Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Kristy ( )
Date: September 28, 2016 01:12PM

Coffee reduces the risk Group II diabetes by up to 60%, reduces risk of dementia, and reduces risk of some skin cancers, and on and on. The link shows some times coffee would not be good for you, but in all the pro's far outweigh any con.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/wellness/4-times-you-should-never-ever-drink-coffee/ss-AAiM4oS?li=BBnb7Kz

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elders Quorum Drop-out ( )
Date: September 28, 2016 01:20PM

Not to defend the guy, but he was all for coffee and alcohol. His idea was for those things to be moderation in all things. Not complete abstinence. Starting in the early 1800s, alcoholism was a huge problem in the US and many women's groups were speaking out against it. The 1830s was a peak time for those women's parades. It wasn't til the prohibition era that the Church made alcohol an actual sin. Which, in turn, turned the whole WoW as a commandment and not just moderation.

Posted by: April ( )
Date: September 28, 2016 01:28PM

Talking to my tbm brother the other day he said he thought the coffee thing was actually not because coffee was bad but because coffee would eventually turn into super sugary, bad for you drinks. (He's not a fan of the soda pop craze).

Honestly sugar is probably the biggest health threat we face and I'm not sure why that wasn't included (besides the fact that it wasn't from some supernatural, fortune telling source of course). I also don't know why if a church has a health code, why it isn't even talked about now. Green Tea means you can't be with your family forever, but drink pure sugar and you'll get extra wives.

Posted by: AnonnoAttheMoment ( )
Date: September 28, 2016 07:55PM

One can excuse men in the 1830s for not thinking of sugar as potential health threat. Diabetes was scarcely understood, and Type 2 diabetes (which we used to call adult-onset diabetes because it took that long to develop), scarcely existed. There was much less sugar in the average diet (and no high-fructose corn syrup), and people in all walks of life got more outdoor exercise than is typical now, just from hard work or simply having to walk so much to get to places. Obesity was unusual and obese children/young adults were unknown.

Even in 1900 the most common causes of death were infectious diseases--gastrointestinal, TB, pneumonia. Then stroke. Diabetes wasn't even in the top 10.

Coffee is great stuff. By elevating the 19th century crank health advice of the WoW to the status of the 11th Commandment, LDS really did its members a disservice.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: September 28, 2016 01:41PM

He might've made more sense had he included donuts with coffee.

Mmm... mmm... good. Like a whole hearted addiction, why go half-way when you can go all the way?!

Date: September 28, 2016 01:45PM

I like where your heads at! ;) lol

Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: September 28, 2016 01:48PM

The single cancer that is the scientific evidence is strongest in suggesting coffee is helpful in preventing is ENDOMETRIAL cancer, that is, cancer that originates in the lining of the womb.

I did not drink coffee for 50 something years, thanks to Joseph's Myth.

In my mid-50s, I ended up with a particularly aggressive form of endometrial cancer. They said I'd probably die within 3 years, though I am still alive.

I take anti-cancer meds, anti-cancer health supplements, eat a healthy diet, and exercise regularly.

And I DRINK COFFEE now!

The so-called word of wisdom didn't protect me from endometrial cancer.

Maybe drinking coffee might help a bit, as I try to fight the return of this cancer.

Anyway, its worth a try.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: September 28, 2016 01:51PM

Southern ExMo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe drinking coffee might help a bit, as I try
> to fight the return of this cancer.
>
> Anyway, its worth a try.

We are behind you, Southern ExMO...all the way!!!

:) :) :)

Date: September 28, 2016 02:17PM

Ditto this!^^^^^

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 28, 2016 01:59PM

I haven't seen where Joe specifically mentioned coffee; wasn't it 'hot drinks' (beverages) in his 'revelation'/advice?

Also, tscc voted to accept the WoW as a commandment much later (date = ?) in Ewtah.

my comment: This 'voting' may be considered a precedent that modifies what God revealed to Joe!

Date: September 28, 2016 02:21PM

The members at the time were confused as to what "hot drinks" meant too. So Hyrum cleared it up in conference and said it meant "black tea and coffee".

It was right around the prohibition era Grant (?) made it official commandment. I suspect, like every major church "revelation", it came by political and social pressure.

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: September 28, 2016 02:28PM

And all those Mormons who drank coffee, tea, and alcohol before the blanket prohibition on all of it are just as saved as those who came afterward. Whereas, I would think that when you found out that your great-great-grandfather and LDS leader drank whiskey, you'd want to submit his name to the temple to re-do his baptism, endowment, etc. You know... Just in case.

