Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: September 28, 2016 09:32PM

It’s part of a sacred covenant made in the temple. In the endowment we are told (in no uncertain terms) that we have to live up to every covenant we make, or god’s really going to be pissed.

So our standing before god, and possibly our chance at exaltation depends on obeying a promise that nobody can explain (at least I never met anyone who seemed to know what it means).

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gatorman ( )
Date: September 28, 2016 09:35PM

Don't go and hear a F/T meeting then....

Gatorman
3-1

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: September 28, 2016 09:36PM

I never did get an explanation of what it means from anyone but my husband who tried to say it mean bawdy, drunken, laughter,or making fun of sacred things!
I always claimed that "loud laughter" is extremely healthy (long list of the values) medically proven.

Many of the commandments or rules in Mormonism are totally against medical evidence.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: September 28, 2016 09:52PM

It’s funny how the Mormon god can say simple words, and leave it up to his children to make up convoluted explanations. If god really didn’t want us to make fun of sacred things, why didn’t he say “don’t make fun of sacred things”? If he wanted us to avoid bawdy, drunken laughter, why didn’t he say that? Why say “avoid loud laughter” if you mean something else?

It’s the same way with the WoW. The “saints” are told to avoid hot drinks. If he wanted them to avoid coffee and tea, why didn’t he say “avoid coffee and tea”?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 28, 2016 09:38PM

The whole scenario postulates a ghawd who is capable of getting so pissed that he tells a child who laughs too heartily to go to hell. Who on earth believes in that ghawd?

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: September 28, 2016 09:51PM

I don't believe in that Ghawd.

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: September 29, 2016 10:18AM

I too don't believe in that Ghawd.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: October 01, 2016 07:31AM

I three don't believe in that gawd!

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: October 01, 2016 08:36PM

I don't believe it either, guys.

;o)

Posted by: beyondashadow ( )
Date: October 01, 2016 08:40PM

Ghawddammit, EOD!

Can't you show at least a sliver of respect here?

How would you like it if I intentionally misspelled your name in depricating tones?

ElderOldDhawg! There! How does THAT feel?

Posted by: evergreen ( )
Date: September 28, 2016 09:49PM

this makes as much sense as anything else in the TSCC

Posted by: westerly62 ( )
Date: September 28, 2016 10:36PM

Loud laughter is the reaction one has to Joe when he drops one of his giant sized whoppers on you;

‘I am a lawgiver; I am a big lawyer and comprehend heaven, earth and hell, to bring forth knowledge that shall cover up all lawyers, doctors and other big bodies.’ The History of the Church, Vol. 5, p. 289.

‘I know more than they all.’ ibid. Vol. 5, p. 467.

‘I solve mathematical problems of universities with truth - diamond truth; and God is my right hand man.’ ibid. Vol. 6, p. 78.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 28, 2016 10:51PM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 30, 2016 12:00AM

"one man's religion is another man's belly laugh"-- Robert A. Heinlein

Posted by: girlawakened ( )
Date: September 28, 2016 11:01PM

Very few things are as satisfying as a good, deep belly laugh. I do mean very few.

Posted by: Leaving ( )
Date: September 28, 2016 11:13PM

It means that you can only laugh at the lame jokes delivered by the speakers at general conference or when Monson wiggles his ears.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 29, 2016 12:07AM

Much preferred by the Mormon leaders is the knowing smirk, or, if necessary, the soft chuckle into a palm or fist.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: September 29, 2016 12:25AM

Yes the Snicker . . . or maybe even a Milky Way . . .

but not coffee!

Posted by: kolonko ( )
Date: September 29, 2016 12:39AM

I read title of the thread and was sure it is off topic and you were refering to this https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/29/turkish-minister-women-laugh-loud-bulent-arinc

This turkish minister in islamist government said it is outrageous women laugh loud. Well if he is a closeted mormon (possible US spy) this might have consequences :)

I work with one nurse she loughs so much and so loudly and probably that is why everyone loves her. But than I am in IL not in Turkey, Saudi Arabia or some strange state in the middle of US :)

Date: October 01, 2016 07:34AM

I'm in Illinois too! We love to laugh loud and long... it makes the corn and beans grow!

Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: September 29, 2016 12:48AM

loud laughter is what helps me cope with leaving this church. Thank you, RfM

Date: September 29, 2016 08:12PM

liesarenotuseful Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> loud laughter is what helps me cope with leaving
> this church. Thank you, RfM

It really really does.... I think it's healthy.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: September 29, 2016 09:59AM

It means..."stop having fun." LDS makes sure an "F" "U" in any fun mormons have.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: October 01, 2016 08:39PM

*snicker*

;o)

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: September 29, 2016 10:17AM

"I don't know that we teach that" -> The Hinkster

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: September 29, 2016 10:26AM

I realize that, truth be told, I enjoy the occasional muffled snort.

I'd better schedule a meeting with my bishop, to confess, before this gets out of hand. I don't want it to affect my temple recommend!

Posted by: John Mc ( )
Date: September 29, 2016 10:33AM

It's what you do when some teacher or leader tries to explain what God is telling us to do to get into Mormon heaven.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 29, 2016 11:05AM

Loud laughter that you feel from your toes to your frontal lobes and back again is one of the most psychologically healthy things that can happen to you.

The last thing the Mormon church wants is psychologically healthy people.That would not work in their favor. They probably fear that more than the makers of Xanax do.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 29, 2016 11:27AM

I always felt that it was the cult's way to force you to change your personality. I remember how I was shocked when I was compelled to make a covenant in the temple to avoid loud laughter.

