Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: JVN087 ( )
Date: September 29, 2016 02:53PM

I just rewatched the movie which i saw a couple years ago.

(The first time I saw the movie was before I researched the LDS church. I researched the church online instead of asking a friend/coworker questions and being seen as a conversion project)

So I understood a lot more of the context. I thought it was done very well. It did not 'make fun' some of the crazier aspects of Mormonism. And it was done so even a never mormon person would appreciate the story

I just wanted to know what some of you ex mormons thought of the film

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: JVN087 ( )
Date: September 29, 2016 03:01PM

for those who have not seen the falls its about 2 Missionaries who are gay and fall in love working as missionary companions in an Oregon town

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: September 29, 2016 03:28PM

Haven't seen that one yet.

The next movie I hope to see is called "Denial," about a real life lawsuit where the woman sues a Brit for his role in Holocaust Denial, and wins her case. It's out today or tomorrow in Los Angeles and New York, and hits the rest of the nation sometime in October. Stars Rachel Weisz. Should be a good film.

Thanks for the "thumbs up" on "The Falls." :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2016 03:29PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Mike T. ( )
Date: September 30, 2016 07:15AM

And Timothy Spall!

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: September 29, 2016 03:34PM

I've seen The Falls and it's sequel The Falls: Testament of Love which came out a year or so later.

They were well done, a little overwrought, but a decent job of telling the story and it's continuation.

According to Imdb, there's yet a 3rd part, The Falls: Covenant of Grace which has just finished production.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2016 03:36PM by memikeyounot.

Posted by: Inverso ( )
Date: September 29, 2016 04:44PM

There is a third (and final?) installment called *The Falls: Covenant of Grace* that screened two weeks ago at the Portland Q_r Film Festival. I was out of town so I missed it, but I'm acquainted with the director and hope to maybe get access to a preview at least.

The films have led to a lot of discussion among my LGBTQ film friends because the director and actors who play the lead roles do not identify as gay. Or Mormon. But a lot of gay folks with connections to the church have really appreciated the effort to have this story told.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: September 29, 2016 05:45PM

So there's a series of films it sounds like?

Hmm, now I'll be on the alert for its showing when it comes out again.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: January 22, 2017 11:06PM

I just watched the 3rd episode of this series, called The Falls: Covenant of Grace. I actually paid $2.99 on Amazon Video and it looks like it's available on DVD.

All 3 of these movies look great and have very nice cinematography etc.

Some of the morg stuff covered is not even close to the way the church is, but I was happy to see that the father of one of the characters (an apostle yet) was willing to be on their side.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.