Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: October 18, 2016 09:09PM

I have given thought to resignation except I think it would start them coming to my house and bothering me.The last contact I have had was a couple of guys from the ward stopping by about 3 years ago when I basically informed them that I was Athiest and the LDS Church was way too conservative for me anyway .No contact since and I want to keep it that way.Can a person just resign and have zero contact ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 18, 2016 09:20PM

Yes.
Go to the main page here, there is a resignation letter template.
Send it in.

Sometimes you will simply receive a letter back (sometimes with a glossy pamphlet inviting you to come back), acknowledging that they've processed your resignation, and you're done.

Sometimes a local asshat...err...bishop will try to contact you to "confirm" your resignation. Just tell them it's confirmed, you don't want any contact and you will not allow them to come over, and they'll generally just get it done.

So at worst you'll get a phone call, at best you won't hear anything at all except a confirmation letter. And then nobody from the ward will have your address to stop by anymore.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 19, 2016 05:20AM

Tell them your mind is made up and you're not willing to discuss it. Once they receive your letter, you are no longer a member and they don't have a right to treat you as one. Some locals understand this fact. A few of them persist and show up at the door or phone. If they do this, you'll need to rebuff them and remind them that you have resigned. They don't usually show up more than once if you refuse to talk to them and don't give them any encouragement.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: October 19, 2016 06:55AM

Why resign? I'm waiting for them to find me and try and reactivate me. I'll tell them all about horny old Joe and his egregious lies. Besides, I paid a lot of money for that Church membership.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: October 19, 2016 10:28AM

Nobody came to see me in person when I resigned and I live in the heart of Salt Lake valley. I did get a letter from the guy who claimed he was my bishop. He didn't know me from Adam, but said he would "allow" me to resign... I got a good laugh from that.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 19, 2016 11:46PM

I would have responded to that idiotic bishop that I would not allow him to allow me to resign.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 19, 2016 10:58AM

...but I just love funeral potatoes.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 19, 2016 02:27PM

It's better if you do resign, because then you're off the visiting roster for home teachers and/or visiting teachers.

Or any reactivation attempts.

Posted by: idahobanana ( )
Date: October 19, 2016 11:30PM

I used that website of the lawyer in Utah that is helping people resign. Easy. Painless. I never heard a peep from my local leaders. And ever since, I have stopped receiving Relief Society emails and reactivation visits.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 22, 2016 12:50AM

There are two strong reasons why I don't resign:

1. I want to cheat my TBM daughter our of tearfully telling her ward, during F&TM, that a year had passed from the date of my death and she'd just gotten confirmation that my temple work had been done again and I could now accept the gospel and move from my trailer in Spirit Prision to a nice condo in Paradise, making her just so, so happy!!

and,

2. I WANT mormons to visit me! I want them to try to share the glorious gospel good news so that I can take their words, wrap them in my happy-go-lucky apostate happiness and ram them back down their throats. I am sincerely looking forward to someone sitting with me long enough to get so furious at my professed disdain for the afossils and all that they have wrought, such that he jumps up and curses me, and condemns me to hell.

I get goose pimples just thinking about it!!

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: October 22, 2016 01:13AM

Yes, I want visits also. They do some small talk chit-chat for a while and eventually ask why I'm not coming to church.

I try to keep it low key. Never tell them the church is untrue or anything. Don't want them offended and leave. I just tell them I'm just a terrestrial kingdom kind of guy. But then they tell me how great the CK is and then I start asking how that polygamy actually works, like how many women would I get, and they downplay the whole thing.

Then I say I don't think I could create worlds, and do church stuff for eternity, because I used to get headaches just sitting in a few hours of meetings. I prefer to stay home and focus on family as the church emphasizes.

And I tell them I'm probably not worthy, because I never could get answers to prayer and couldn't get the priesthood to work right. But then other guys couldn't either and then I share stories of botched inspiration from leaders. And how confusing it was trying to figure out when leaders spoke for god (got it right) and when they were speaking as men (got it wrong). I mean, if I'm supposed to pray for inspiration to know which stuff the leaders say is inspired, why not just cut out the middle man?

Just kind of goes on and on. One thing leads to another, and before you know it they get tired of hearing this stuff and leave and I never see them again for years.

Which is a shame since I have work for them. Years ago the missionaries asked if there was anything they could do to help. So I showed them a pile of firewood I needed split, and then I went to town. Never saw those particular fellows again.

Come to think of it, maybe I'll call them up and ask if they'd like to fill in this trench I dug for power lines, and clean the manure out of the cow shed, and the chicken coop needs cleaned out, and......

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.