A sense of humor is what allows me to make it through the day and I didn't like how I was expected to become some lobotomized fool with a permanent aurora of reverence.

This also went hand in hand with what sports you were encouraged to participate in. I became the ward's activity chairperson before leaving on a mission. They told me to come up with some new outdoor Saturday activities in order to encourage greater participation. So I did and every single one was shot down. Reason?

Someone might get hurt. (touch football, soccer, softball, water balloon fight, swimming pool party)

So we resorted to weekly men's basketball and volleyball every 3 months. And I got corralled into a ppi because I wasn't showing up for basketball and therefore I was setting a poor example by not magnifying my calling. So I told them that I had no interest in the sport and they told me to go home and repent. And that I needed to humble myself for not liking the celestial sport of basketball. My MP told me the same thing 6 months later because I didn't want to watch people play it for 5 hours straight on my p-day.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 29, 2016 11:41AM

" . . . a permanent aura of reverence."

That's it. Posts like yours always remind me of when I was kid and watched the original "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" home alone one night.

Besides the pods, I remember the sole survivors being forced to show no emotion whatsoever in order to go undetected. The pod people had become programmed faux versions of themselves on the lookout for any real humans and the sign of this was no laughter or emotional outburst of any kind.

I wish when I went through the temple for my endowments that I had checked for a pod under the chair.

Posted by: JVN087 ( )
Date: September 29, 2016 11:35AM

"... to go home and repent. And that I needed to humble myself for not liking the celestial sport of basketball. My MP told me the same thing 6 months later because I didn't want to watch people play it for 5 hours straight on my p-day."

This made me laugh loudly

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: September 29, 2016 11:54AM

I read somewhere that it was part of the new england cultural/religious milieu that mormonism grew out of. I think either Brigham or Joseph's brand but can't remember which. Anyone know?

I also remember hearing that it was related to the possibility of "evil spirits" having influence over you when you are out of control like that. Must remain pious at all times or else stan is gonna get you.

Anyone else remember that stuff?

Like everything else, if they think this "gospel principle" makes them look bad these days, they would undoubtedly say it is more of a practice than a doctrine.

Posted by: fetchfacer ( )
Date: September 29, 2016 01:02PM

I read a quote by the Brigster once where he brags that he barely ever laughed out loud. I think that the covenant originally meant exactly what it says, not to laugh. People slowly just realized how little sense that made and made up other possible meanings that made more sense to them.

Date: September 29, 2016 12:05PM

This directive proves what a fraud the church is.

Doctors say that loud laughter is healthy for you.

http://www.helpguide.org/articles/emotional-health/laughter-is-the-best-medicine.htm

Just sayin'.....

Date: October 01, 2016 07:39AM

Saucie, as usual, you are right on! A good hearty laugh releases endorphins, which are good for you mentally AND physically!

::::::::::sending a Bronx cheer to the morg::::::::::

Date: October 01, 2016 06:11PM

Doxi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Saucie, as usual, you are right on! A good hearty
> laugh releases endorphins, which are good for you
> mentally AND physically!
>
> ::::::::::sending a Bronx cheer to the
> morg::::::::::

Thank you Luv!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 29, 2016 04:41PM

This solemn dissemble...

Posted by: seeking peace ( )
Date: September 29, 2016 08:05PM

"avoid loud laughter" was part of a temperance movement pledge that people took in the 1830's. Like all things Mormon it is a 19th century construct that JS stole along with the Word of Wisdom from temperance tracks that were circulating at the time.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: September 29, 2016 09:10PM

I think it means don't laugh at those old men who are dishing out silly rules.

Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: September 30, 2016 12:02AM

You might actually have a point there.

Posted by: evergreen ( )
Date: September 29, 2016 09:44PM

I lost faith in a God who was stuck in the 19th century with his commandments regarding loud laughter, booze and women's roles.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2016 09:44PM by evergreen.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 30, 2016 12:38AM

It Means: take Everything in life 'Dead Serious', as in Not to have any fun...

Eye on the Ball

Shoulder to the Wheel

Be engaged in a good cause (tscc)

etc.

Posted by: boogieboogie ( )
Date: October 01, 2016 04:43AM

well, according to my father it meant that I was being too loud with my friends and if I laughed too loud it was against God, and all my friends would think I was foolish like a clown.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 01, 2016 07:24AM

Reverence is an inner feeling of admiration, not a deadpan outer facial expression.

There are so many silly laughable beliefs in mormonism that the whole thing would fall apart if members started laughing out loud. The temple rituals are silly as is the regulation underwear and the worship of buildings and books.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: October 01, 2016 02:29PM

I'd place my bet that ole sleazy Joe indulged frequently in loud laughter at his wine parties and such. The facts show that he liked his good times both with wine and women/young girls.

I support the idea that he added loud laughter to the temple ceremony to prevent members from, hmmm let's see, belly-laughing at the ridiculous ceremony that he was trying to sell them as being sacred and essential to their salvation. I recall reading that Joey was pressed to come up with something in a hurry to justify polygamy....meaning that he did not take a lot of time and thought in coming up with the temple ceremony.

Who and what always came first?.....Joey and what he wanted!!!

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: October 01, 2016 03:17PM

At the time of the admonition, I believe it meant, "Don't laugh at Joseph Smith or at Mormonism."

Posted by: misterzelph ( )
Date: October 01, 2016 07:47PM

chuckles, ha-ha's and tee-hee's are acceptable.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.