Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 04:10PM

I just can not understand how someone can believe without question that JS translated a book from an unknown language to an outdated version of English by putting stones in a hat, yet demands absolute proof before they will believe that condemnation of gays by religious leaders contributes the the gay teen suicide problem.

It has always seemed strange to me that a Mormon would demand proof of ANYTHING.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 04:28PM

Same way millions of folks believe:

1. Elvis is still alive.
2. The 1969 moonlanding was a hoax filmed in a Cali studio.
3. LBJ had Kennedy assassinated.
4. Marilyn Monroe was killed (insert some Kennedy here)
5. 2021 will be the end of the earth as we know it.

Shall I continue?

Ron

Posted by: oddcouplet ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 05:11PM

The missionaries I met recently told me that the places to which they had been assigned were determined by revelation to the church's leaders. I don't know if this is a common belief in Mormonism, but they seemed sincere. Fortunately, I was able to cite D&C 9 to them, which suggests that we are to rely on our reason as much as possible.

I have since wondered what other beliefs and decisions in the church are accepted only on the basis of revelation. What about investment decisions? That might explain some of the layoffs being discussed in other threads. Just sayin'...

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 05:26PM

that they would actually embrace WITHOUT QUESTION the idea that "condemnation of gays by religious leaders contributes the gay teen suicide problem" without requiring any proof at all!

They would simply dismiss the tragedy by saying something like: "Well, if their [teenage gays] lives were in order, the loving counsel of their priesthood leaders wouldn't lead to their taking their own lives."

Is there any hope? : (

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 05:44PM

Yes, there is hope. Up until the very day the inspired lawyers told the Twelve to allow blacks to have the priesthood, the wards were teaching that "Negroes" could have the priesthood after every white soul had been clothed in a body and received his endowments. They explained that only God knew what they did to deserve this--it's a mystery to us Mormons-- and we certainly aren't behind it because we love black people just the same.

The whole gay-condemnation position is equally ludicrous. It reminds me of the time the disciple asked Jesus what a blind man's parents had done that their child was born blind. Hard to grasp the mental mindset that created that question, right? And Jesus was exasperated with it because it was really like an urban myth of their time.

Maybe the lawyers will speak again in modern times and the leaders will follow their wise counsel. Perhaps they will declare that the Bible was mistranslated and the word "thief" actually was "homosexual" and through the Urim which was united once again with its Thummim, found hidden in the SL Temple vault, the prophet made the correct translation.

And so, Brothers and Sisters, we stand before you this day to usher in this Grand Gay Proclamation as our modern Prophet shares with us his sacred revelation through which we are given meat wherefore before we had milk, and now we understand that like the thief on the cross, the homosexual is to be forgiven and embraced "this day"....."

Thus sayeth the lawyers--er, I mean the Lawd, Amen."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.