Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Justin ( )
Date: September 28, 2016 07:07PM

A friend of mine heard from the grandchild of a general authority who heard from a receptionist in the church office building that Sunday School would be eliminated. The Sacrament meeting will be cut to one hour and RS/Priesthood lesson will be combined to make the women more equal. Only a priesthood holder can teach the class. This would be a great change and relief to thd bedraggled members and would save on electricity.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: alaskawild ( )
Date: September 28, 2016 07:10PM

sounds like rubbish. I've heard these so called rumors before. I would have stayed active if this change was made ;)

Posted by: Justin ( )
Date: September 29, 2016 04:47AM

it was just a joke.

Posted by: yorkie ( )
Date: September 28, 2016 07:13PM

How does only allowing a priesthood holder to teach a joint class make women more equal??

Posted by: batting eyes ( )
Date: September 28, 2016 08:12PM

yorkie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How does only allowing a priesthood holder to
> teach a joint class make women more equal??

Well, duh. Wimin would get more smarter if they wuz only taught by the men. Wimin shouldn't be workin outside the home anyways.

;/

Posted by: Exmoron ( )
Date: September 29, 2016 02:52PM

Exactly...wimmin would learn so much from men if they would just listen and apply what we teach them. They would be better wimmin's in the long run. I'm sure that the object lesson there.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 29, 2016 03:00PM

What they really need to do is to get members to further covenant to receive mormon lobotomies. Then the leaders would give them weekly electric shock treatments to rejuvenate their glowing testimonies.

Posted by: tzohar ( )
Date: September 28, 2016 07:31PM

Obviously a total lie. But, it would be nice if they passed the sacrament, eliminated the sacrament talks, and went straight to Sunday School.

Posted by: cocoaberry ( )
Date: September 29, 2016 06:56PM

I can't remember the last time I heard a genuinely -good- and -valid- and -teaching/uplifting- sacrament talk. I'm sure I can count those worthwhile talks on one hand. There's just no point except to further convert those assigned to give the talks.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: September 28, 2016 08:14PM

I'm surprised that the Morg hasn't lengthened its meetings to a four-hour block. The additional hour would be, "Strengthening the Members Meeting."

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: September 28, 2016 11:47PM

Don't give them any more ideas!!!

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: September 28, 2016 09:12PM

Yeah, clamp down even more on the one meeting for women, by women (under the direction of the almighty priesthood, of course). That's going to put those uppity wimmin in their place!

Won't happen.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: September 28, 2016 09:29PM

Just in today....saw this on KSL's website just now.

Shaking up Sunday School teaching.

Doesn't look like they are doing away with it AT ALL

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865663412/Shaking-up-Sunday-School-Revolution-in-LDS-teaching-seeks-to-activate-learners.html

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: September 29, 2016 12:28AM

I talked a little bit about the subject but broke the class up into groups and gave each group a concept to discuss and present to the rest of the class. They couldn't just sit there passively.

The RS pres later ripped me a new one, very painfully, and that led directly to my resignation.

Looks like now I was just ahead of my time. . .

It still hurts when I think about how spiteful she was. I tried to defend myself by saying that the class members were thinking, discussing, forming their own opinions. . .

She came back with a glacial "They are not there to think. They are not there to discuss. They are there to learn correct doctrine."

I called the bishop that night and told him to find a new teacher, as I would not be back. Not long after that, I left, for good. For years, I did not think I was "offended," just pissed off. But it boils down to pretty much the same thing.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: September 29, 2016 05:26AM

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 29, 2016 02:38PM

Wow, that was a great teaching strategy to use and I bet the members of the class felt that time really flew by!

Posted by: thorn ( )
Date: September 29, 2016 05:59AM

Teachers councils=more meetings? Interactive learning what for? The same old recycled crap. The curriculum is what needs the change, start with actual history and go outside the manuals and make the lessons historical and interesting.

Posted by: Gheco ( )
Date: September 28, 2016 10:36PM

If they did get rid of an hour they could cram more wards in a single stake house.

Obviously, with the fields white with harvest, they need the room for the exponential LDS growth.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: September 28, 2016 11:43PM

Ah, for the good old days!