Posted by: qanae ( )
Date: September 28, 2016 02:24PM

I forgot where I read it, but I recall it was a popular notion during this time that hot drinks were the cause of many maladies. Hot chocolate was also included in the No-No list with early church leaders. JS was a pro at taking other's popular ideas of the time (degrees of glory, Israelite Indians, etc.), plagiarizing and integrating them as coming direct from God. update with link later.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2016 02:25PM by qanae.

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: September 28, 2016 02:44PM

I, too, thought the WoW said "hot drinks". Here at the Assisted Living, one of the older, TBM women looks disapprovingly at my coffee every morning while she sips her habitual hot chocolate! It makes me crazy and although I've been tempted to point out to her the hypocrisy, I have managed to ignore her judgemental looks.

Posted by: Rameupmtom ( )
Date: September 28, 2016 08:10PM

No need to ignore her judgmental looks. Just smile kindly, say good morning, then ask if she is enjoying her "hot drink". When she says that she is, you can say "Yeah, I know what you mean. There's something about hot drink's that are just so good for the belly." Take another draw on your coffee, smile benignly, and amble off.

Date: September 28, 2016 08:13PM

I'm just gonna leave this here....

https://youtu.be/0RGnEJRkIDA

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 28, 2016 08:33PM

D&C 89.

Sustained as a commandment 9.9.1851

Dialogue has an interesting article on this subject:

http://www.dialoguejournal.com/wp-content/uploads/sbi/articles/Dialogue_V14N03_68.pdf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2016 08:47PM by GNPE.

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: September 29, 2016 01:28AM

Our government education system does a poor job training us to analyze studies.

I have a hard time believing we are all born with a coffee deficiency. This worship of coffee and other drugs is much like religion - you practice faith and pick and choose which studies to believe. And you ignore the negative effects and tout the positive.

And there's the concept that correlation is not causation. Just because coffee drinkers had less of a disease does not mean coffee caused the benefit. May be the coffee displaced worse drinks that they might have consumed.

For example, most people guzzle soda, which leads to diabetes. If you drink coffee instead, probably less risk. But you could also drink water without the negative effects of coffee.

I don't get the whole mentality that we have to have one drug or another to get through the day, whether it comes in energy drinks, coffee, booze, weed, tobacco, or whatever.

That seems to be the basic belief of most people I see. I spend much of my time at work picking up containers of energy drinks young guys leave laying around the warehouses.

Date: September 29, 2016 01:36AM

May be.

Although I will say that my addiction to chocolate decreased in direct proportion to consumption of tea and coffee beverages once I set aside my Mormon taboos.

Now I drink tea & coffee in moderation. I used to devour chocolate, I no longer do. The connection is/was of course the benefit I derived from the caffeine. Didn't realize that was the reason for my being chocoholic, until I was able to let it go.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: September 29, 2016 01:49AM

I went without it for the 17 years I was a Mormon. I've never cared for the taste of coffee, but I really missed my tea.

Going back to steaming hot tea (in any number of flavors!!) during cold weather and iced tea in warm weather has been BLISSFUL!! My DH bought me a package of those little containers of amaretto-flavored creamer to add to my tea. What a delight, to sip while watching a great movie on TV!

Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: September 29, 2016 02:19AM

Amyjo Wrote:
> May be.
>
> Although I will say that my addiction to chocolate
> decreased in direct proportion to consumption of
> tea and coffee beverages once I set aside my
> Mormon taboos.
>
> Now I drink tea & coffee in moderation. I used to
> devour chocolate, I no longer do. The connection
> is/was of course the benefit I derived from the
> caffeine. Didn't realize that was the reason for
> my being chocoholic, until I was able to let it
> go.

Thank you for opening my eyes as to why my crazy TBM mother is a chocoholic! As in she actually hides stashes of it in her room. I never made the connection before. I don't know how much caffeine is in chocolate, but perhaps she eats enough that she's addicted to the caffeine and not just the sugar. I've always wondered how she could even function with so many children and not ever have a sip of any caffeine. It's all coming together now. :-)

Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: September 29, 2016 02:27AM

I attended a family reunion this summer where we all shared a big rented house. Half of us are exmo, half TBMs, plus a few nevermos. I made sure to bring coffee for all of us that drink it. My TBM mom actually pulled my sister into a room (is this typical TBM behavior or what?) to berate her for her hubby drinking coffee 'in front of everyone! He is a returned missionary!' I guess my mom doesn't know they are both on the brink of having their names removed. Oh, and who gives a shit. Oh, and how nice treating her like a child.

