23PM

> D.C. statehood is about greed and
> grabbing power, nothing more.

This is the most political statement I've seen on this board so far, and you managed to make it stick!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2016 03:25PM by cytokine.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: October 19, 2016 01:41AM

Are we adding another star to the flag? And will the inhabitants and officials of the present state of Washington no longer be allowed to refer to their state as The State of Washington just as California has The state of California on its seal and as do probably all those except those referring to themselves as commonwealths? It seems as though if we were to adopt a 51st state and DC were to be it, Columbia would be a more fitting name.

I read the linked article and agree that it's a long shot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2016 01:43AM by scmd.

Posted by: Backseater ( )
Date: October 21, 2016 10:14AM

Columbia refers to Christopher Columbus: a white european male, a champion of feudalism and imperialism, a destroyer of the environment, and an exploiter of indigenous peoples--among other serious allegations. Pretty soon he won't even have a day named after him.

Terminally politically incorrect.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: October 21, 2016 01:42PM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 19, 2016 05:47AM

"...in the unlikely event that it becomes a state..."

District officials can keep dreaming. Dreams are free. Not going to happen IRL.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2016 05:47AM by summer.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 19, 2016 10:14AM

I agree, summer. I think Puerto Rico has a better shot of becoming a state than D.C. does :)

Posted by: JVN087d ( )
Date: October 19, 2016 11:01AM

I think its funny that Washington state was not called Columbia to avoid confusion with the District of Columbia. So they went and named it Washington.

I think Washington state should have been called American Columbia as opposed to British Columbia.

Maryland and Virginia donated land for the district and Virginia got theirs back in the 1850s. So I would think that being returned to Maryland has precedence. However I am sure Maryland would not want it back and take on the debt and problems. And the Democrats would love to have an additional state with 2 more Democrat senators and another Democrat Representative.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: October 19, 2016 12:41PM

wow.

mind blowing.

if they had named it 'American Columbia', then the whole seattle music scene would have happened earlier, AC/BC would have been a totally different sound, history would have been changed and an alternate reality would have......wait, did it?

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: October 19, 2016 10:26PM

...a slaveowner? :-)

If Washington DC ever becomes a state, I think they should name it something that fits it. Maybe Dysfunctionia or something.

Posted by: John Mc ( )
Date: October 19, 2016 11:39PM

Well the US has a DC state but when will it have a Marvel state?

Date: October 21, 2016 11:11AM

Clearly you've never been to Burbank...:)

Date: October 21, 2016 01:17PM

Well no. It that one of them BoM cities we can't find now?

Date: October 21, 2016 02:18PM

davetheseer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well no. It that one of them BoM cities we can't
> find now?

Unlike those, it's real. And it's the home of Disney, who pretty much owns the town now...with a large portion of that being devoted to Marvel (even though officially their HQ is in NYC).

Burbank is where fantasyland is made, Disney and Marvel. :)

Date: October 21, 2016 02:26PM

And the difference is?

Posted by: hypnos ( )
Date: October 20, 2016 11:36AM

They will never take away the favorite toy of Congress

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: October 21, 2016 01:20PM

That name is already taken. They should call themselves Columbia.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: October 21, 2016 03:48PM

The objective of having a capitol which is without separate authority is a good one. The difficulty is that where it is ruled by, for example, a separate state is seen in various other countries where there become a division and the capitol government is contrary to the rest of the nation. In the case of Washington DC, we have a municipal government and the rest of Maryland has sufficient clout that by returning it to Maryland there is little inherent problem. Indeed, the State of Maryland might well be accepting of the change. A separate state? No. State governments enact a multitude of laws which could create a difficulty for all of us. Being part of Maryland is now the best solution.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2016 03:49PM by rhgc.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.