When I was still in the church (60 years ago!) it was before the "block".

Priesthood meeting was at 9:30 am, sunday school at 10:30, where they passed the sacrament. We were out by noon. Sacrament meeting was at 7:00 pm. Relief Society was on Wednesday afternoon. Primary was on Tuesday afternoon, after school. MIA was on Tuesday evening. There was no Monday night "family home evening." We were all generally at home in the evening almost every evening (except Tuesday).

We often didn't even go to sacrament meeting,because we had had the sacrament that morning in sunday school.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: September 29, 2016 03:51PM

I'm old enough to remember that meeting schedule, before it went to the block system. Both were bad in how they played havoc with Sunday in terms of where I'd rather be.

We had primary on Wednesdays, after school during the schoolyear. Summers it was on Wednesdays but in the morning. MIA was Tuesday eves. Family home night the usual Monday. Since Saturdays were the days we spent getting ready for Sunday, there wasn't very much time left over to just be.

Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: September 29, 2016 12:49AM

The best part about RS, for me, was no men there. I liked being with the ladies.

Posted by: Dennis Moore ( )
Date: September 29, 2016 06:26PM

liesarenotuseful Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The best part about RS, for me, was no men there.
> I liked being with the ladies.

Not me! I hated RS with a passion.

Dennis

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: September 29, 2016 08:17AM

Isn't it far more likely that they will double down by adding an hour, making 100% home teaching contact part of the temple recommend, bringing back morning and afternoon meetings, the old 1.5-Sunday school meetings, complete with 2.5-minute talks and hymn practice, putting primary meeting on a Wednesday afternoon, so that mothers would be forced stay home from the work place and take and pick up the kids, things like this? Mormonism is bleeding members. Time to double down on the members!

Wake me up when they start selling box lunches between morning and afternoon stake conference meetings again. I always liked that part. Or when they restore All-Church Softball.

Posted by: gheco ( )
Date: September 29, 2016 08:35AM

They would be far better off to completely remove all services and do it all via FaceTime in the members home.

This would allow them to sell off the prime real estate meetinghouses, sell the equipment to the members to meet online, sell advertising before, after and during the cyber meetings, install malware to keep tabs on members, and hold an increased, volunteer home teaching program for members home inspections.

Pre prayed sacrament kits could be sent to members homes via new service positions of the Aaronic priesthood, which would again allow another home inspection. The young men delivering the sacrament should be fitted with identifying arm bands for ease of identification.

Meetings and talks could be in a forum style for ease of modifying, censoring, and keeping with the spirit.

Cyber meetings are the future.

Posted by: en passant ( )
Date: September 29, 2016 09:34AM

Fail. They would never eliminate Sunday School. Sunday School is their best opportunity to dig deep into the hearts and minds of little children, long before they start Priesthood and Mutual (or whatever they call it now). And also into the minds of women who have aged out of their youth groups, who may be missing the indoctrination of Relief Society for economic reasons.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: September 29, 2016 02:53PM

Given a choice between two hour blocks and three hour blocks, I choose NEITHER.

:D

Posted by: L Tom Petty ( )
Date: September 29, 2016 03:18PM

If you are in any kind of leadership position it is typically 4-5 hours with leadership meetings added in. You are lucky in TSCC if you only attend for 3 hours.

Since the decline of the Mormon church is all the members' fault (as is everything else) don't expect them to go easy. If anything, the members need to step it up and be whipped into spending more time at the church.

Heil Bednar!

Posted by: missionarymomma ( )
Date: September 29, 2016 06:45PM

I heard a Mormon stories episode w/ Ted Lyons (I think that's his name)who said they experimented w/ 2 hour blocks in Chile.

Posted by: Cpete ( )
Date: September 29, 2016 07:55PM

Still 120 min to long.

Posted by: Cartman ( )
Date: September 29, 2016 09:38PM

Church was "only" 2:40 each week when I was a child. It was shortened to accommodate 3 wards meeting in the same building.

When we visited Salt Lake City, I was pissed that after 2:40 of church at my grandparents ward we were not let out. I was thinking WTF; where is the bell indicating that our time is up.

It was when I was a little older that I realized that church is normally 3 hours long instead of 2:40.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.