WoW: no hot drinks, but hot chocolate and herbal teas are ok.
Hmmm, must be because of the caffeine then. Oh wait, TBMs all drink caffeinated soda! Oh wait, must be because....
Makes sense!

Edited to add that this is one of my Mormon triggers!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2016 02:29AM by bluebutterfly.

Date: September 29, 2016 02:58AM

Am sipping a hot herbal tea right now.

W/chamomile, peppermint, ginger, lavendar & orange peel.

Middle of night, can't sleep. :/

No caffeine before breakfast. ;o)

I have my annual physical exam tomorrow. If I don't get some rest I'm going to be a zombie.

Zzzzzzz......

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 29, 2016 04:14PM

Free Man Wrote:
> I have a hard time believing we are all born with
> a coffee deficiency.

We're not. It's just that there are ingredients in coffee (like there are in other substances, like anti-oxidant rich fruits) that mitigate or negate other harmful effects.

> This worship of coffee and
> other drugs is much like religion - you practice
> faith and pick and choose which studies to
> believe. And you ignore the negative effects and
> tout the positive.

There's no "worship." And the OP mentioned the "negative effects" (which are few). He didn't cherry-pick.

> And there's the concept that correlation is not
> causation. Just because coffee drinkers had
> less of a disease does not mean coffee caused the
> benefit. May be the coffee displaced worse
> drinks that they might have consumed.

The vast majority of studies have controlled for that possibility, and are generally followed up with specific tests for the "active ingredients" in coffee to verify their specific effects.

> For example, most people guzzle soda, which leads
> to diabetes. If you drink coffee instead,
> probably less risk. But you could also drink
> water without the negative effects of coffee.

Drinking water is great; water lacks the active ingredients in coffee shown to have the positive effects coffee does.

> I don't get the whole mentality that we have to
> have one drug or another to get through the day,
> whether it comes in energy drinks, coffee, booze,
> weed, tobacco, or whatever.

I didn't see anybody insisting we had to have one drug or another to get through any day. That coffee is beneficial in mitigating or preventing some diseases doesn't mean that.
It *does* show, as the OP pointed out, that the supposedly-from-god-divine-commandment not to drink it is patently stupid.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: September 29, 2016 03:42AM

Not drinking coffee almost killed me.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: September 29, 2016 02:26PM

The perks (pun intended) of National Coffee Day when you live far away from the Morg are that it gives your boss a reason to have to think of a meeting to have at Starbucks. She keeps track of National Donut day and National Bagel Day for the same reason. To go to Dunkin Donuts or Einstein Bagels for coffee. Oops, I mean for a meeting.

Date: September 29, 2016 03:18PM

I never understood Mormons love affair with Postum. Compared to coffee they are not even close.

It's made from barley, not very tasty, and certainly doesn't have nowhere near the same benefits drinking coffee does.

And yet, Mormon coffee is/was Postum for the longest time.

Has this changed in recent past? Most Mormon homes I've been to keep Postum in their pantries.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2016 03:19PM by Amyjo.

Date: September 29, 2016 03:58PM

So fun fact: When I was TBM I opened a "Coffee Alternative Coffee Shop" in Provo! It was a mix of grains and herbs I concocted and it actually tasted super close to coffee. I made all the drinks that Starbucks make! What's funny is I would have TBMs come in and get a hot chocolate because they felt my "alternative" was the "appearance of evil". Stupid people.

Date: September 29, 2016 04:17PM

It all began with a Holocaust survivor, NYC, and a dollar and a dream! :o)

http://www.greatbigstory.com/stories/the-birth-of-the-greek-coffee-cup?iid=ob_homepage_deskrecommended_pool

Posted by: eaglejedi ( )
Date: September 30, 2016 01:33AM

I have to meet with a lot of TBM's in my job. I try very hard to schedule all of my meetings with them at Starbucks. i fein innocence the they balk at the idea. Most will meet, but like to point out that they don't drink coffee. I always ask them, so tell me, what was section 89 all about anyway. When I was on my mission, I could not for the life of me figure out how we could drink Coke, and drink Hot Chocolate, but Coffee is bad. So what is it about coffee that is so terrible in God's eye's? Is it because it is hot? Or is it because of the caffeine. None of them can answer that question. I just find it amusing. And, I also get a little angry because I know deep down in their hollow souls, they are judging me for my rejection of the so called gospel...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.